Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

Guest Dwarlor
A reboot fixed it for me.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that already; didn't work...

I'm now reinstalling the hole bit and we'll see what will happen...

how do i format the microsd using samsung settings?

cant find anywhere how to do so

In Windows Mobile:

Open Main Menu -> Settings -> Memory Settings -> Storage Card -> Format -> Yes.

NOTE: This will erase all of the contents of the SD card, make sure you back everything up on your PC or My Storage.

Guest erikcas

Maybe off topic, if so please disregard this post. It is just for input for devs..

First of all, think you guys are doing an awesome job for the community!

Installed on my B7610. Running for 5 hours now. Made and received multiple phonecalls. Sent and received multiple text msgs. No problems with that!

However, I have some issues I see on my B7610:

* WiFi automatically turns off after 20 secs.

* Time is going way to fast. This only seems to happen if I leave the phone untouched and screen is blacked out

* Bluetooth does not turn on.

I'm very pleased to see Android running on Omnia II!

Again, please disregard if off-topic!

Grtz

Edited by erikcas

I have one question... maybe it's stupid but.....

does it matter what winmo rom it is?

I mean is it better if it's some lite rom or stock from samsung, or it does make no difference???

Thanks

good question...i was thinking about it too...here android freeze when i try to enable wifi even with update and after that i can't start it again...maybe it can be some rom problem and made some people run and other not...

sorry my english

Everything seems to have installed ok. After reboot, I run haret.exe from root of My Storage and Android boots up fine. I have no sim in the phone, and when I hit hardware phone button to see what the phone keypad looks like, I can't(don't know?) how to get back to main screen. Also, how do I confirm that o2bupdate.tar was installed( I put it in the root of My Storage).

Thanks

TRoN

Everything seems to have installed ok. After reboot, I run haret.exe from root of My Storage and Android boots up fine. I have no sim in the phone, and when I hit hardware phone button to see what the phone keypad looks like, I can't(don't know?) how to get back to main screen. Also, how do I confirm that o2bupdate.tar was installed( I put it in the root of My Storage).

Thanks

TRoN

to get back on home screen just use camera button....

yes the battery is very important and need to be drastically improved, any solution dev guys?

Sorry I really don't understand posts like this. As you are following this topic quite some time already you must know dev's are fighting with that so long and working hard on other things in parallel as well. Do you think they will provide solution as 1-2-3? Patience my friend...

Guest FactionOne

WOW.

Thanks to all the dev team (Almar, Sandor and PHJ) for their amazing work. I'm mostly content with my 6.5.3 setup, but to have all the new ground of Android available too is a fantastic prospect, and likewise a great achievement by all those involved...

I guess some thanks to Samsung too, for cooperating so far - here's hoping they continue.

No complaints here (because I'm flat-out amazed to see Android booting on my i8000), just some observations:

I fudged the install using only my SD card (copied files from download to SD, moved to 'My Storage') as I can't put my hand on a USB cable atm; formatted my 4GB SDHC card (before Android setup) using the WinMo Samsung Settings. I 'slipstreamed' the upgrade as described by TIEfighter in Post #122 (Page 7) - because to a geek like me, that seems like a 'neat' way of doing it. I'm not sure whether it's yielded positive, null, or negative effect.

So, the initial setup seemed to go reasonably well; the command line bits preparing paritions etc. up to the reboot worked just fine. I started with haret.exe in the root of 'My Storage' the next time, and it took a little while, but booted Android. There were a few prompts to close or wait for processes as the GUI first started, I always hit wait. At the end of it, I had a prompt asking how I'd like to continue, with either a generic looking SDK script name, or something like 'Setup Wizard' - I chose the latter. I set-up the time & zone, date etc. and tried to skip the Google Account bit (so I could get myself on Wi-Fi first). After a bit of messing around I got to where I was going, but then the handset froze. I pulled the battery and headed back-in to Android.

Wi-Fi connected, I started the Market and proceded through the Google Account setup, that completed, I got the terms of service; but on agreeing (expecting it to load a landing page), the handset froze again. It'll boot Android to a point, but on attempting to unlock, I get:

"The process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." - the only option is a "Force Close" button. On hitting that it's followed with:

"The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." - again, just a "Force Close" button. When I hit that nothing happens, I can go back to the lock-screen to rinse-and-repeat, or just turn the device off and head back to WinMo.

I'm going to try a re-install (and probably with a USB lead so the setup files aren't converted over lots of different filesystems on their way to 'My Storage') and play with it some more, because I'm definitely hooked.

Perhaps the account/feedback above might be in some way useful?

Once again, big thanks to the dev team for their excellent work...

//R

EDIT:

On my second setup-run now, chose only one 'wait' on GUI setup this time, and I chose the SDKsetup script (noticed it's 'Default Action') at the prompt at the end. Managed to get out of the demo and account setup stuff, get time/zone configured and straight on to WiFi set-up. Connected to the network I've shut Android down and will restart before moving on to the next bits...

Edited by FactionOne

Guest chryzsh

Keys!

A lot to work on, but a lot of good as well. The thing I'm concerned about is the key-mapping. To go back you have to move the entire right hand to press the camera key, and might risk dropping the phone. Seems a way better idea of having hang-up key as a back and hang-up key. Let the camera be camera instead. Seems a lot more logic and efficient. Agree/disagree anyone?

Edited by chryzsh

i cant connect wifi..freezes everytime i try...and i only can get back to android after reinstall android...if i dont is stops on android name screen...why it happens???some help?

Edited by igorbr

Guest nonione

thanks to rbz i managed to format the sd card but know when i run the haret from the o2beta tells me to untar the ext2.tar from my storage, how can i untar it? or what im i doing worng?

Is there an app to install that will calibrate the screen. I can't seem to press any button located on the lower left of my screen(and therefore I can't ACCEPT MarketPlace agreement).

Edited by TRoN_1

Guest emptyara
1) Copied all the files from zip to my storage(1024 version)

2) ran haret from o2beta

3) it creates partition( if error occurs, format the SD card with samsung format inside samsung settings)

4) ran haret from My Storage

5) installed the 2d/3d drivers patch and update

I have a 8 GB class 4 MicroSDHC card...runs at great speed..i also have launcher pro with the 3d menu and it works fast

still cant get like yours... ;)

Guest FactionOne
thanks to rbz i managed to format the sd card but know when i run the haret from the o2beta tells me to untar the ext2.tar from my storage, how can i untar it? or what im i doing worng?

During setup on my device there was merely a prompt telling me that IT was extracting the ext2.tar from My Storage; I just let it be and it continued after a while. Are you sure it's saying that YOU need to do anything?

//R

EDIT: I'm re-instsalling now, the prompt I've got is "Untar ext2.tar.gz from Main Storage" - just leave it there and it will continue... (btw, I've got the handset plugged-in to a mains charger). Just don't touch it until you're back in WinMo, then run haret.exe from the root of My Storage (and not the O2BETA folder as before)

Edited by FactionOne

No. It's working quite fast.

Hm, I have the same problem with internet speed - 2.3MB in 0.5h.

Also when online, WiFi icon on the top of the screen shows only a white dot with 3 grey bars on top of it regardless how close I am to the wifi router.

Could type of wireless encryption have something to do with it (I'm using wpa-psk)?

Guest dajlourenco

i've tried many things.. got android working, but never got the home screen... somehow cant get rid of the google acount registration... it keeps asking me to connect with my account, and after syncing... asks again.. and somehow in that process, the android frizes... i reboot.. and keeps in the same thing.. after 2/3 reboots, the android logo appears, then a message :something like "android system process not responding".. i click "wait"... and the phone reboots... and thats the far I go with the android... ;) but it is already a great achievment... sorry for my english...

thanks so much to the devs...

So far i got it working more stable, dont know exactly why,..

still some apps that stop responding mostly marketplace , download from WIFI very very very slow,

haret not stable all the time, sometimes it fails booting up , stuck at bootscreen

also got lines on the screen if i lock the screen and unlock it, if i lock and unlock it again its gone

but he ! its a great start =D already like it more than WINMO,

Edited by jjrt

Guest nonione
During setup on my device there was merely a prompt telling me that IT was extracting the ext2.tar from My Storage; I just let it be and it continued after a while. Are you sure it's saying that YOU need to do anything?

//R

EDIT: I'm re-instsalling now, the prompt I've got is "Untar ext2.tar.gz from Main Storage" - just leave it there and it will continue... (btw, I've got the handset plugged-in to a mains charger). Just don't touch it until you're back in WinMo, then run haret.exe from the root of My Storage (and not the O2BETA folder as before)

thanks a lot man ;) its working now loading

feedback later!!!