Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

Guest Lt-MajorTom
How to install properly:

1. copy the original beta1 files to My Storage; ( http://87.229.73.80/beta1024.zip or http://87.229.73.80/beta512.zip)

2. run Haret from o2beta folder;

3. terminal text is running but no andoid logo or xwindow. It restart it self;

4. unpack the Radie's update package - February 4 2011 to My Storage root; ( http://www.4shared.com/file/_whhj7dR/Updates.html )

5. restart (using Haret from My Storage root). Andoid logo and everything;

6. copy beta2 files to My Storage root; ( http://87.229.73.80/o2bupdate.zip and http://87.229.73.80/o2b2filesys.zip)

7. restart. Everything looks fine. A couple of freezes, but after a couple of resets everything was running;

8. copy the o2b2update.tar.gz update from 2010.02.10 to My Storage root. Rename it to o2bupdate.tar.gz; ( http://o2droid.phj.hu/o2b2update.tar.gz )

9. restart. Android logo running smooth, everything is ok. GPRS data is ok and really fast.

(thanks to alexovy)

okay. This is very clear to me. although....

6. copy beta2 files to My Storage root; ( http://87.229.73.80/o2bupdate.zip and http://87.229.73.80/o2b2filesys.zip)

means unpacking it to my storage (means overwriting the zImage file)?

this might sound like a n00b question, but no question is dump to ask? (or more like me...blond or what?) :P

Edited by Lt-MajorTom

Guest voyteckst
pleease, developers, make a proper beta 2 Package, because right now everyone´s having his/her own version of android :-D

Maybe this weekend (maybe today?) it will be published, but without 2d/3d drivers.

Just one question, if i format my sd card and run haret from 02beta folder to create ext partition to sd, do i have to replace first original zimage which came in first release with the last one published the day before yesterday?

Guest problematika
Maybe this weekend (maybe today?) it will be published, but without 2d/3d drivers.

Nice, that would be great. Then just tell us how to put 2d/3d drivers into that package, and finally (i hope so!) everyone will be happy! :P Because this becoming a nightmare to collect all informations... :D

Guest TIEfighter
Nice, that would be great. Then just tell us how to put 2d/3d drivers into that package, and finally (i hope so!) everyone will be happy! :P Because this becoming a nightmare to collect all informations... :P

this is very easy :D you just have to use 7-Zip and open the ext2.tar.gz file and the file containing the 2d/3d libraries, and then drag and drop the 2d/3d libs into the right folder in ext2.tar.gz. I´ll make a detailed instruction as soon as the beta will be available

Anyway, many thanks for making a package available soon, because right now it´s very hard to get android working :huh:

Guest malavin
Hi.. wanna ask here, when i try install the ADB for windows 7 64 bit, the 3rd hardware shown on my laptop is S3C6410 Android ADB instead of "Samsung Android Composite ADB Interface or ADB testing interface". I am not be able to install the driver, Anyone can help me? Thanks...

Take a look in the Android ADB Interface.inf, you need the Device ID from your Phone in their. If you dont find your ID in the .inf, you must edit them like the post from E.C at Site 116...

Guest FactionOne

I've had some very mixed results on a few reinstalls of beta2; but have shared a lot of Sinistersky's experiences (previous page).

I posted about my experiences with my first fresh beta2 My Storage install; which were mixed - some things improved, others not so much; so I decided to do a reinstall, playing with different methods.

I cleared the partitions on My Storage and recreated FAT32 & EXT (tried both 2 & 3); I always processed the archives in Ubuntu; I tried extracting the o2b2filesys from the FAT32 partition (where they're initially placed) to the EXT partition, I tried copying them to the EXT before extract; I was using the fresh beta2 filesystem and nOObody's 2D/3D libs. I tried with and without the update to beta2 (3G & dalvikvm).

I had quite a few problems with different methods - hangs at the shell, at android splash, in apps, sleep-of-death, and lost sounds; but there was no regular pattern - sometimes installing with one method would be mostly OK but with some issues; then reinstalling with EXACTLY the same method, I found different issues.

The last install I did yesterday was the most interesting - at first boot, Android restarted just before the splash screen (2D/3D libs were in place); on the next boot it got into Android but the 'out-of-box' setup got stuck in a 'force close' loop. I was able to shut down normally. On the third boot, everything seemed to be working well.

I had working GSM/3G Data, WiFi too. Market was fine, apps installing OK. I installed a few apps (not too many - Advanced Task Killer, TweetDeck, Fancy Widget, APN OnOff Widget, WiFi OnOff Widget, ECB Cricket, Zimly, Stream Furious, IATA/ICAO Dictionary). Everything ran well; the IATA/ICAO app was able to create its database while I used tweetdeck etc; I listed to lots of music with Zimly. Charge would go up to 100% but drop too quickly (Android might show 20%, but if I reboot to WinMo there is a lot more); but on the whole there was no problem. Phone calls were fine (no earpiece cut-out), and although slow (a couple of presses and a few seconds' wait (sometimes with a quick glimpse of the shell before lock-screen showed)), but it would always wake up. Ringtones/Notifications were working.

After more than 8 hours, there was a hang (while the device was awake/I was using it); I had to remove the battery. After that the installation became unstable (hangs while awake and also sleep-of-death); so I decided to reinstall.

I reinstalled with EXACTLY the same method, but this time there were no hangs/reboots, and Android booted first time - I completed 'out of box' setup with no problem, shut down and booted Android again. 3G/WiFi are working, but sleep/wake doesn't seem as stable, and all the Ringtones/Notifications are missing (but if I look with Android File Manager, I can see (and play) the files).

It's very strange that results can be so different, without changing the method at all.

I'm reinstalling again now; will report any findings...

Rob.

Edited by FactionOne

I have installed b2 with the manual from this thread - I've just renamed filesystem to ext2 in beta1 and installed like before. Then 3d drivers from n0oobody and now it works perfectly. I still have an issue with wifi - maximum speed is 1mbit. Anybody knows why?

I don't wanna sell nothing for you, but I'm really happy with my results, more than 1 day installed and no freeze, no self-reboot, everything going well and fast. If somebody try give me feedback please, thanks! :P

My ultimate tuto to good performance in My storage fresh install:

Criate/format both:

*2GB FAT32 (primary)-->DISK0

*2GB ext3(logical)-->disk

3.5GB unlocated

0.5GB hide WMpartition

* This is very important and could change the results

Plug USB on windows put into DISK0: o2b2filesys.tar.gz (from o2b2filesys.zip), o2bupdate.tar.gz (with 2D/3D libs), new zimage(from o2b2filesys.zip), Haret and default.txt ( change line to"rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 init=/init") (from o2beta1024).

Unplug USB- Start ubuntu in VMwarePlayer - Plug USB - Connect to Ubuntu - Open Terminal and comands:

sudo cp /media/DISK0/o2b2filesys.tar.gz /media/disk/

cd /media/disk/

sudo tar xzvf o2b2filesys.tar.gz -C /media/disk

cd

sudo cp /media/DISK0/o2bupdate.tar.gz /media/disk/

cd /media/disk/

sudo tar xzvf o2bupdate.tar.gz -C /media/disk

Unplug USB and run Haret.

Edited by slmz

Guest harrypotter222

I'm more interested in the performance compared among different installed locations (my storage, different classes of microSD)

From my experience so far, microSD class 4 doesn't run well. It needs at least class 6.

Has anyone running this on microSD class 10, how is it compare to performance running on 'my storage'

I read this thread.

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-verizo...c/#entry1097660

But the results in general is the other way around. Ppl found that My storage is a lot slower than my storage card they tested on.

mmm....I wonder if these benchmarks done in WM is really useful for Android OS in this case.

Has anyone done any benchmarks on the My Storage memory? Is it fast enough to bother with? Is it faster than class 6 microSD? Class 10? Obviously what we need is a real ROM once this becomes stable :P

Guest voyteckst

Ok, full SD installer (1024mb partition) is online: beta2_1024.zip

Please check if it works for You and let me know.

I advise before first boot to put o2b2update.tar.gz file with 2D/3D drivers on My Storage (as always these libs are not included).

Edited by voyteckst

My Beta is working fine but can only wake up using the power button (lower right corner), the screen off/sleep button (Top right side) not able to wake the phone up, quite annoying. Is this normal ?