Omnia i8000 restoration after soaking in water, need resetting

Guest scherer

Like said in the title, my i8000 got soaked in the pool (damn cheap underwater ziplocks!). I took it apart, dried everything and cleaned it immediately. Now it will start when pressing and holding the power-on key (onhook, right lower corner on face), but oly until showing the "Samsung Omnia II" message white on black. After that, nothing more will happen. Also, no way to shut it off except removing the battery.

It is the same after soft reset (reset button under rear cover), "hard reset" (pressing volume-up, lock, offhook, then power-on key and wait until vibration and then 3 seconds more, even 10 seconds) and removing battery for 6+ hours.

Have I missed anything or is there a hint someone can give me?

Guest darkworldzz

well. i was reading into 'recovering soaked phone' like long time ago when i was still at motomodders,

it says that you will need to open the phone up and use alcohol to wipe the parts like the battery connecters etc.. then either put it to dry in oven or similar. then try switchin on again. or hard reset or try connecting to octans and see if boot loader comes on. well at least it works on my motorola E1 tho.

But perhaps some1 else can help you. or try the smasung centre :)

Guest GunnarKarlsson
Have I missed anything or is there a hint someone can give me?

Ohhh

I feel your pain...

+1 for the tip of cleaning the interior with alcohol and let it dry completely.

it has kind of worked before with some phones I have restored after water damage, but there was always something that did not work afterwards.

Good luck anyway

//Gunnar

Yup, lots of isopropryl alcohol to wash out all the water.

Then submerge it in a pot of rice (not cooked!) for up to 48 hours, this will draw out any moisture.

Then insert the battery and SIM and give it another try.

Good luck, at least the screen is still working so there is hope

Guest scherer

Thanx for all your compassion ... can really need it.

I did the cleaning with isopropy alcohol and put it together again. Thats how I got to the current situation. Boots until the "Samsung Omnia" (white on black) appears and stays there like on old stubborn donkey, not even shutting down works (have to remove battery). Activating soft reset (reset button under rear cover) does the same; also the hard reset button trick.

I got hold of octans and started it, does not detect the phone. There is however, the issue with the samsung drivers. I got the driver package as noted in another thread here, but these seem to be for winXP and I've only got Win7 here. Anybody have any clues for me ?

Guest scherer

Thank You again averybody for your support! Furtunately my Omnia II is well again after some repeated battery draining and power cycling.

As a side effect, I got hooked at playing around with modified firmware and will be back soon, try to contribute something!