Battery Recalibration ProTip

Guest AndyHibberd

• 1 month later...
Guest mouseman99

I know this is an old thread but I tried this technique last night. I was losing around 12%-15% overnight.

When I went to bed last night, my battery was at 98% and when I woke this morning (around 7 hours later) it had dropped to 97%

I did of course have wi-fi etc turned off

Just bumping it for those that are having battery issues and may want to try this one out

Guest Woshmistro

My battery used to loose about 15% within an hour of removing from charge. Once I done this recalibration, it only lost 1% in 2 hours. Maybe this should be pinned for all the other people with battery problems.

Guest PeterPandroid

This SF mobile is feeling more like a beta release each day.

What's the deal on firmware automatic updates as and when ZTE address the issues? I'm guessing here that under the Android layer there's some BIOS that handles jobs like the battery charge and maintenance?

Pp

Edited by PeterPandroid

Guest gusthy
This SF mobile is feeling more like a beta release each day.

What's the deal on firmware automatic updates as and when ZTE address the issues? I'm guessing here that under the Android layer there's some BIOS that handles jobs like the battery charge and maintenance?

Pp

I can't see what is beta.

Blade is released with the stock 2.1 ROM, which is not beta, very stable Eclair implementation.

I do not think ZTE should support our (beta) Froyo ROMs.

The only beta-ish thing was the memory and blue tint story, which is fixed already.

The Blade way of handling battery is the same for all Android phones.

Edit: this recalibration thing works for iPhone too (just you cannot reset battery statistics.)

Edited by gusthy

Guest PeterPandroid
I can't see what is beta.

Blade is released with the stock 2.1 ROM, which is not beta, very stable Eclair implementation.

I'm less inclined to think the battery reporting issue is an Android issue and more that it's a bug in the Linux kernel's power management implementation, or whatever BIOS-like abstraction layer exists between the ZTE hardware and the standardised Android layer.

Edited by PeterPandroid

Guest toge64

fantastic tip, cheers :D

did anyone else get no confirmation from clockworkmod when it wipes the battery stats?

Edited by toge64

Guest PeaNut_HU

These know-how topic should be somehow compiled into a FAQ or Wiki for the blade, really useful information for every new user of the blade and/or new users with first time android experience.

Guest PeterPandroid
People know this only affects how android reports the battery level right? Li-ion batteries don't have a memory.

I'd like to believe it's just a battery reporting issue but if the Linux Kernel's power management code s buggy then how can it be assumed it's looking after the battery properly?

Pp

Guest IronDoc
I'd like to believe it's just a battery reporting issue but if the Linux Kernel's power management code s buggy then how can it be assumed it's looking after the battery properly?

Pp

Fair point, but how likely is it that resetting the battery stats would improve the power management?

Guest PeaNut_HU

This is not about the memory effect, but when the phone switches off sooner to "protect" the battery (because it assumes it is almost empty), than it really is depleted, the phone cannot be used to its fullest and is also very disturbing.

(I think most ppl who used NiCd/NiMH batteries in the old days and now use Li-Ion/Li-Po should know that the "new" types do not suffer from the memory effect)

Guest PeterPandroid
Fair point, but how likely is it that resetting the battery stats would improve the power management?

I'm an electronics engineer and coder but my knowledge of Lithium-ion cell tech is limited. Nevertheless I have read that a record of battery state is used in correct Li charging. I would suggest that the Battery level that Android reads is via a call to the Linux kernel and is indirectly accessing the core registers of the battery management code. I would be cautious of directly resetting any registers unless I KNEW they were not central to the kernel's battery management.

Edited by PeterPandroid

Guest awilson360

This is a very good find....

Previously I'd only been getting about 24 hours before my battery would ask to be charged, this was with fairly average use and a fair bit of standby.

Since following this routine my phone has last 48 hours on 1 full charge before asking to be charged, running r8 seb's de-orangeated. More or less matches my old Blackberrys battery life.

Very happy with this device now :D

Guest caballeropl

Hi!

After reading through this topic I see there's some weird stuff going on with your batteries. As a matter of fact it happens not to SF users ony but to android phones in general. The range of battery life is just beyond comparing. Some get twice as long battery usage on the same settings as others. I can't understand how can you drain yours in 24h with light usage. maybe it all depands on the ROM? I'm using Sebastain404's de-oranged and with normal use which is 2g calls, texts, some wifi, some 2g web browsing I'm still over 50% after way over 2 days.

post-808177-1294583056_thumb.png

Try using task killer and overclock for slowing down your processor when the screen is off.

Edited by caballeropl

Guest Civic EG6

When wiping the battery stat, do you scroll down to yes and click the home button? When I do this I dont get a confirmation about whether its worked or not.

Guest adamfeery

Thanks for this, moved ROM's a couple of times and after the last couldn't even get a days normal use. Much better after resetting the battery stats.

@Civic EG6 I didn't get any confirmation with clockwork either, but it does seem to have made a difference.

Guest tmanutdb

I have tested this on sebs de-softened rom and it seems to have made a noticeable difference. As previous posters have said, battery life has went from 24 to 48 hours with average use. I would recommend doing the recalibration after changing roms. Great information. Thanks!

Guest IronDoc
This is not about the memory effect, but when the phone switches off sooner to "protect" the battery (because it assumes it is almost empty), than it really is depleted, the phone cannot be used to its fullest and is also very disturbing.

Yeah I didn't think of it like that. Every time I've read it, I've read the "topping up to get the charge as high as possible" bit as the important step, when it's actually just the wipe that's important.