Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

Guest cicciosprint
After last step just reboot. It works.

Thanks voyteckst! Worked like a charm.

I really hope the project will reach its goal of a full fledged Android port: I've been using it on-and off for a week and again, two things are crisp clear in my mind:

1. Windows Mobile is going to kiss my device goodbye as soon as Beta 2 is out
  2. My next device is going to be Android-powered ;)
Edited by cicciosprint

Guest nonione
i also have the 1 hour difference, it's strange however now i'm always using android, is very stable with the today update ;)

regarding poweramp, how can i scan the storage folder for add music from there? it scan only in sdcard folder

i have a 6 hour difference everytime i change to winmo to android i think its prolly because i have GMT-6 time zone but i just change it when im in android to the current time and its all good untill i change to winmo and get back to android again

Guest thew0lf

Great work for last update. A few things :

- clock issue was succesfully fixed (as well as the call drop issue (didn't have it during the few calls I did today).

- battery drain has increased. Before the update, it used to decreased by 3-5% while sleeping, now it seems to drop by about 15-20% (again, while sleeping). Does the cpu really go to sleep ? I'd say, no. That would explain a lot. Today, my phone didn't make it through the whole day (before, it did, with wifi disabled, but I could listen to some music and check a few stuff on it with decent battery drain)

This is, in my opinion, the last big issue. Past this one, the whole thing is very stable.

Guest cicciosprint

I also noticed that Android can't read the phone's MAC address for WiFi, annoying since I have a network with MAC filtering.

Also, which tweaks should I install? Performance now and then tends to be sloppy, so how can I improve the CPU and GPU responsiveness?

Guest thew0lf
I also noticed that Android can't read the phone's MAC address for WiFi, annoying since I have a network with MAC filtering.

Actually, this doesn't matter. MAC address is hardware set and (unless you have a special card) can't be changed, so wether the OS reads it or not doesn't change anything, the paquets are still signed with that address.

But, with the latest update, the proper interface was implemented, including MAC address and signal strength reading.

Guest thew0lf
Also, which tweaks should I install? Performance now and then tends to be sloppy, so how can I improve the CPU and GPU responsiveness?

I would recommend "Advanced Task Killer FREE". The widget is very useful and there is a nice autokill feature. This really frees up a lot of ram (used by some programs by default, but useless) and increases the overall responsiveness quite a lot.

Guest speedfrog

is there a way i can install android without a SD card? because i dropped the phone on the floor and the memery card slot broke, so i cant get the phone to detect the SD card...

Guest cicciosprint
I would recommend "Advanced Task Killer FREE". The widget is very useful and there is a nice autokill feature. This really frees up a lot of ram (used by some programs by default, but useless) and increases the overall responsiveness quite a lot.

Already installed, works like a charm ;) Strange though, no task manager/switcher in Android?

Also, I noticed that performance is still buggy, i.e. choppy sliding animation in menus and desktops, is that due to the GPU drivers or am I missing something here?

EDIT: yes, indeed after a reboot it detects my MAC just fine ;) One more thing, is there a way to swap Baidu with Google as the search engine?

Edited by cicciosprint

Guest TIEfighter
Already installed, works like a charm ;) Strange though, no task manager/switcher in Android?

Also, I noticed that performance is still buggy, i.e. choppy sliding animation in menus and desktops, is that due to the GPU drivers or am I missing something here?

EDIT: yes, indeed after a reboot it detects my MAC just fine ;) One more thing, is there a way to swap Baidu with Google as the search engine?

Have you installed Launcher pro? i hardly have sloppy animations with it, at least on the homescreen :D

Guest elbee72
With the new update, everything seems to be working great. Even the sleep problem during call is solved. However, the battery seems to be draining noticeably faster, even after having killed tasks with the adv. task killer.

devs are busy fixing this, or have already found the bug? latest sourcecode change

port is getting better day-by-day !! thanks devs !!

Edited by elbee72

Guest thew0lf
Post #1044 tutorial....and page 36, post 710 you got movie! ;) tell me if u suceed, because i dont have sd card yet! ;)

I did it, and it works perfectly (even better than with an sd card).

Guest thew0lf
i want to know is GPRS/DATA Connection is ready for use right now?

After i type in the APN setting and save, the phone will freeze.

Thx.

This feature is not yet supported.

Guest Groundplayer
OK,here is what I did:

1.Install VMWare Player

2.Download UBUNTU 32 bit version from here http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

3.Install Ubuntu

4.Download & install MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition

5.Take your phone ,go to Samsung Settings USB settings and set USB Connection to My Storage

6.Back up your My Storage to Storage Card (or you will loose all data there)

7.Connect the phone to the PC-> it will connect like mass storage device

8.Open MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition,select the Storage device Samsung and delete the partition->then click create and create 1020 Mb(in my case of 2 GB Internal Storage) FAT 32 partition(give it a name like disk0 without space),there will be left about 1 GB unallocated storage->select right button,click create partition format EXT2 (or EXT3) with a name like disk and select APPLY!->your My Storage will be formatted!!!you will see only 1 GB Storage device in My Computer in Windows.

(EDIT: You can format in the UBUNTU also with Disk Utility ,but first use Unmount storage.)

9.Copy the entire beta1024 folder content on the root of the storage device in Windows! ,not the folder,the content with Android files: ext2.targz default.txt zImage o2beta folder Haret.exe and o2bupdate.tar.gz

10.Disconnect phone & launch VMWare Player and run UBUNTU.

11.connect the phone, it will be recognized like android storage device.

12.In the Ubuntu go to Applications-Accessories run Terminal,--> write down this:

sudo cp /media/disk0/ext2.tar.gz /media/disk/ and wait untill finishes

after that write:

cd /media/disk/ there will be a line like : cd /media/disk$

you must write down this after this line:

sudo tar xzvf ext2.tar.gz -C /media/disk

(edit: you can also extract all you o2bupdate.tar.gz to system with above methods)

And you go,all the content of ext2.tar.gz will be extracted to disk (in this case Android partition) -> at the end of extraction unplug the phone from PC

13.Turn of the VMWare Plater & Ubuntu, plug the USB with the phone to PC again and edit the line:

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init" to this:

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 init=/init"[/b and save it (EDIT: if you get kernel panic you can try mmcblk0p6 ,or mmcblk0p2 if you have a ext3 partition)

14.Unplug phone -> and run Haret exe from the root of My Storage not from inside o2beta folder

And you are ready to test ;)

sorry I dont have time post guide with pictures because haven't much time may be someone can make it but it is already posted youtube video how is done here:

http://www.modaco.com/content-page/322429/...8000/page/700/#

Regards & thanks to the developres provided this great work to all us!

Ekremsky

i have some questions about the guide ;)

2. i can use the 64 bit version too?

3. how do i install it? the installation file is a iso file, how can i run it?

"(edit: you can also extract all you o2bupdate.tar.gz to system with above methods)" is it the terminal thing i shall do to get it?

and in which program shall i edit this "Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init"

Guest emptyara
i have some questions about the guide ;)

2. i can use the 64 bit version too?

3. how do i install it? the installation file is a iso file, how can i run it?

"(edit: you can also extract all you o2bupdate.tar.gz to system with above methods)" is it the terminal thing i shall do to get it?

and in which program shall i edit this "Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init"

am not sure regarding the 64 bit ver.

in methdod never mention that we need to compress 02bpupdate to /disk.. however i did it myself.. and everything works good.. i use this command

sudo cp /media/disk0/o2bupdate.tar.gz /media/disk/ and others..just change the destination folder to o2bupdate..

u dont need to use any software in order to change line.. Open ur beta1025/beta512, find default.txt.. open and change the last line there.. for me "Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 init=/init" works.. however, just change those line after u succeed to compress it using ubuntu.. remember, just change it before u want to run haret..

Guest dgmorland

For those of you installing task-killer applications you may find this article and similar ones interesting.

In a nutshell, the Android operating system works differently to Windows Mobile and handles low memory situations and managing the state of applications far better than Winmo does. Using a task-killer application is not necessary and may actually be counter-productive.

Guest nonione
For those of you installing task-killer applications you may find this article and similar ones interesting.

In a nutshell, the Android operating system works differently to Windows Mobile and handles low memory situations and managing the state of applications far better than Winmo does. Using a task-killer application is not necessary and may actually be counter-productive.

very interesting, i actually have the feeling that app killer makes the phone faster, but ima give it a shot not using it from now on and see what happens

one thing not mentioned tho is battery life, maybe just maybe app killers help with that

Guest nonione

4rth boot with the new update, got stuck in the android screen had to remove the battery

5th boot got dumpstate error in android screen

posterior boots get dumpstate errors too

anyone else experience this?

Guest voyteckst
i want to know is GPRS/DATA Connection is ready for use right now?

After i type in the APN setting and save, the phone will freeze.

Thx.

Why you didn't read what is workin and what not on beta site?