Confusion on Chefs' ROM thread

Guest jkcs

Greetings! First of all, I would like to thank all Chefs in this forum for spending their time and effort cooking ROMs for us to use.. :)

But soon I begin to find myself confused over the development of chefs' work when everything is lumped up together in a single thread.

for example:

Chef A cooked a ROM(s) and posted a new thread to announce his work. people like us try out their work and give feedback/comments e.g bugs found, chef responded to feedback and all these replies will generate few (or many) pages. As time goes by, the chef made some changes to his work and edit the first page to reflect the changes. so this means the few pages or comments made in the beginning may not be valid anymore. This is the part where I am confused especially when I itchy backside wanted to try other chefs' ROM, I wouldn't know what are the latest development, what bugs are fixed or is it problem caused by users ourselves due to all in a single thread ;)

Don't misunderstood me, I am not blaming them but I wish they could post a new thread for new changes made with all feedback based on this upgrade only and nothing else. To make this forum neater, the administrator or moderator can locked the old thread. Just my humble opinion

Cheers and thank you

Guest avantgarde280
if every chef should make a new thread for just a new rom, it would have been over million threads here.

agreed!! ;)

that will make me more headache.. :)

I think it will even be more messy of them have to start a new thread for an updated rom of for a new rom that is released. You will notice that most Chefs use the same thread for their cooked roms. That way their roms are aggregated in a single thread and it is easier for members to find and download whatever roms interest them. Just search for twu2, speedfrog, gary crutcher, kydkylin, Lancez, or Ms team and you will see what I am talking. You can go as far back as the first rom cooked and uploaded by each Chef. This is just my opinion though.

hmmmm.... we are not on the same FM frequency. true if my suggestion is implemented, there are going to be lots of threads here but not to the extent of millions :)

@namar: some chef's thread has over 50 pages (or more) and it is impossible to go thru all pages and totally absorbed the whole picture after one reading. e.g. now u have been using Chef A's rom for sometime already and would like to try Chef B's rom for a change, but his thread has 70 pages, do u think u know what bugs are fixed since the initial release of his work or there aren't any bugs but problems arisen due to users' ignorance? Of cos, the most easiest way is to ask but will all your questions be answered? it depends..

dont take it to heart, the purpose of my thread is only my thinking, my wish to make things clearer.

cheers.

Personally, the only gripe I have with the forums here is that it isn't very "newbie-friendly".

I came to this site and I know there are ROMs available for download to try. But there is no mention of which CSC/Phone/Eboot part the ROM should be paired with. You can have JH1 for CSC, JE? for Phone, JI? for Eboot. There's no simple way for newbies to know which of these should be paired with the ROM... (or am I missing something here?).

And only recently did I realise that 6.5.3 CSC/Phone/Eboot is not recommended to pair up with a 6.5 ROM...

Sure, please flame me if you think I'm dumb or something, but I came to this site because I was fed up with Samsung's stock ROM. I am appreciative of all the chefs' work on cooking the ROMs, but sometimes I feel there's an "information overload" on all the information contained in the various ROMs threads.

It's not so simple to find information around here sometimes, especially when it's buried in 100+ pages of posts...

Personally, if you ask me, I would say that each of the chef deserves their own subforums. With all questions pertaining to the ROM, to be posted in that subforum under separate threads.

Edited by Comage

Guest unh1nged
Personally, the only gripe I have with the forums here is that it isn't very "newbie-friendly".

I agree, for the most part.

I have been on Modaco for about 6 months. Ever since I bought an Omnia 2 for my wife and myself. I have done tonnes of reading. I have tried tonnes of ROMs. I really appreciate the work of the Chefs immeasurably. However, I still have large gaps of knowledge, that seem like common knowledge to alot of other people. I still can't figure out how to cook a ROM. Now, I have been playing with computers for like 20 yrs. I'm 32 now. I can tear down and rebuild a computer with my eyes closed. I have my CPU overclocked, and lapped ("lapping" is when you take the CPU itself, and sand the 'heatsink side', down to the copper, then sand it to a shine so there are no grooves, so it makes complete contact with the heatsink so as to improve heat dispersion. As a result I have an Intel Q6600 processor overclocked from 2.4 to 3.0gHz with the stock heatsink and it still runs cool.) As well my new nVidia GTS450 video card overclocked. I am running Windows 7 x64 and openSuse Linux dual-booted.

Not that these are all especially great accomplishments, but it shows I have a fair bit of computer knowledge. Yet I still have a hard time understanding which core files I need for what I use, ie .net compact 3.7, openGL v1, and other various tweaks and cab files. I guess I am afraid to ask questions because it seems like it is common knowledge to others, especially chefs.

I made a ROM once using twu2s instructions, but there are certain things I didn't understand, and the ROM I created wasn't what I wanted. I still don't think I could duplicate it because I can't remember how I managed to cook it in the first place :) LOL.

And if you ask a question about something already talked about, but couldn't find, you sometimes get berated for not looking hard enough. I work a full time job, and have many responsibilities on top, so its hard to find time to research everything fully so it comes full circle, to an understanding of how everything works. But some ppl do help out, like Speedfrog, by still posting the URL to help out. I don't know how that guy keeps on top of it all, but kudos for doing so brother.

Anyways, sorry for running long here, i'm just not sure there is any perfect way to run this whole deal, because we are spread across the world, using different languages. I think everyone is doing their best, but yes I agree things could probably be done more effectively, but everyone has to buy into that too.

Big thanks to the Chefs tho, especially Speedfrog, sh.a.rk, twu2, Alex823, and MS Team.

And if you ask a question about something already talked about, but couldn't find, you sometimes get berated for not looking hard enough.

fortunately this does not happen to me but it does happened to others. I must say Mr Speedfrog is helpful especially when I asked for solution on how to disable "clock flipping" when returning to Sense (in Shadowangel's thread). he immediately upload the cab file for me. Thank you Sir :)

Guest unh1nged

Only thing I can think of to help is an additional column like "Last Action", called "Last Update".

Agreed, Speedfrog is always a great help.

Edited by unh1nged