01/Feb r3: USB Mode (host / slave switcher)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest carl rose
Wait, what? Fastboot? I didn't think the Vega had fastboot?

P

Hi Paul, first let me say thanks for all the hard work. It looks like it does?? This is the message I got "Starting fastboot USB download protocol" This has happened to other vega owners in the past, refering to this thread http://android.modaco.com/content-page/326...0/#entry1581331

Guest carl rose
Hmmm, I wonder how we get to it then?

P

I got to it by switching from slave to host with the new usb switch r3. After the nandroid restore I already had installed the mckr2 kernel. I then made some minor changes in the shortcuts and installed samba and the new usb switch r3. rebooted without touching it (changing to host) it restarted to a bsod. Reflash and nandroid restore again. I got time to test some more things today so if you need me to test anything just let me know.

Update: the second time around I didn't even install the usb switch r3. After the cwm restore it rebooted, it went to the desktop i just switched it off again and it starts with bsod. I think it's a bsod, it's just a black (backlighted screen)

Edited by carl rose

Guest emergant
Hmmm, I wonder how we get to it then?

P

I dont really know where fastboot resides. The bootloader or boot.img I suppose?

My educated guess would be that if either the boot or system partition gets nuked you get fastboot. I've not tested it though. I think something like this happens on ac100?

Guest emergant
I dont really know where fastboot resides. The bootloader or boot.img I suppose?

My educated guess would be that if either the boot or system partition gets nuked you get fastboot. I've not tested it though. I think something like this happens on ac100?

See:

http://tosh-ac100.wetpaint.com/page/Bootloader

So I'd guess that corruption/deletion of the boot.img causes the fastboot option? So anyone who gets this problem, could recover by using nvflash to restore the boot.img probably?

Guest carl rose
See:

http://tosh-ac100.wetpaint.com/page/Bootloader

So I'd guess that corruption/deletion of the boot.img causes the fastboot option? So anyone who gets this problem, could recover by using nvflash to restore the boot.img probably?

Yes, that looks the way to do it but I just didn't have the time to investigate more. Ok, third time install went smooth. I didn't install recovery and restored via titanium. This time I installed Paul's R6 (firmware 1.08 by the way). After restoring all my apps and changing the wpa_supplicant I installed the latest usb switch R3 and bingo. Everything is working as it should and the drive appears in ifile. This leads me to believe that the latest CWM is not compatible with the R3 or at least it causes problems. Restoring the CWM backup is a no no as it won't boot the next time you restart. At least it didn't with me.

Hope this helps some of you with problems

Guest worto03

I'm getting soooooo confused now with all the different version numbers and options out there! I did have this working before I upgraded to 1.0.8 & r6 since then it just hangs on the about to reboot please wait screen.

I'm on 1.0.8 and r6 without the pp can I just install the r3 of the usb switcher apk on top of this pretty risk free?

I'm away next week and was hoping to use the vega as a mini media center to hook up to the tv in the cottage so I can play my music & the odd kids movie - they want £50 for the week to access the entertainment system! the usb switcher means I can take the kids movies with us on a stick but I don't want to risk a BSOD this close to hols as I won't have time to fix it.

thanks for any help,

worto.

Edited by worto03

Guest tjz1100
Have you installed visionary and rooted the vega? Has it asked for superuser permissions?

Um, no. I wasn't aware you had to install visionary. what is visionary and why do I need it?

No it hasn't.

K, read some stuff.

I used z4Root to root the device and no, it still didn't ask for superuser permissions. All it did was hang at the same screen (and now with the new bits in uses the 1.06 kernel, so that shows up in the 'about' page.

I did a complete re-image this morning; took the Vega to a 1.08 image and then the r6 update. Rooted it via z4Root and ........ nothing! I'm now having fun restoring everything.

I hope honeycomb sorts some of this stuff out at a 'vendor' level, it's really quite pants not having a native USB function! anyone from Advent listening?

;)

Edited by tjz1100

Guest carl rose
Um, no. I wasn't aware you had to install visionary. what is visionary and why do I need it?

No it hasn't.

K, read some stuff.

I used z4Root to root the device and no, it still didn't ask for superuser permissions. All it did was hang at the same screen (and now with the new bits in uses the 1.06 kernel, so that shows up in the 'about' page.

I did a complete re-image this morning; took the Vega to a 1.08 image and then the r6 update. Rooted it via z4Root and ........ nothing! I'm now having fun restoring everything.

I hope honeycomb sorts some of this stuff out at a 'vendor' level, it's really quite pants not having a native USB function! anyone from Advent listening?

;)

If you don't mind spending some time flashing it again, this is what I did. I installed the 1.08 update from myadventvega, then I installed paul R6 with some bits taken off. Just go into the R6 install in files/system/app and remove both car apk's, the old usb switch apk and recovery apk. This will make it a lot lighter and it will take less space so it won't give you errors. After it reboots it will have root, at least mine did. Install root explorer and see if it will ask you for root access. Then install the usb switch mod R3 and it will work (at least mine did, in case you don't have root install visionary after testing with root explorer. Once all of this is done (reboot after installing usb host R3) launch usb switch mod and select host and it will hang for a few seconds then it will ask you root access, you say yes and it will reboot with host selected, you can see it in settings/about

Let me know if you need any more help.

Guest tjz1100
If you don't mind spending some time flashing it again, this is what I did. I installed the 1.08 update from myadventvega, then I installed paul R6 with some bits taken off. Just go into the R6 install in files/system/app and remove both car apk's, the old usb switch apk and recovery apk. This will make it a lot lighter and it will take less space so it won't give you errors. After it reboots it will have root, at least mine did. Install root explorer and see if it will ask you for root access. Then install the usb switch mod R3 and it will work (at least mine did, in case you don't have root install visionary after testing with root explorer. Once all of this is done (reboot after installing usb host R3) launch usb switch mod and select host and it will hang for a few seconds then it will ask you root access, you say yes and it will reboot with host selected, you can see it in settings/about

Let me know if you need any more help.

Well, I've re-flashed this 4 times now in an attempt to enable USB host, so you'll have to excuse my lack of enthusiasm for another 'hey, try this' method. I'm still strongly tempted to wait for a Honeycomb update and proper tablet functionality. If DSG don't do this for the Vega then I'm afraid that will be it for me with the whole shooting match and I'll probably buy a Win7 tablet. Yes, I know, Windows is yuck, but quite frankly the current environment isn't looking too friendly to me either. One really shouldn't have to work this hard for something as basic as external storage conns!!!

btw, this isn't a rant at anyone in particular, least of all those who've tried to help me.

Guest carl rose
Well, I've re-flashed this 4 times now in an attempt to enable USB host, so you'll have to excuse my lack of enthusiasm for another 'hey, try this' method. I'm still strongly tempted to wait for a Honeycomb update and proper tablet functionality. If DSG don't do this for the Vega then I'm afraid that will be it for me with the whole shooting match and I'll probably buy a Win7 tablet. Yes, I know, Windows is yuck, but quite frankly the current environment isn't looking too friendly to me either. One really shouldn't have to work this hard for something as basic as external storage conns!!!

btw, this isn't a rant at anyone in particular, least of all those who've tried to help me.

Don't know what to tell ya. It worked great for me and I am really happy with it now. When it comes to the Vega it's a bit of hit n' miss I'm afraid. Although the units are the same in many occasions what works for one does not work for another. Strange if you ask me.

Guest tjz1100
Don't know what to tell ya. It worked great for me and I am really happy with it now. When it comes to the Vega it's a bit of hit n' miss I'm afraid. Although the units are the same in many occasions what works for one does not work for another. Strange if you ask me.

Lol, yes, this seems to be the case. The wife bought one after seeing mine and it came with 1.06 but the EC version on hers is different to mine. mine is 0.0.0 and hers is 1.9.0, so there is definitely a difference somewhere.

No, I have no idea what the EC version in the 'About Device' refers to!

Guest ChazW123

I have tried unsuccessfully for 2 or 3 days now to download this and the updated kernel (r2-refresh-vega-mck.zip).

The download/load balancing servers don't like me! ;)

Have tried from home and at work too to no avail, the downloads start but randomly cancel/time out before completion. Any ideas please ?!?

UPDATE: Then all of a sudden it works ?!? as soon as the load balancing fired me over to the server pepsi they downloaded fine (it was always giving me gordon before ?). A clear of my cache, etc. must have done the trick. Now to get playing on the Vega again, whoop! ;)

Edited by Paul

Guest worto03

Well the r3 install worked 1st time for me so i now have the usb switcher working perfectly again, interestingly i now suffer from the graphics tearing and glitches that othet people have mentioned on other various threads. Just thought it was worth mentioning as I've never seen it until now and this was the last thing i installed.

Thanks for this app again anyway!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bradmax57

OMG, i mustnt have fully read the installation properly (or at all if im honest) and went ahead and installed the apk file which appeared to work fine, I selected host mode and it rebooted as Id read it would now im stuck on a black screen with starting fastbook USB download protocol

Any ideas.....

I'm guessing this will be what i need to do?

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...nload-protocol/

Edited by Bradmax57

Guest Bradmax57

Right ive finally got Pauls R8 rom installed which has this included, for some reason I was thinking id only be able to see either the usb stick or the microsd card at anyone time? But I can see both and copy between them.

Anyway is there anything I should be aware of using this, im guessing you cant install anything to the usb stick and that its just additional storage which is fine by me.