Can a shortcut to GPS settings be created?

Guest rbean

I use GPS on my Omnia II ocassionally. I hate the number of taps it takes to turn it on/off. Is there any way to access the GPS setting with a shortcut? Better yet, is there any way to single tap the GPS on and off?

There's no reason to turn it on and off. If it's not used for a period of time it powers itself off. And then turns itself on when a program tries to access it.

Really? Mine stays on and drains the battery and get warm unless I turn it to 911 only. Hmmm, I'll try playing with it a bit more. How do you know that it is off/on? Does the icon on the home screen change because mine always shows the two bars next to it?

Edited by rbean

Which icon on the home screen? I never see one. If I haven't used a gps program in awhile, it always takes time to find satellites again. If i open and close it within a short period of time, it already has a lock. So I guess I don't "know" that the gps receiver turns off, but that empirical evidence is enough to suggest so. Plus, I haven't heard of anyone else complaining about this.

But I believe there is a gps titanium panel floating around somewhere that has gps on/off built in.

Here you go. Let me know how this works.

Just unzip the exe, copy to phone, run, and then restart. It will place an icon on your start menu called GPSOff. Running it should turn off your gps.

Edited by Snow02

Here you go. Let me know how this works.

Just unzip the exe, copy to phone, run, and then restart. It will place an icon on your start menu called GPSOff. Running it should turn off your gps.

No icon after restart. I searched my phone and got no results for GPSOff besides the exe.

Here you go. There are three items in the zip. Copy the GPSOff folder to your \Program Files directory. Copy the GPSOff shortcut to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs. Then run the cab. Then restart.

Okay, installed. I'll try it out tomorrow and see if it saves my battery. I'll return with the results. Thanks for your help.

Okay, installed. I'll try it out tomorrow and see if it saves my battery. I'll return with the results. Thanks for your help.

You said you have a gps icon on the homescreen when gps is on. Does running that make that icon go away?

No problem.

Edited by Snow02

I've used GPS Toggle in the past. It places a GPS setting item on you Today Page.

Go to Start /Settings/Display Settings/Items on Today/BAF GPS Toggle, check it on to show on your today page. Shows on/off status and number of locks.

GPSToggle.cab

Edited by dgyahn

I've used GPS Toggle in the past. It places a GPS setting item on you Today Page.

Go to Start /Settings/Display Settings/Items on Today/BAF GPS Toggle, check it on to show on your today page.

How's that work if using titanium?

Guest xlightwaverx
It won't show if running Titanium. You could also use GPS Controller. It will add a program to your program list. You can then add it to your Titanium favorites tab.

Titanium is a series of LayerID's written in XML. In theory you should be able to do ANYTHING with CHOME.

X

You said you have a gps icon on the homescreen when gps is on. Does running that make that icon go away?

No problem.

No, it does not change the icon. I'm using WidgetPlus for my today screen, and the ROM is my own lite version. The icon I referred to was the diamond in the upper right. It shows two radio wave bars after it when GPS is set to "Location On." These bars disappear when set to "911 Only." So I guess my orginal request was geared toward being able to toggle the GPS setting in this manner.

Now, I believe I misinterpreted the purpose of this icon. I thought that when the two bars were present, the GPS radio was active; therefore, draining my battery. So I was always changing my GPS settings to "911 Only" to conserve battery, as I was experiencing considerable battery drain whenever I left it set to "Location On." This was a couple months ago, and I may have had an application that was responsible for the battery drain.

I left my phone in "Location On" mode all last night after getting a GPS fix with O2Compass. I closed O2Compass and ran the exe you sent. The icon did not change, but I did not experience battery drain during the night. At this point I don't know if it was the little app you sent or some other factor that fixed my problem. I'm going to keep experimenting and see what I find out.

No, it does not change the icon. I'm using WidgetPlus for my today screen, and the ROM is my own lite version. The icon I referred to was the diamond in the upper right. It shows two radio wave bars after it when GPS is set to "Location On." These bars disappear when set to "911 Only." So I guess my orginal request was geared toward being able to toggle the GPS setting in this manner.

Now, I believe I misinterpreted the purpose of this icon. I thought that when the two bars were present, the GPS radio was active; therefore, draining my battery. So I was always changing my GPS settings to "911 Only" to conserve battery, as I was experiencing considerable battery drain whenever I left it set to "Location On." This was a couple months ago, and I may have had an application that was responsible for the battery drain.

I left my phone in "Location On" mode all last night after getting a GPS fix with O2Compass. I closed O2Compass and ran the exe you sent. The icon did not change, but I did not experience battery drain during the night. At this point I don't know if it was the little app you sent or some other factor that fixed my problem. I'm going to keep experimenting and see what I find out.

Gotcha. Yeah. That icon doesn't mean the radio is actually on. Just that you have the location on setting chosen. But who knows, there could have been an issue preventing the radio from powering down.

Gotcha. Yeah. That icon doesn't mean the radio is actually on. Just that you have the location on setting chosen. But who knows, there could have been an issue preventing the radio from powering down.

Well, after a soft reset and using GPS, I had the same results without using the GPSoff.exe - no significant battery drain after 2 hours. So I'm starting to believe I had an app that used GPS and hung or didn't manage the radio settings properly.