i8000 dust under screen

Like the title says I've got a bunch of dust particles that seems to have blown in from the bottom left corner of the screen. For now its not affecting function and is just cosmetic and even then only in certain conditions so I'm not sure if my warranty will cover it(Its a Bell Canada phone). Should I try to make it worse then send it in? Should I get out my mini tools and mess around and risk busting it because I don't know what I'm doing? After googling the problem I know there are a bunch of other i8000's with this exact problem so I'm just wondering if there are any success stories among you guys for dealing with this annoyance.

Guest skoda60
Like the title says I've got a bunch of dust particles that seems to have blown in from the bottom left corner of the screen. For now its not affecting function and is just cosmetic and even then only in certain conditions so I'm not sure if my warranty will cover it(Its a Bell Canada phone). Should I try to make it worse then send it in? Should I get out my mini tools and mess around and risk busting it because I don't know what I'm doing? After googling the problem I know there are a bunch of other i8000's with this exact problem so I'm just wondering if there are any success stories among you guys for dealing with this annoyance.

Send to Samsung service center for screen replacement. My friends have it twice at the service center for warranty claim while mine was more than a year without this problem.

Send to Samsung service center for screen replacement. My friends have it twice at the service center for warranty claim while mine was more than a year without this problem.

That's good to hear. Twice though? I'd like to think they would seal it up properly after cleaning/replacing the screen the first time. I guess I'll just get my Bell store to send it to Samsung then. I'm not sure why, but I'm very tempted to just fix this myself some afternoon. I did buy it just a few months ago though so I suppose I should make use of the warranty. ;)

I wouldn't send it to Bell. Furthermore, I would cancel their little $7 scam. My screen got scratched a while ago and when I called, they said that any service costs... $150 dollars. But, she said condescendingly, you don't have to pay full price for a phone, isn't it worth it? I said no, I hate this phone, cancel that ridiculous "insurance". So I'm stuck with a scratched screen. If I had $150 to "fix" my current phone, I would just buy a better device off Kijiji.

And just today I realized that I too have dust under the screen. Mostly in the middle coming from the bottom near the left.

This phone is so bad, it's honestly like a bad joke. Like Samsung is at some point gonna hold a press conference, rub the back of the necks and sheepishly say "ok guys,.. we- we were just kidding. Here's a replacement with a real OS and real screen. Sorry about that"

Guest xaznxplaya
I wouldn't send it to Bell. Furthermore, I would cancel their little $7 scam. My screen got scratched a while ago and when I called, they said that any service costs... $150 dollars. But, she said condescendingly, you don't have to pay full price for a phone, isn't it worth it? I said no, I hate this phone, cancel that ridiculous "insurance". So I'm stuck with a scratched screen. If I had $150 to "fix" my current phone, I would just buy a better device off Kijiji.

And just today I realized that I too have dust under the screen. Mostly in the middle coming from the bottom near the left.

This phone is so bad, it's honestly like a bad joke. Like Samsung is at some point gonna hold a press conference, rub the back of the necks and sheepishly say "ok guys,.. we- we were just kidding. Here's a replacement with a real OS and real screen. Sorry about that"

Been having the same issue for over a year now. Not sure which phone to get next, though

Been having the same issue for over a year now. Not sure which phone to get next, though

Geez who knows. I'd say the Galaxy S Vibrant, but it's Samsung. The omnia 2 has left a sour taste in my mouth. Then I'd suggest the LG Quantum. But A) while win7 looks amazing, winmo has left a VERY sour taste in my mouth, and B ) the hardware design looks like garbage. And I've heard there are problems with the HTC Desire Z keyboard.

Get a Nexus S and unlock it to work with Bell?

Edited by Echo30

Guest xaznxplaya
Geez who knows. I'd say the Galaxy S Vibrant, but it's Samsung. The omnia 2 has left a sour taste in my mouth. Then I'd suggest the LG Quantum. But A) while win7 looks amazing, winmo has left a VERY sour taste in my mouth, and B ) the hardware design looks like garbage. And I've heard there are problems with the HTC Desire Z keyboard.

Gonna check the review for the Nexus S, thanks for the ideas.

:)

Nexsus S is also a Samsung device (GT-i9020)

http://pocketnow.com/android/samsung-gt-i9...th-new-antennas

:lol:

um...got any information to add about the dust problem?

My Bell store said they'd send it off and give me a loaner while its out. The fact that I'm NOT paying the $7 month insurance just means I need to leave a sizable deposit for the loaner. I'm still waiting for it to get a bit worse though

:)

Nexsus S is also a Samsung device (GT-i9020)

http://pocketnow.com/android/samsung-gt-i9...th-new-antennas

:lol:

*sigh* yes but it's a "google" phone, not a "samsung" phone. Meaning Google's supporting it. I read that they will support and update all Nexus phones until the harwdare can no longer support it. Maybe I should've specified, SAMSUNG-SUPPORTED phones have left a sour taste in my mouth. I have no problem with the hardware on its own.

Edited by Echo30

Guest xaznxplaya
*sigh* yes but it's a "google" phone, not a "samsung" phone. Meaning Google's supporting it. I read that they will support and update all Nexus phones until the harwdare can no longer support it. Maybe I should've specified, SAMSUNG-SUPPORTED phones have left a sour taste in my mouth. I have no problem with the hardware on its own.

Did u try the Nexus S?

Guest thebass

just send it in. i read somewhere that someone had to send it in twice. hopefully the first time will fix it. you can use this as a bargaining tool when negotiating your plan. i let mine slide 15 days over warranty, now i'm stuck with dust lol. i'm going to find a high power vacuum and see what i can do

Guest metalmanicman

My condolences... I'd had my O2 approximately 5-6mths when I had an issue with the speaker I sent the fone in for repair and commissioned the screen cleaned at the same time. The fone came back good as new with a new outer touch panel as well. :)

Within the month, the screen was again showing signs of the familiar dust pattern, (bursting in from the bottom left corner spreading out to sit chiefly in the centre).

Soon after the speaker was again distorting unacceptably, (also the camera was creating a small ring of dead pixels in the centre of every photo ?!?!). So I sent it back.

my repairer said that no alternative sealing method was approved or offered. (speaker & camera replaced without comment) They did disassemble and clean out the dust again and stated it was a goodwill gesture and that it would not be free in the future... Hmmph... I've had the fone for less than a year and still got at least 12 months or so to go on the contract. :lol:

Having and PAYING for the extended warranty and premium insurance options seems rather irrelevant to them for this issue.

On a side note, they FLATLY REFUSED to NOT re-flash the fone with the latest ... "Stuff" (despite my specific request) and now I have much less battery life... 18-20 Hrs max. (same for each of the three batteries I have and use)

I'm actually starting to feel rather disappointed with this fone. Crappy hardware I reckon. Probably sell it and go back to my original Omnia (Again!).

Good luck to anyone else suffering this issue, I don't believe Samsung cares at all....

Edited by metalmanicman

My condolences... I'd had my O2 approximately 5-6mths when I had an issue with the speaker I sent the fone in for repair and commissioned the screen cleaned at the same time. The fone came back good as new with a new outer touch panel as well. :)

Within the month, the screen was again showing signs of the familiar dust pattern, (bursting in from the bottom left corner spreading out to sit chiefly in the centre).

Soon after the speaker was again distorting unacceptably, (also the camera was creating a small ring of dead pixels in the centre of every photo ?!?!). So I sent it back.

my repairer said that no alternative sealing method was approved or offered. (speaker & camera replaced without comment) They did disassemble and clean out the dust again and stated it was a goodwill gesture and that it would not be free in the future... Hmmph... I've had the fone for less than a year and still got at least 12 months or so to go on the contract. :lol:

Having and PAYING for the extended warranty and premium insurance options seems rather irrelevant to them for this issue.

Interesting, thanks for sharing your experiences. How long has it been since you sent it in? If they are only cleaning and not able to seal up the leak then whats the point? I'm also now wondering about my speaker too. Considering the price of this phone the speaker sounds no different from dollar store china electronics. I don't think I have any distortion, but it just sounds cheap and tinny. I assumed they all sounded like this, but maybe my speaker needs to be replaced.

Guest metalmanicman
Interesting, thanks for sharing your experiences. How long has it been since you sent it in? If they are only cleaning and not able to seal up the leak then whats the point? I'm also now wondering about my speaker too. Considering the price of this phone the speaker sounds no different from dollar store china electronics. I don't think I have any distortion, but it just sounds cheap and tinny. I assumed they all sounded like this, but maybe my speaker needs to be replaced.

Hmmm. Had it back about 2 weeks now... I got it back initially just before xmas. They'd replaced camera and speaker but, LEFT THE DUST IN THERE...

That's why I sent it back immediately. (I'd refused to take it... ) and they told me "NO FREE NO MORE.. Already I can see the dust beginning in the corner again, slightly.

I would disassemble and clean myself but also would void warranty for the rest of the device... :):lol:

The speaker is a little tinny yes, I thought it may have been my fault, blowing it up with SRS WOW. But, that was not the case the second time...

It just changed from one day to the next... and was REALLY BAD... very obvious something was not right. If you're unsure, it's probably ok.

Well... As ok as normal is, given the low quality of the speaker to begin with.

Pity the O2 seems such a cheaply slapped together fone. I expected better after the original Omnia..

• 2 weeks later...