Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

i used 2d/3d and i have no freeze since then

me too...normally dont freeze anymore...only if i try to connect wifi, if i try it crash and stop everything....but other things works great...

Guest rfreeman
installed the 2d/3d drivers patch and update

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks ;)

Where is that patch??? thanks!

Congratulations!!!!!! for all the devs

Guest capercb

the best way i found was to use 7 zip .. open o2bupdate.tar.gz and extract folder to desktop .. With 7 zip open archive ext2.tar.gz double click on C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\system\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\system\lib\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\system\lib\egl\ now go to the folder that you expanded o2bupdate.tar.gz tunnel to folder egl Highlight the four files that are there and drag them to C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\system\lib\egl\ ...it will ask if you want to copy file ( yes) ....close out 7zip it will tell you file ext2.tar was modidied do you want to update it in archive ....(ok)...when finish your updated ext2.tar.gz will be there ... I hope this helps

Edited by capercb

Guest mihai_mihai
how do you install that patch? the 2d/3d drivers one?

insert the files from archives in ext2.tar.gz (\system\lib\egl)then reinstal android with the new one

Guest r1c4rd0
Keys!

A lot to work on, but a lot of good as well. The thing I'm concerned about is the key-mapping. To go back you have to move the entire right hand to press the camera key, and might risk dropping the phone. Seems a way better idea of having hang-up key as a back and hang-up key. Let the camera be camera instead. Seems a lot more logic and efficient. Agree/disagree anyone?

i dont know how to just click in back key... i really need it. hope some one can help me thanks.

Well done Dev. team, this has huge potential.

I formatted the SD card with Samsung settings as per earlier posts, then did the installation using the stock files with o2bupdate.tar.gz on \My Storage.

The kernel panic straight after reporting the installation was completed ok, the kernel panic message does not seem to have any ill effect on the installation, which is consistent with earlier reports.

The phone has been running for more than 1 hr and going.

I dont have wifi where I am so I cant do much test at the moment, but so far so good.

Some observations:

Touch screen is much more accurate comparing to WinMo.

I can feel the phone is as cool if not cooler comparing to WinMo, could be that I am not doing anything at the moment.

Will update if I see anything worth to mention.

Edited by kyda

Guest TIEfighter
the best way i found was to use 7 zip .. open o2bupdate.tar.gz and extract folder to desktop .. With 7 zip open archive ext2.tar.gz double click on C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\system\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\system\lib\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\system\lib\egl\ now go to the folder that you expanded o2bupdate.tar.gz tunnel to folder egl Highlight the four files that are there and drag them to C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\system\lib\egl\ ...it will ask if you want to copy file ( yes) ....close out 7zip it will tell you file ext2.tar was modidied do you want to update it in archive ....(ok)...when finish your updated ext2.tar.gz will be there ... I hope this helps

you can also just put the o2bupdate.tar.gz file into the same folder on your device as haret.exe (the one in my storage) and haret should get the files updated during boot as well ;)

Guest capercb
you can also just put the o2bupdate.tar.gz file into the same folder on your device as haret.exe (the one in my storage) and haret should get the files updated during boot as well ;)

thanks ...i already done that but was still having problems so this is the way i went and got results..

Guest TIEfighter
thanks ...i already done that but was still having problems so this is the way i went and got results..

I´ve also done it your way ;) however, for most people the *official* way is easier and will lead to less problems.

Guest FactionOne

Apologies for another long post, but I figure it might be useful because as far as I can work out, everything's running well on my i8000.

The listed/expected functionality of this beta version is all working great. I've had it running for a couple of hours connected to WiFi, no hangs/freezes, downloading and running apps from the Market with no issues to speak of.

I've not got a USB cable available atm, so I transferred all the files from my laptop using the SD card, but for those who might find it useful to follow what I did...

(Steps i, ii, iii & iv below for information only, ignore if you're using USB cable)

i) Format SD card in Windows (I'm on XP, my 4GB card formatted default allocation size and FAT32).

ii) Extract all files from beta512.zip (or beta1024.zip if you prefer) to the SD card.

iii) Copy (NOT extract) o2bupdate.tar.gz to the SD card.

iv) Insert SD card into i8000 and MOVE (CUT & paste) all files from SD card to 'My Storage' in File Manager/Explorer.

(ignore steps 1,2, & 3 below if you used SD transfer method above)

1) Extract all files from beta512.zip (or beta1024.zip if you prefer) to a folder somewhere on your PC.

2) Copy (NOT extract) o2bupdate.tar.gz to the same folder (be careful not to drop it in a sub-folder).

3) Copy all the files/folders from this folder on your PC to 'My Storage' on your device.

4) For good measure, I used the Samsung Settings tool in WinMo to format the SD card in the device.

5) Browse to (eg. using File Manager/Explorer) O2BETA FOLDER in 'My Storage' and RUN HARET.EXE (MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN O2BETA FOLDER)

6) LET IT DO ITS THING - THERE'LL BE LOTS OF COMMAND LINE STUFF GOING BY ABOUT PARTITIONS ETC. - GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT ;) - DON'T TOUCH IT UNTIL IT REBOOTS BACK TO WINDOWS MOBILE (of course if you've been waiting 20mins, you might have a problem)

7) When you're back in Windows Mobile, browse to the root of 'My Storage' and run HARET.EXE (THIS TIME MAKE SURE YOU'RE NOT IN THE O2BETA FOLDER)

8) There'll be some more command-line stuff, and eventually the GUI (the pretty stuff) should start. It may well be a bit clunky at this stage. Give it time.

9) If you get any prompts about things being unresponsive, giving you the option to close or wait, ALWAYS TAP WAIT.

(If you find yourself at the lock-screen, glance at the notification bar at the top of the screen, if it's 'Preparing SD card' or something like that, let it get through that before you unlock, it'll be happier for it)

10) At the end of the run, you'll (I did) have an question of how you'd like to proceed, there'll be an SDK something-or-other full of dots option (and it'll say Default Action underneath), or 'Setup Wizard'; go with the top one.

11) Do as much or as little of the 'out of box experience' stuff as you like, I skipped most of it (mainly so I could connect to Wi-Fi to enable it to do anything first), and just set up the time/zone/date.

12) Find the settings, enable Wi-Fi, go into Wi-Fi settings and select/configure your network.

13) I did a shutdown here for good measure. Press and hold the lock button, choose power off.

14) Power-up and wait until you're back into Windows Mobile, run haret.exe from the root of 'My Storage' (as in step 7). Android will start.

15) Re-enable Wi-Fi if required (I think mine came back up at boot), and begin using Market etc.

One last note, the phone takes a little while to initialise, I'd avoid trying to use anything to do with the phone until you see some signal on the status-bar at the top of the screen.

All the best,

Rob.

Edited by FactionOne

Guest bobhero

Is it possible to wipe the android image, and start fresh without formatting the SD card?

I'm guessing I need a linux box to view the ext3 partition and delete the file on there?

Guest hidehong

Is that any problem on android market?

I cannot download the apps from the market. It just said start download....but nothing happen.

Thanks.

(Sorry for my poor english)

I cannot download the apps from the market. It just said start download....but nothing happen.

Thanks.

Same here but I think mine is something to do with my work firewall. I can view anything I want but I know they don't allow a lot of ports to be opened.

Will try at home where I can allow ports to be opened on the firewall fingers crossed.

Thanks.

just wait

it is slow

Apologies for another long post, but I figure it might be useful because as far as I can work out, everything's running well on my i8000.

The listed/expected functionality of this beta version is all working great. I've had it running for a couple of hours connected to WiFi, no hangs/freezes, downloading and running apps from the Market with no issues to speak of.

I've not got a USB cable available atm, so I transferred all the files from my laptop using the SD card, but for those who might find it useful to follow what I did...

(Steps i, ii, iii & iv below for information only, ignore if you're using USB cable)

i) Format SD card in Windows (I'm on XP, my 4GB card formatted default allocation size and FAT32).

ii) Extract all files from beta512.zip (or beta1024.zip if you prefer) to the SD card.

iii) Copy (NOT extract) o2bupdate.tar.gz to the SD card.

iv) Insert SD card into i8000 and MOVE (CUT & paste) all files from SD card to 'My Storage' in File Manager/Explorer.

(ignore steps 1,2, & 3 below if you used SD transfer method above)

1) Extract all files from beta512.zip (or beta1024.zip if you prefer) to a folder somewhere on your PC.

2) Copy (NOT extract) o2bupdate.tar.gz to the same folder (be careful not to drop it in a sub-folder).

3) Copy all the files/folders from this folder on your PC to 'My Storage' on your device.

4) For good measure, I used the Samsung Settings tool in WinMo to format the SD card in the device.

5) Browse to (eg. using File Manager/Explorer) O2BETA FOLDER in 'My Storage' and RUN HARET.EXE (MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN O2BETA FOLDER)

6) LET IT DO ITS THING - THERE'LL BE LOTS OF COMMAND LINE STUFF GOING BY ABOUT PARTITIONS ETC. - GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT ;) - DON'T TOUCH IT UNTIL IT REBOOTS BACK TO WINDOWS MOBILE (of course if you've been waiting 20mins, you might have a problem)

7) When you're back in Windows Mobile, browse to the root of 'My Storage' and run HARET.EXE (THIS TIME MAKE SURE YOU'RE NOT IN THE O2BETA FOLDER)

8) There'll be some more command-line stuff, and eventually the GUI (the pretty stuff) should start. It may well be a bit clunky at this stage. Give it time.

9) If you get any prompts about things being unresponsive, giving you the option to close or wait, ALWAYS TAP WAIT.

(If you find yourself at the lock-screen, glance at the notification bar at the top of the screen, if it's 'Preparing SD card' or something like that, let it get through that before you unlock, it'll be happier for it)

10) At the end of the run, you'll (I did) have an question of how you'd like to proceed, there'll be an SDK something-or-other full of dots option (and it'll say Default Action underneath), or 'Setup Wizard'; go with the top one.

11) Do as much or as little of the 'out of box experience' stuff as you like, I skipped most of it (mainly so I could connect to Wi-Fi to enable it to do anything first), and just set up the time/zone/date.

12) Find the settings, enable Wi-Fi, go into Wi-Fi settings and select/configure your network.

13) I did a shutdown here for good measure. Press and hold the lock button, choose power off.

14) Power-up and wait until you're back into Windows Mobile, run haret.exe from the root of 'My Storage' (as in step 7). Android will start.

15) Re-enable Wi-Fi if required (I think mine came back up at boot), and begin using Market etc.

One last note, the phone takes a little while to initialise, I'd avoid trying to use anything to do with the phone until you see some signal on the status-bar at the top of the screen.

All the best,

Rob.

i did everything like you did...but in step 12 when i go to wifi setings after enabled wifi, phone freeze...i cant touch anythnig more and than i restart...and come back to winmo...i didn't know why this happens...maybe something related with the rom...what's your rom???

edit: and when i try to initiate android again its freeze before start, in android name boot screen...

Edited by igorbr

Guest nanshang
installed the 2d/3d drivers patch and update

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks ;)

how ???installed the 2d/3d drivers patch and update??

Play asphalt5 on my T*OMNIA2

http://serviceapi.nmv.naver.com/flash/NFPlayer.swf?vid=0683BAF9539A8C660E1626AE0E820EF3DC32&outKey=V12240ee3b9980609d8af3997667164a817472d1fb3f0d8b60fa93997667164a81747' wmode='transparent' width='500' height='408' allowScriptAccess='always' name='NFPlayer76929' id='NFPlayer76929' allowFullScreen='true' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' />

Edited by kgp700

Guest FactionOne
i did everything like you did...but in step 12 when i go to wifi setings after enabled wifi, phone freeze...i cant touch anythnig more and than i restart...and come back to winmo...i didn't know why this happens...maybe something related with the rom...what's your rom???

My WinMo ROM is a twu2 6.5.3 (as far as I can remember); but I can't see that having much effect if I'm honest. I don't mean to ask stupid questions, but how long have you waited when it freezes? Is there any response to the back button (camera button on Omnia 2) etc?

Wi-Fi doesn't give me any problem at all.

The only thing I notice from time to time is the CPU-idle issue, which occassionally causes an app to become unresponsive, but by the time the warning pops up, you can click 'Wait' and the app has recovered.

All the best,

Rob.