[GUIDE] Common Problems / Questions / FAQ

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest spaceguy
The FAT32 Disk MUST be before the EXT2 one - I think thats your problem.

thanks it worked but for some reason the A2SD storage partition is always empty, and when i try to move apps to sd in settings, the apps end upp somewhere else than in the A2SD partition. is there a way of telling the system to move apps to the A2SD partition when i click (move to sd)?

thanks for your help man;)

Edited by spaceguy

Guest StevenHarperUK

Updated : added

Orange SIM card will not make calls, other networks SIM cards work

The phone,
as delivered by Courier
is barred from OrangeUK's own network until "activated"

If you buy your phone from an Orange shop they are activated (unbarred from the Orange network) and handed to the purchaser.

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ims-not-working

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...san-fran/"
]
http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...im-in-san-fran/

thanks it worked but for some reason the A2SD storage partition is always empty, and when i try to move apps to sd in settings, the apps end upp somewhere else than in the A2SD partition. is there a way of telling the system to move apps to the A2SD partition when i click (move to sd)?

thanks for your help man;)

A2SD (on a compatible ROM) puts all apps onto the A2SD partition. You can't see this in the normal phone settings though ( as redirection is done at a file system level).

Moving apps to the SD is only possible using the built in Froyo/2.2 function, which moves apps to the FAT32 partition of the SD card (no need for special partition/ROM)

So if you have A2SD working, and then move some apps to SD, you are actually moving them from the A2SD partition to the FAT32 partition.

@StevenHarperUK - may be worth clarifying A2SD partition (complex) vs Move to SD (easy)?

so ext3 partition is not needed with A2SD since the apps are put on FAT32? so i can format an sd card directly to FAT32 and EXT3 is not needed?

It is needed to use A2SD, which refers to the 'unofficial' method which moves all the apps to the Ext A2SD partition.

It is not required if using the built in Froyo function to move supported apps to SD.

There are pros and cons of both methods, but unless you are running out of space on the phone, you don't actually need either.

Another option (which I used on a 2.1 ROM that didn't include A2SD) was to use Titanium Backup, to uninstall in-frequently used apps, then restore when required.

Edited by wadgel

Guest spaceguy
A2SD (on a compatible ROM) puts all apps onto the A2SD partition. You can't see this in the normal phone settings though ( as redirection is done at a file system level).

Moving apps to the SD is only possible using the built in Froyo/2.2 function, which moves apps to the FAT32 partition of the SD card (no need for special partition/ROM)

So if you have A2SD working, and then move some apps to SD, you are actually moving them from the A2SD partition to the FAT32 partition.

@StevenHarperUK - may be worth clarifying A2SD partition (complex) vs Move to SD (easy)?

thanks you so much, i was able to come to the same conclusion when i saw that the A2SD partition got bigger when i move apps to sd. so i choose to move apps to phone and the end upp in the A2SD partition.

thanks again

Guest StevenHarperUK

Added this

(Switzerland rom) I am trying to Unlock my Phone to use another SIM but I don't get the prompt

The ZTE blade cannot be unlocked with the switzerland rom.

If you insert a different sim card the unloack dialog does not appear, the device boots but no network.

You have to FLash the uk stock roms to get the device into the unlock dialog.

Then unlocking works fine.

Guest AwesomeSauce

Formatting,Cleaning or Seating card correctly in the holder doesent work. My SD-card isnt damaged because the card works perfectly fine with my comuter. Could you please help me?

Unfortunately the SF seems to be very picky about SD card choice - read the thread about 16GB card support and you will get an idea or the 'depth' of the problem.

@StevenHarperUK may be worth updating first post to clarify that SD issues aren't necessarily caused by faulty card/contacts.

It is needed to use A2SD, which refers to the 'unofficial' method which moves all the apps to the Ext A2SD partition.

It is not required if using the built in Froyo function to move supported apps to SD.

then why FLB rom (2.2 froyo - which i'm using) in the r6 release says:

- A2SD enabled. Needs an ext2/ext3 partition on the SD for use. Will automatically activate if you have one.

is it because it's a custom rom and the froyo built in fuction is buggy?

A2SD is usually used to refer only to the unofficial version (which requires a Ext partition) feature, and is only supported in custom ROMs (or rooted phones with some 'hacking').

The official Froyo method isn't buggy as such, but does different things:

Froyo move to SD (sometimes referred to as APP2SD)

Allows you to move some apps to the FAT32 partition on the SD card

Without root only apps which the developer marks as move to SD compatible can be moved

If the SDCard is mounted by USB, any apps on the SD card will stop

As above if the SD card is removed

A2SD (via custom ROM)

Moves ALL apps to a EXT SD partition

No option to choose which are moved

Increases read/write to SD card so potentially reduces card life (as all user apps are accessing SD card)

If SD card is removed then ALL user installed apps will stop, and there is a good chance that the phone will not start

However apps do run fine when SD is mounted by USB (as only FAT32 partition is mounted)

A2SD may also (depending on what is included in the ROM) also support moving other things to SD card, e.e. Davlik cache.

Update - see this page for a clearer explanation:

[GUIDE] Android Glossary - Ideal for New Users

Edited by wadgel

Guest StevenHarperUK

Added

I want to import all my contacts into Gmail - so they can sync with my phone

Google dont tell you anywhere what the Magic format is of their CSV - it took me a while to work it out.

Make a new file with a .csv extension.

Copy the first line from below, then simply add all the contacts you need into the format of the 2nd line

Most Spreadsheet programs will let you open the CSV and edit it.

Then just import the file into Google Contacts (selecting a group when you do it) - I suggest a new group.

Given Name,Family Name,Nickname,E-mail 1 - Type,E-mail 1 - Value,Phone 1 - Type,Phone 1 - Value,Phone 2 - Type,Phone 2 - Value,Phone 3 - Type,Phone 3 - Value

Steven,Harper,Steven Harper,* ,[email protected],Home,010000000,Mobile,+44799999999,Work,010000000[/code]

[/indent]

Guest gyros23
(Switzerland rom) I am trying to Unlock my Phone to use another SIM but I don't get the prompt

If you insert a different sim card the unloack dialog does not appear, the device boots but no network.

not so sure:

yesterday I bought a fresh ZTE San Francisco in Zürich. I didn't insert any SIM-Card. enterd my imei on:

http://www.nextgenserver.com/calculator/

put my sunrise simcard in and entered the recieved unlock code. voilà! Ah yes, the device itself has no orange logo on the cover. Only software branded.

I was able to: call, recieve & send sms, surf and even sync my gmail account.

I'm still searching the original rom version number (made a backup of the old, original rom). already updated to 2.2 ;)

Guest Arr Too
I'm still searching the original rom version number (made a backup of the old, original rom).

If you post a link to the original ROM then the clever people here will tell you all about it. You can upload a zip archive to somewhere like MultiUpload if you don't have your own hosting (note: you might want to first remove the cache and data/userdata images if you backed up after having entered any personal data).

Guest 321erik123

Hi,

A suggestion for a question:

Help I broke something and need to restore my phone to factory settings so my operator won't nag about voided warranty!

Not that a dirt cheap phone from china would ever break...

Thanks for a great faq

E

Edited by 321erik123

Guest DJ PIGG
Hi,

A suggestion for a question:

Help I broke something and need to restore my phone to factory settings so my operator won't nag about voided warranty!

Not that a dirt cheap phone from china would ever brake...

Thanks for a great faq

E

Agreed!

Although I've had no problems with my OSF since installing JJRLS7 last Saturday evening I'd still like to know that there's a way to restore it to the original Orange settings in case something does go wrong in the next 12 months.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Added

Bluetooth file Transfer doesn't work properly

Plain vanilla Android has seemingly limited general file transfer capabilities.

You can download market APPS that are far superior.

Bluetooth File Transfer (free)

http://www.appbrain.com/app/bluetooth-file...edieval.blueftp

Astro File Manager (free) add the Astro Bluetooth module (free).

http://www.appbrain.com/app/astro-file-man...om.metago.astro

http://www.appbrain.com/app/astro-bluetoot...twork.bluetooth

Guest gyros23
If you post a link to the original ROM then the clever people here will tell you all about it. You can upload a zip archive to somewhere like MultiUpload if you don't have your own hosting (note: you might want to first remove the cache and data/userdata images if you backed up after having entered any personal data).

i'm going to restore it to the original rom, wipe out the cache and zip it.

Guest 90180360
Added this

Where did you get that from?

100% untrue.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Where did you get that from?

100% untrue.

Somewhere in this forum - I don;t make them up honest.

Ok - thats the 2nd time someone has said its not correct - removing

Guest lazyliam

you might want to add a dialer section like the i dont like my keyboard section the attention to detail step by step guides in your post and guides are very impressive

Guest StevenHarperUK
you might want to add a dialer section like the i dont like my keyboard section the attention to detail step by step guides in your post and guides are very impressive

Swapping diallers is a little less simple.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I think a separate thread will be better - as it's different for all ROMS

Thanks though

However I have added Dialler into the Glossary