Step by step update guide

Guest rvdgeer

Added some extra info to the OP...

Thanks for all suggestions...

If you need something added, please let me know!

Hi, very much a newbie to Android here, I have a ebay derived Vega, (xmas present) with kernel v1.03, mcr add on and performance pack 4 already installed

Still learning my way around,

Is it wise yet to upgrade to latest firmware & add the custom add ons etc...

I have had quite a few application crashes, skype hangs and wont log in, (really need to use Skype)

My PC is windows7-64 but have everything from xp to woindows 7 32 bit available if its advised to avoid 64 bit due to signed drivers etc. (although my 64bit pc is in test mode to ignore the signing requirement)

and as I said earlier, never used Android before, my phone is an iphone so am used to simplicity lol.

any help appreciated...and any area to pay attention to, regarding my setup and version.

Steve.

Hi All,

Like a number of you guys here, I got my Vega from Santa; and I'm also having trouble with the Modaco rom.

I've tried my Windows XP machine, and a Win7 laptop...no joy. :(

When I try and run install-windows.bat, nothing seems to happen. I now think I've tried updating so many drivers, booting and re-booting, I'm not sure what I'm doing and am totally confused.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Eric

Guest tech_fox
Hi, very much a newbie to Android here, I have a ebay derived Vega, (xmas present) with kernel v1.03, mcr add on and performance pack 4 already installed

Still learning my way around,

Is it wise yet to upgrade to latest firmware & add the custom add ons etc...

I have had quite a few application crashes, skype hangs and wont log in, (really need to use Skype)

My PC is windows7-64 but have everything from xp to woindows 7 32 bit available if its advised to avoid 64 bit due to signed drivers etc. (although my 64bit pc is in test mode to ignore the signing requirement)

and as I said earlier, never used Android before, my phone is an iphone so am used to simplicity lol.

any help appreciated...and any area to pay attention to, regarding my setup and version.

Steve.

I would say that in principle you would benefit from the new Advent ROM upgrade and the latest MCR.

Providing you follow the steps carefully you should have no problem. That said the biggest issue is with the USB drivers when installing Paul's MCR. Essentially there are three possibilities here, namely:-

1) You see "Nvidia Harmony" entry under "Other Devices" in Device Manager and things should go to plan.

2) You don't see "Nvidia Harmony" entry under "Other Devices" in Device Manager but you see "Android Debug Bridge Interface" entry under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" in Device Manager, in which case follow arad85 instructions linked from "Need more help with the drivers?"

in post 1 or

3) You don't see either of the above in which case follow the instructions in my post number 29 of arad85's topic. If this fails see my post number 580 on page 29 of pinned topic "29/Dec r6 - MoDaCo Custom ROM Add-On + Performance Pack for the Advent Vega (1.06.5) with Online Kitchen"

This even works with Win 7 64 bit from the feedback I have had.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by tech_fox

I would say that in principle you would benefit from the new Advent ROM upgrade and the latest MCR.

Providing you follow the steps carefully you should have no problem. That said the biggest issue is with the USB drivers when installing Paul's MCR. Essentially there are three possibilities here, namely:-

1) You see "Nvidia Harmony" entry under "Other Devices" in Device Manager and things should go to plan.

2) You don't see "Nvidia Harmony" entry under "Other Devices" in Device Manager but you see "Android Debug Bridge Interface" entry under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" in Device Manager, in which case follow arad85 instructions linked from "Need more help with the drivers?"

in post 1 or

3) You don't see either of the above in which case follow the instructions in my post number 29 of arad85's topic. If this fails see my post number 580 on page 29 of pinned topic "29/Dec r6 - MoDaCo Custom ROM Add-On + Performance Pack for the Advent Vega (1.06.5) with Online Kitchen"

This even works with Win 7 64 bit from the feedback I have had.

Let us know how you get on.

Ok will have a go today (gulp!)

In the case of upgrading the firmware to 1.06 from myadventvega.co.uk, is that straight forward, does it kill anything, apps etc (not purchased anything yet just free ones...lol)

use their instructions?

sorry for all the questions, it wont take me long to catch up, just total newbie at the moment.

excellent post and I think it should be stickied meself :(

If I were to add anything it would be these tips for win7 64 bit..

When trying to get into the flashing mode, especially if doing the reflash because of a blackscreen or not booting correctly, try taking out the sdcard. No idea if this had any effect but I was struggling and did this, and it worked. I also uninstalled all the usb drivers I could see when device was not connected, in the device manager/usb controllers section. Then I rebooted the pc. The drivers needed all reinstalled themselves, but it seemed to kickstart the install of the nvidia recovery usb driver, because when I then plugged in and went through the buttons procedure to get into flash mode, the driver immediately installed and I was finally good to go. now tbh, I have no idea if either of those things actually helped, I just know I had tried everything else on the guide, did those, and it worked. ;)

Guest tech_fox
Ok will have a go today (gulp!)

In the case of upgrading the firmware to 1.06 from myadventvega.co.uk, is that straight forward, does it kill anything, apps etc (not purchased anything yet just free ones...lol)

use their instructions?

sorry for all the questions, it wont take me long to catch up, just total newbie at the moment.

The ADVENT ROM upgrade will reset the internal fixed memory in the machine but not touch your SD card. So any apps etc that are not stored/installed on the SD card will be cleared. Essentially with the exception of the SD card you will be setting the Vega back to a "as new" factory state.

Guest tech_fox
excellent post and I think it should be stickied meself :(

If I were to add anything it would be these tips for win7 64 bit..

When trying to get into the flashing mode, especially if doing the reflash because of a blackscreen or not booting correctly, try taking out the sdcard. No idea if this had any effect but I was struggling and did this, and it worked. I also uninstalled all the usb drivers I could see when device was not connected, in the device manager/usb controllers section. Then I rebooted the pc. The drivers needed all reinstalled themselves, but it seemed to kickstart the install of the nvidia recovery usb driver, because when I then plugged in and went through the buttons procedure to get into flash mode, the driver immediately installed and I was finally good to go. now tbh, I have no idea if either of those things actually helped, I just know I had tried everything else on the guide, did those, and it worked. ;)

Good suggestion about uninstalling drivers if all else fails, however as you inferred if the device is not connected you will not see all the drivers. This is where USBDeview is useful. It can see all the drivers that are installed whether they are active or not. You could use USBDeview (run in administrator mode) to uninstall all relevant drivers although it might then be necessary to reinstall them from scratch.

Guest tech_fox
Hi All,

Like a number of you guys here, I got my Vega from Santa; and I'm also having trouble with the Modaco rom.

I've tried my Windows XP machine, and a Win7 laptop...no joy. :(

When I try and run install-windows.bat, nothing seems to happen. I now think I've tried updating so many drivers, booting and re-booting, I'm not sure what I'm doing and am totally confused.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Eric

OK. Lets check where you are.

With the Vega turned on, in USB debug mode and connected to the computer what entries associated with the Vega do you see in Device Manager?

Good suggestion about uninstalling drivers if all else fails, however as you inferred if the device is not connected you will not see all the drivers. This is where USBDeview is useful. It can see all the drivers that are installed whether they are active or not. You could use USBDeview (run in administrator mode) to uninstall all relevant drivers although it might then be necessary to reinstall them from scratch.

Yeah, like I say, I think it just kickstarted the search for USB drivers maybe. In my case, I knew I had ADB drivers all successfully installed as I'd used them several times, but the device was in Black Screen (failed boot) state so wasn't showing up anyway, and I also knew that before it crashed it wasn't in USB Debugging mode, so I was pretty sure it wouldn't be recognised unless by the nVidia Flash recovery drivers. :( Just needed a way to get these to load...

OK. Lets check where you are.

With the Vega turned on, in USB debug mode and connected to the computer what entries associated with the Vega do you see in Device Manager?

Hi tech_fox, hi all,

Good news, I got it working. Uninstalled the usb drivers, then carefully re-installed and it picked up the vega and VOILA!

One of the posts above spelt it out in simple terms, and it all pointed to a driver problem. Un-installed using USBDeview (good wee proggy btw) and the deed was done in around 5 mins.

It won't be the end of my stoopid questions I'm afraid....the learning curve starts here. :(

Many many thanks

Eric

The ADVENT ROM upgrade will reset the internal fixed memory in the machine but not touch your SD card. So any apps etc that are not stored/installed on the SD card will be cleared. Essentially with the exception of the SD card you will be setting the Vega back to a "as new" factory state.

Upgraded to 1.6.5 as per www.myadventvega.co.uk, all went very smootly and worked really well...

I used the machine a bit, wow its missing so much on the stock rom.... almost useless

Today I added the MCR r6 as per instruction in this thread... the only hiccup was locating the correct Nvidia driver to upgrade to Pauls drivers, onve I have searched through all the device managers branches and found the Nvidia Tegra USB driver, this upgraded ok, as I was using Windows 7 I made sure the command prompt was RUN AS Administrator just in case.

Did the test "adb-windows devices" and received the correct response, so ran the install program

less than a minute later after a reboot wall was back to normal with all the add-ons.

I decided to install everything again via the market so didnt use my backups, but the settings for apps installed to the SD card were retained... nice.

Brilliant, Thanks everyone, especially Paul, well worth the subscription.

Steve

• 1 month later...
Guest warriorscot

An advent amico hardware wide is very different. The pre mcr custom roms might work to a degree however I would advice adding apk files and installing the compatible components yourself as there are lots of vega specific things that could really mess with a amica. The parts on the site about windows drivers are actualy because they are necessary for adb that the rom needs but if you want to make changes to yourself amica adb would be a useful tool.

Guest Jibby777
An advent amico hardware wide is very different. The pre mcr custom roms might work to a degree however I would advice adding apk files and installing the compatible components yourself as there are lots of vega specific things that could really mess with a amica. The parts on the site about windows drivers are actualy because they are necessary for adb that the rom needs but if you want to make changes to yourself amica adb would be a useful tool.

Thanks for that :huh:

Guest G Brem

Just done with windows 7 Home 32 bit. After getting over a few niggles i.e. file names and locations i am delighted, all i can advise is make sure the file paths are exact.

Cheers, my 15 hour old vega is now how i like it !!!

Guest osmildmay

tech_fox ... post 29 that you mentioned made all the difference ... after a real struggle - works perfectly - AWESOME & thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chrismk

Hi, I'm really new to this stuff. I've followed the excellent instructions to install the MCR but was wondering about this point:

10. Run install-windows.bat and wait for it to finish

Umm.. how long does it take? I started the install-windows.bat and I got a window pop up to tell me that the 'daemon started succesfully' and then the Vega powered off. I can't tell if it's doing anything!

Guest simonta
Hi, I'm really new to this stuff. I've followed the excellent instructions to install the MCR but was wondering about this point:

10. Run install-windows.bat and wait for it to finish

Umm.. how long does it take? I started the install-windows.bat and I got a window pop up to tell me that the 'daemon started succesfully' and then the Vega powered off. I can't tell if it's doing anything!

Just power it back on!

What happens?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jevdroid

I am stuck, thus seeking some help. I bought a Point of view TEGRA Mobii yesterday, which is said to be the exact same hardware as the Advent Vega. Today, I wanted to flash the new ROMs on it, but... the bloody thing is in USB Host mode and I can't find anything to switch it into slave. My host-PC thus won't connect to it... How do I switch it from host to slave?

I've checked the settings, but oddly enough I cannot find a setting there. I tried rebooting it several times, including trying to get it into recovery mode using power & back buttons, but it simply refuses to do start recovery. I'm out of options... any help is appreciated!