Some technical questions

I've been reading and reading and furrowing my brow in a vain attempt to understand smartphone software.

I've read up on something called openGL. Which I understand is a graphics accelerator? And Samsung techs didn't include drivers for us to use the latest openGL on the i8000, except for the Cube, is that correct?

So if we install the latest openGL, will this make touchwiz work faster? Will it make the display look better?

I also read something about Turbo 3D. Will this increase performance or display?

And lastly, has anyone used the easy set s3clock? Has it made a difference?

I'm not at the level to flash a ROM, and I can't afford a new device, so I'm always on the lookout for fixes or patches. Thanks for any help.

Guest ray1234

i8000 has only included OpenGL 2.0 drivers, but a lot of apps only use OpenGL1.0, and 2.0 is not backward compatible. There is an OpenGL 1.0 driver somewhere in this forum, you can use that to run OpenGL 1.0 software.

The Turbo3D you mentioned I think is for HTC HD2, not i8000. I don't think it'll make a difference on i8000.

The S3Clock makes a difference, because it overclocks the CPU. I use it frequently to play movies and games more smoothly. Depending on your machine, S3Clock can overclock your CPU to 1Ghz from 800Mhz, mine is stable at 960Mhz - there are some side effects though - on mine, when overclocked the vibration reduces magnitude, I don't know why but once I stop the overclock the magnitude goes back to normal, that's a small price to pay for speed at 960Mhz - I can play 800x480 DIVX without frame drops and games run much smoother with both FPU and 20% increased speed.

The S3Clock makes a difference, because it overclocks the CPU. I use it frequently to play movies and games more smoothly. Depending on your machine, S3Clock can overclock your CPU to 1Ghz from 800Mhz, mine is stable at 960Mhz - there are some side effects though - on mine, when overclocked the vibration reduces magnitude, I don't know why but once I stop the overclock the magnitude goes back to normal, that's a small price to pay for speed at 960Mhz - I can play 800x480 DIVX without frame drops and games run much smoother with both FPU and 20% increased speed.

Thank you very much for the insight and answers.

Do you notice an increase in performance overall? eg I use a stock 6.5 and actually use the Touchwiz, will it improve performance at all?

I mean I'm gonna try it out, but was just wondering what your thoughts were.

Guest ray1234
Thank you very much for the insight and answers.

Do you notice an increase in performance overall? eg I use a stock 6.5 and actually use the Touchwiz, will it improve performance at all?

I mean I'm gonna try it out, but was just wondering what your thoughts were.

Yes, overall performance will be better at the expense of a bit of battery life. WM CPU are slow compared to desktop PC, so you'll feel the difference when you overclock. It's just a question of whether the added performance is good enough for you to give up battery life, for me I only overclock when needed as honestly a 0.2 sec difference in changing manual screen doesn't appeal to me, but a change from jerky video to silky smooth video playback matters to me more, so I only overclock when playing games or watching videos.

Yes, overall performance will be better at the expense of a bit of battery life. WM CPU are slow compared to desktop PC, so you'll feel the difference when you overclock. It's just a question of whether the added performance is good enough for you to give up battery life, for me I only overclock when needed as honestly a 0.2 sec difference in changing manual screen doesn't appeal to me, but a change from jerky video to silky smooth video playback matters to me more, so I only overclock when playing games or watching videos.

I tried it for a couple days. I found my phone would error beyond use at 954, but was steady at 900.

I definitely noticed the battery drain. However I noticed no improvement whatsoever with anything else. Phone performance-wise, things were exactly the same. I don't think I'll uninstall it cause it's fun to play around with, but def not a useable app for me for some reason.