Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

Guest superdupersianz
Thanks for the quick response. Android actually runs alot smother on here than on my galaxy ;) I had the original galaxy that came out around the same time as the Omnia 2, and i was running a custom 2.3 rom as Samsung wouldn't support it past 1.6. Spec wise the omnia has a faster cpu and twice as much ram as my galaxy. If I can have android run smoothly and stable on the omnia i'll be quite happy.

What about using the camera? is that possible on the current build?

Yes, camera is supported in this beta.

Probably you will need to backup and reformat your SD card.

using SD Formatter, and set the settings below before Formatting it:

Format: Erase (Full),

Format Size Adjustment: ON

Guest haze028
yes, of course...it works great... i don't know why it wont work for you

Not sure if i've done something wrong... followed the guide from the first page of this topic. Whenever i load the camera app it just says 'Please insert SD card before using the camera.'

Maybe i should try the install to my storage? havn't found the guide for that yet, though i'll start looking now... not having a camera would be the only thing holding me back from loving this device.

* Just re-formatted SD card through windows with FAT fs....still same issue, phone seems to work great in android, just doesn't recognize an sd card....so no pictures or music ;)

** SD Card setting show it as unavailable, no ability to mount. Internal storage shows 653mb avalible.

Edited by haze028

Guest haze028

does anyone have a link to a guide for installing to my storage? including links to the files i would need?

I know it's probably somewhere in this topic... and trust me I've been looking... If someone has this info readily avaliable it would be much appreciated.

Guest Ngage
Not sure if i've done something wrong... followed the guide from the first page of this topic. Whenever i load the camera app it just says 'Please insert SD card before using the camera.'

Maybe i should try the install to my storage? havn't found the guide for that yet, though i'll start looking now... not having a camera would be the only thing holding me back from loving this device.

* Just re-formatted SD card through windows with FAT fs....still same issue, phone seems to work great in android, just doesn't recognize an sd card....so no pictures or music ;)

** SD Card setting show it as unavailable, no ability to mount. Internal storage shows 653mb avalible.

You must to format SD card as PRIMARY, then Froyo beta can recognize this.

Guest haze028
You must to format SD card as PRIMARY, then Froyo beta can recognize this.

I did format it as primary, i'm going to start the whole thing one more time... I tried going through the My Storage install, but can't seem to get my device detected in Ubuntu... I'm just going to wipe it all out again, Re-install the original way, through sd card, ensuring i format it to primary....

If this doesn't work i guess i'm waiting for an install that will automaticly go to internal/my storage. Which sucks since i miss android and hate Windows mobile. I'm hopeing for the day soon when i can wipe windows off this phone all together and just have android.

Thanks for your assistance, i'll let you know if this does work... I really want to see android running nicly on this phone.

Guest Ngage
I did format it as primary, i'm going to start the whole thing one more time... I tried going through the My Storage install, but can't seem to get my device detected in Ubuntu... I'm just going to wipe it all out again, Re-install the original way, through sd card, ensuring i format it to primary....

If this doesn't work i guess i'm waiting for an install that will automaticly go to internal/my storage. Which sucks since i miss android and hate Windows mobile. I'm hopeing for the day soon when i can wipe windows off this phone all together and just have android.

Thanks for your assistance, i'll let you know if this does work... I really want to see android running nicly on this phone.

Is necessary to format partition FAT32,(where is recognize in Winmo as Storage Card and in Android as SD Card) to PRIMARY, You don't Re-install Froyo.

Guest haze028

Just wanted to say thank you to all that were able to help me... I felt like an idiot when i realized what i was doing. When initially formating and setting up the sd card, i had put it as logical, then was attempting to change it to primary after the android install had taken it's partition B) So after making the initial format as a primary fat32, I had no issues... much like you guys had told me yesterday :D

Oh well working great now! Camera and all! Very glad to see that the dev's have ported this OS for this phone. Now I don't have to move away from the Android OS. Fantastic job to all those involved... look forward to seeing an internal memory installer at some point, so we may permanently say good-bye to Bill Gates and his blasted Windows.

Thanks again for the assistance, great community of people here willing to help. Nice to see! I'll try not to be so brain dead with any future questions :)

Guest haze028

While doing my install, i saw a line that said (Android AK4671): android_snd_device ADD FAIL. The install seemed to go fine, excluding that, android boots and signs into my account. I do not have ringtone sounds though... system crashes when i try to enter into that setting. Media sound works fine from within games, just no ringtone/notification sound.

Any ideas?

Guest Sinistersky
While doing my install, i saw a line that said (Android AK4671): android_snd_device ADD FAIL. The install seemed to go fine, excluding that, android boots and signs into my account. I do not have ringtone sounds though... system crashes when i try to enter into that setting. Media sound works fine from within games, just no ringtone/notification sound.

Any ideas?

yup...do a nice clean reinstall from ubuntu with froyo bundle v2...cuz sometimes, even if install goes right, everything could go wrong...this install is basicly a 90:10 chance to work...

Guest haze028
yup...do a nice clean reinstall from ubuntu with froyo bundle v2...cuz sometimes, even if install goes right, everything could go wrong...this install is basicly a 90:10 chance to work...

Couldn't seem to get the ubuntu install to work for me at all, so i just did the original installation instructions through the phone. I did another fresh install, and still got that error but when it booted android everything, including sound was working. I think it's finally at the point now where I have a working android on my O2. And i'm loving it :)

Is there a big difference between installing via ubuntu and the original sd card installation? does android run noticably different either way? As i mentioned i couldn't get the ubuntu install to work for me, but if it's more stable or quicker to a noticable degree then i'll put a little more time into working out the bugs with my install attempts.

Again, quite happy with the help provided through this forum. Knowledgeable people on here it appears.

Guest Sinistersky
Couldn't seem to get the ubuntu install to work for me at all, so i just did the original installation instructions through the phone. I did another fresh install, and still got that error but when it booted android everything, including sound was working. I think it's finally at the point now where I have a working android on my O2. And i'm loving it :)

Is there a big difference between installing via ubuntu and the original sd card installation? does android run noticably different either way? As i mentioned i couldn't get the ubuntu install to work for me, but if it's more stable or quicker to a noticable degree then i'll put a little more time into working out the bugs with my install attempts.

Again, quite happy with the help provided through this forum. Knowledgeable people on here it appears.

With ubuntu you can install to MyStorage wich is faster than SD card...

Guest haze028
With ubuntu you can install to MyStorage wich is faster than SD card...

That's what I had gathered from the posts, I tried to follow the guide i saw posted on page 100ish of this thread. I couldn't get ubuntu to pick up any of the partitions after I set the as per the guide... I'm happy with this for now... maybe on the next release I'll try to figure out what is going on with the My Storage install.

As is my Samsung Galaxy that I use to run generally had 25-28mb of free ram when it was sitting there, my O2 seems to have 50-70mb of free ram. The whole OS run a lot smother on this device than the native android device i had previously.

Does the My Storage install have any impact on the freezing of the device? Which doesn't happen that often, but at least once every two days

Guest rom_omnia2

What about Froyo ADB?

*#7284# command from Rapid tutorial doesn't work with froyo.

Another question. What should i put in <<YOUR HARDWARE IDS>>?

- Open my inf file

- Search "SAMSUNG OMNIA II"

- Add or Modify your hardware IDs

;SAMSUNG OMNIA II

%USB\VID_04E8&PID_681C.DeviceDescRelease%=androidusb.Dev, <<YOUR HARDWARE IDS>>

%USB\VID_04E8&PID_681C&MI_02.DeviceDescRelease%=androidusb.Dev, <<YOUR HARDWARE IDS>>

%USB\VID_04E8&PID_681C.DeviceDescRelease%=androidusb.Dev, <<YOUR HARDWARE IDS>>

And try again!

EDIT: Forget, working now. It's a little bit complicated find what info put and replace, if anyone need some help then PM me.

Edited by rom_omnia2

Guest haze028

Does anyone know if the front camera on the omnia 2 is something that will eventually be looked at for android on it?

Seems like a one line registry edit from WiMo to have it activated for picture taking. Not that it's a big deal at all, just curiousity i guess.... Has anyone heard of it at all?

Guest Sinistersky
Does anyone know if the front camera on the omnia 2 is something that will eventually be looked at for android on it?

Seems like a one line registry edit from WiMo to have it activated for picture taking. Not that it's a big deal at all, just curiousity i guess.... Has anyone heard of it at all?

Devs are focusing on more important things i hope...Theyre better off fixing 3g and wifi battery drain and SOD before moving on to the simple things...As for a new version release...You'll have to wait quite some time for it I suppose :)

Guest malavin
Devs are focusing on more important things i hope...Theyre better off fixing 3g and wifi battery drain and SOD before moving on to the simple things...As for a new version release...You'll have to wait quite some time for it I suppose :)

+1

In my Opinion, the most important Thing is to kill the SOD and make every boot fuctionable.

Guest haze028

Oh I'm not in any rush, and I realize the front camera is a trivial feature that is not nessesary at all, was just curious if that was a thought in the future. I agree with the items you had listed as having a lot more priority as they're needed phone functions.

Not at all trying to presure the devs for any newer release. Having followed the GAOSP port by Drakaz on my previous phone for over a year, I know updates and releases come as the come. I am very happy with all the work they've got completed already. Great job!

Is there a known fix for the time issue? Not displaying the correct time, even when entered in manually. Even when it does change with my manual entering, it doesn't keep track of it while the phone is in standby

Guest PuCiNhOOO

I know that this version is already rooted, but ...

I'm trying to use "Battery Calibration" and it sais that my phone is not rooted =/

What could I do?

Thanks

Guest Sinistersky
Oh I'm not in any rush, and I realize the front camera is a trivial feature that is not nessesary at all, was just curious if that was a thought in the future. I agree with the items you had listed as having a lot more priority as they're needed phone functions.

Not at all trying to presure the devs for any newer release. Having followed the GAOSP port by Drakaz on my previous phone for over a year, I know updates and releases come as the come. I am very happy with all the work they've got completed already. Great job!

Is there a known fix for the time issue? Not displaying the correct time, even when entered in manually. Even when it does change with my manual entering, it doesn't keep track of it while the phone is in standby

I think this RTC difference handling is the fix you've been waiting for :) I don't fully understand it though... Still, you can go in Settings-Date&Time-Use 24-hour format ... And time should sync again...

Edited by Sinistersky

Guest haze028
I think this RTC difference handling is the fix you've been waiting for B) I don't fully understand it though... Still, you can go in Settings-Date&Time-Use 24-hour format ... And time should sync again...

That's fantastic! Not only for the time fix, which was more just an anoyance, but more so that the work has continued!

I'm excited to see where the devs of this project take it. :) Great news to start off my Fathers Day!

Guest voyteckst
That's fantastic! Not only for the time fix, which was more just an anoyance, but more so that the work has continued!

I'm excited to see where the devs of this project take it. :) Great news to start off my Fathers Day!

RTC fix is for different reason and different kernel that You are using. It's for .32 kernel and it fixes i.e. problems with alarm for that kernel.

Edited by voyteckst

Guest Sinistersky
RTC fix is for different reason and different kernel that You are using. It's for .32 kernel and it fixes i.e. problems with alarm for that kernel.

tnx for explaining m8...just a question...what is so far developed in .32 kernel if you can say?

Guest haze028

Ok, as I can't seem to leave things alone, and I want to see the difference in speed between sd and my storage install, i'm following through the ubuntu guide again.

This time everything seems to be going well, recongnized the partitions, but when I do the first step of copying the ext4 file to disk_ it goes unbeilvably slow.... it's been running for 40 mins and only shows 1.2mb coppied to that partition so far!!

This does not seem normal, but as it's continuing to copy I am letting it continue. Has someone else that has installed this way let me know if it should really be taking this long!

Guest Sinistersky
Ok, as I can't seem to leave things alone, and I want to see the difference in speed between sd and my storage install, i'm following through the ubuntu guide again.

This time everything seems to be going well, recongnized the partitions, but when I do the first step of copying the ext4 file to disk_ it goes unbeilvably slow.... it's been running for 40 mins and only shows 1.2mb coppied to that partition so far!!

This does not seem normal, but as it's continuing to copy I am letting it continue. Has someone else that has installed this way let me know if it should really be taking this long!

you don't copy it by moving..you copy it with sudo commands...and it takes less than a minute...less than 30 seconds actually :)