IPhone 4 : The mythbuster

Ok after 2 years my OmniaII started to show terminal symtoms like bluetooth tethering failure and camera button malfunction, the phone finally rest in peace and never wake up.

So i quickly grabbed a new phone before i face similar fate like my old phone.

Now my mobile health is improving with the new iphone 4 (duh) and i like to share or rather bust some myths regarding the iphone. These are what i found after 2 weeks with the phone. (positive and negative)

Good Points

Myth 1 - None or poor Exchange support.

IOS4 has the best Exchange support, i cant believe it myself, mail from my company 's exchange server works better than WM6.5. I dont have to install certificate at all. The phone does it automatically. The push email is more faster than any windows phone can "push".

And handling other emails (streamyx mail, hotmail, gmail etc) is a breeze with very nice interface. Seriously im still in shock.:eek:

Myth 2 - Poor tethering support

I cant believe that IP4 tethering is so easy. Just plugin the cable or connect with bluetooth and you are connected to the net. Compare to WM, i have to open an app called Internet Sharing to enable tethering.

And the speed really blows me away. Never in my mobile life my phone can connect with the 3G network more than 1Mbps, with Iphone 4 my connection is >2Mbps. This is more than my home broadband connection. Double Shocker!

Myth 3 - Safari never as good as Opera Mobile and Skyfire

Yes i agree Safari doesnt support flash, but i have never done so much with mobile browser before with other OS than the Iphone. I paid all my bills, transfer money with paypal, shopping stuff from ebay. It is so much easier due to stable keyboard, memory handling, web form-handling of safari.

Never done all these with opera mobile and skyfire on WM before.

Myth 4 - Double LEDs flash is brighter and better

Busted. I cant believe that Iphone 4 small LED is few light candles brighter than my omnia II double LEDs. This is a real shocker!

And it works great on capturing video in the dark.

Myth 5 - Most of the Apps are crap.

Busted. I have replaced most apps that i usually used for my Windows phone namely facebook, google maps, yahoo messenger,solat time, online radio, wireless keyboard etc with those from Apps Store.

To my surprised they're all so redefined, with proper notification and beautiful interface. Integrated well with the phone system with extra functions.

OMG who could expect yahoo messenger can video call like a desktop with video quality is so so good and clear even without wifi. Shocker!

And that doesnt stop there, there are tonnes of apps that i only dream having in WPhone made available for Iphone especially local stuff like local Tv and radio, local flight, traffic camera, local cinema showtime and seat booking.

Now the bad one

Myth 6 - Jailbreaking is everything

Ok i did jailbreak the phone to ensure that my Wphone's lifstyle and legacy of getting free softwares and customization can be continued with iphone, but i was wrong.

Cydia is just another marketplace with tonnes of apple unauthorized apps that are not free. SHOCKER!

Im surprised to enable 3G video call and Wifi tethering, you have to pay for it? What? Oh come on, the name already jailbreaking? Hello

The jailbreaking have so many versions until it took me a while to choose which one to install and with so many steps (2 second press this and release this button then 10 seconds hold this button) OMG anyone can screw up and brick the phone (it took me more than 10 times to get it right. This is so different from replacing ROM in Wphone which is less hassle.

And it wont be permanent. Once you update the phone using Itunes the jailbreak will break too. Which is a good thing if you dont need cydia vaginalis (bacteria in pussy is clamydia vaginalis, this is her cousin) in your phone.

Myth 7 - Voice Control is amazing

BUSTED: Microsoft Voice Control from the ancient era of Windows Mobile is way advanced than the voice control in the Iphone. You cant even get the command right and it doesnt confirm with you the voice command but straight away executing them. Ended up i was mistakenly calling wrong people these few days and keep apologizing.

I know you can voice to text (mail and sms) with Vlingo but the app is not free.

I wonder when exactly fully functional google voice will be available for the iphone. Then i review again this function.

Myth 8 - Iphone camera LED is the best

yes i agreed with the above statement but all my videos and pictures shot with flash on causing red eye effect to everyone. My nite photos and videos involving human looks like it was a party of vampires.

Myth 9 - Iphone can do cloud computing

I still doubt that the paid MobileMe is as good as Microsoft MyPhone which is free, dispersing every data on your phone including your sms, contact, calendar, photo, video, files fragmenting to thousands servers in the world so that nobody can read it and give it back to you when you needed them.

Sync with google mail? i dont think so.

Myth 10 - Google Service for the Iphone will not make you buy Android phone

Until someone successfully port Froyo or Gingerbread onto Iphone 4, good android features are just for android phones.

Im looking forward for triple booting iphone with android and wp7

nice but you can not compare 2 totaly diferent in philosophy devices

for example you need a pc to activate all iphones and just plug battery and sim to Omnia II

or you can put everything without jailbreak to O2

for me you can choose freedoom over total control

and the best operative system for mobile devices is Android that is the future I opperative system that have the best of Winmobiles 6,5.3 and IOS10

second is Bada and Meego os

and remember WINDOWSPHONE ARE DEAD FOR NOW

Guest Karucifer
WINDOWSPHONE ARE DEAD FOR NOW

orly?

PC connectivity isn't a dealbreaker for most, I doubt many iOS owners even recall the activation process.

Likewise, there's the choice of jailbreaking if you want "freedom".

Less bilge please.

Guest ray1234

you are comparing phones in 2 completely different generation, bear in mind the i8000 was nearly more than 17 months old, in phone terms 17 months is like a lightyear. I think iphone is easy to use and that is why it is selling so well. WM6.5 is only for those who knows how to tweak the system, that's why it died, because a lot of people will sell it before they even know how to use it.

In terms of web experience, I think both Safari and Opera does quite good jobs. I don't think you'll have problem with Opera surfing sites and paying bills, there may be a few tweaks you have to do with Opera (like changing user agent), but once you've done it, it should be fine. I just compared my i8000 Opera with my friend's iphone 4 on the same phone carrier, and my i8000 still loads web page faster than ip4. If you are seriously using i8000 to browse the web, one of the most important settings I found is to disable the cache, somehow the cache doesn't work for Opera in i8000, it is a lot slower loading from cache so loading from the net everytime is actually faster.

On the keyboard, have you tried Swype on i8000? it's way better and faster than IP4's keyboard despite IP4's wonderful capacitive screen with multitouch. I can type faster with my thumb alone compared to using both hands on IP4, it's one of the reason I'm staying with WM. I heard Android has also got Swype, so Android maybe my next phone....

On tethering, I don't think it is related to the phone. my i8000 already tethers at top speed at about 200-300kB/s, that's the fastest the phone carrier will do at 7.2mbps HSDPA. I use WMwifirouter, don't know which program you use. If it is bluetooth, it won't reach that speed due to bluetooth transmission limitation, I can only do 70-80kB/s tethering on bluetooth.

Edited by ray1234

In terms of web experience, I think both Safari and Opera does quite good jobs. I don't think you'll have problem with Opera surfing sites and paying bills, there may be a few tweaks you have to do with Opera (like changing user agent), but once you've done it, it should be fine. I just compared my i8000 Opera with my friend's iphone 4 on the same phone carrier, and my i8000 still loads web page faster than ip4. If you are seriously using i8000 to browse the web, one of the most important settings I found is to disable the cache, somehow the cache doesn't work for Opera in i8000, it is a lot slower loading from cache so loading from the net everytime is actually faster.

thx for the tips :)

On the keyboard, have you tried Swype on i8000? it's way better and faster than IP4's keyboard despite IP4's wonderful capacitive screen with multitouch. I can type faster with my thumb alone compared to using both hands on IP4, it's one of the reason I'm staying with WM. I heard Android has also got Swype, so Android maybe my next phone....

same over here :)

Guest tropolite

Nice to hear you are happy with iOS4.

I must say tho, your O2 issues, as some others have pointed out already may be just on your phone. I've never had a problem with Exchange connectivity or certificates. Exchange just needs to be setup correctly. I have WM 6.5.x, iPhones, and droids on Exchange and they are all performing without a glitch. No cert issuing. Push is fast. And my gmail accounts on O2 along with my business mail runs smoothly set at different schedules.

Never had a problem with tethering my O2.

Camera/flash - I believe there's really no comparison. Samsung's camera technology is fantastic. Crisp clear images. I normally have flash off as it gets in the way most of the time. 720 HD vid, great on the O2.

As ray1234 mentions already Swype... omg... how cool! This has to be the best keyboard I've used. But, this type of thing is purely subjective.

chokia, it's good to see you are happy with your phone. We'd be in a state if there were no competition and no choice of unit a person can use. However I just wonder if you upgraded your O2's system at all as doing so has made significant difference to the standard WM6.1 or the first 6.5 and 6.5.x updates that came out.

Guest eldwist

Ahahah, chokia, funny your defense of the worst IPhone ever done... I'm sorry but you threw away your (too much) money... Try to compare the iPhone4 with all the new devices: considering both the new windows phone 7 and the Android phones (Samsung Omnia 7, Galaxy S, Htc hd7,etc...) you can "shocking" notice that IPhone is far to be the best device... Definitely also the retina display isn't as good as an AMOLED (Samsung) even if it has more "pixel density" (but the difference is not so big in a similar 3.5" display 800X480)... And what about the useless antenna that you can't touch if you don't wont to lose the network signal... IPhone is dead, I'm sorry. :rolleyes:

Edited by eldwist