Tether Safe?

Guest bobhero

I did a search and did not find any discussion on this topic.

I want to know if anyone has had experience safely tethering with Bell specifically, or any other carrier. If you have done so safely, please say what ROM you were using.

Thank you.

Guest Mach2003

I tether using USB on my home built rom from time to time On Bell. No problems, and quite fast too.

I am trying to use bluetooth to tether in my latest build, but have not got it working yet...

You need Internet Sharing in your ROM for USB tether to work.

Guest Mach2003
Thanks for the reply.

Do you know if it possible for the USB 2 PC pop up that is used on most HTC Roms to work on the O2?

it looks like this:

internet-sharing-on-htc.jpg

I've used the USB to Pc popup on my TyTn and Diamond Roms, never tried to use it on Omnia.

Guest bobhero

Just checked my unbilled usage and the MS Team ROM I was using is not tether safe. The data used when tethered showed up as chargeable data!

I think it is using the APN "inet.bell.ca" when tethered, as opposed to the standard "pda.bell.ca" APN.

I could delete the bell CSC and manually setup the APN and proxy, but then I also need to set up other annoying things like voice mail acess number and text message center, and AGPS settings...ect.

I'm going to try and build a custom Bell CSC with the darned tethering APN removed, using this application :

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...ld-application/

Edited by bobhero

I'm on Bell in Ontario.

I tried tethering using the WMWifiRouter found in the Windows Marketplace. Luckily though, windows mobile held up it's end of being utterly useless and neither I, nor the IT person at my work could get it functioning. So I was going to tell you that it's impossible, but obviously as posts above prove, it's not impossible.

But yeah I would make sure to see if it'll charge you data or not.

Guest capercb
I'm on Bell in Ontario.

I tried tethering using the WMWifiRouter found in the Windows Marketplace. Luckily though, windows mobile held up it's end of being utterly useless and neither I, nor the IT person at my work could get it functioning. So I was going to tell you that it's impossible, but obviously as posts above prove, it's not impossible.

But yeah I would make sure to see if it'll charge you data or not.

Hi I am also with Hell and had a problem with tethering , I was trying to get my ipod touch hook up with wmwifi router but was having a problem , the ipod would recognize wmwifi and wmwifi would recognize the ipod but i could not get on line , then i realize when i booted into Garmin xt i would alway see bell connecting to tether so i booted up garmin and within a secound i was surfing the net on my ipod...now if there is a better way i would like to know having 2 programs running at once kicks the crap out off the battery , and also no change or extra charge on data $50 plan ....discover all i need to do is open a brower...

Edited by capercb