My i920 after four months

Guest ultralight23

Guest ultralight23

Don’t know if you guys care but usually after I obsess over something for a few months I sometimes feel I need some sort of gratification. But before I get into it; Moderators, if I show or write anything against the terms and agreements, I apologize (I’m still reading it!). You can delete them or let me know and I will remove them. Sorry for any inconvenience in advance. I’m not in any affiliation with any that I mention below just giving props.

I’m not one to pay too much for a phone and I was able to get this for “free” with ne2 four months ago. Almost got the Palm Plus but the rep highly suggested the i920 for the obvious reasons. Even though I’m not a power user I survive my day with emails, contacts, calendar, weather and navigation. I thought about this big long biography of how I came to what my phone consists of now, well, I’ll just let my phone speak for itself. Let’s just say I’ve tried a lot of ROMs, UIs, launchers, plugins (probably a good 4-6 hours a day...yes it became an obsession) but most of all did a lot of soft-resets. My wife asked me what I was doing spending so much time on my phone and I replied…..”tricking it out”. Four months later I can finally say, ”Humph, I really like this phone”.

I’ve tried all of ninja4hire’s and amdZero’s ROMS and one of steelreign’s and yardi’s ROMs but amdZero’s lite rom is what I went with (almost went with OP7 just for its phone dialer, NICE). Had it stacked with my cabs then he comes out with ultralite and I’m hooked. Btw, I’ve had the username “ultralight23” for a while now and the similarities are only coincidence. But amdZero’s ultralite is a stripped down, Ally McBeal in a Mississippi deluge, ultra-light rom that was able to let me build my phone up the way I like it and still have plenty of storage and speed. His preparation for an improved, well maybe I should say efficient, Sence ROM opened up a huge window of possibilities (and even after he went to android land).

Do you wanna see some pics?

I’m using Point UI’s interface…. “whew” is all I can say. That place has been dormant of more than a year and took me awhile to dig through their applets and themes to find what I liked and needed and would work seamlessly with my O2 but perserverance paid off. I do have the Pro version which gives you a few more button options. My theme is Oranganodized (dickenz), and the applets are Uberview by holg, MapUI by jo_keks, Calendar2 by zenkinz, Device Manager by capt_harlock77, Weather Imale by imale and myPhone by alf (this is my main page).

capturejd.jpgcapture008l.jpgcapture004c.jpgcapture018k.jpg

This is the main page. The phone and music volumes are pressable for different levels and also hold for vibrate, as well as the lock button; press and hold for lock screen and single press takes me to a drop down menu with (F1 buttons) alarms, calculator, O2Flash (Rapid81) MMAppLauncher (Maximus.Mobile). I like MMAppLauncher because it has Today icon in settings unlike other start menu replacements. It was a bit laggy and sticky (?) on some roms but none with ultralite. The four icons are; missed calls, programs, contacts and messages. And like I said above the icons have long press applications as well. The settings button goes to system setting folders like in wm but in Point Ui’s theme.

capture003o.jpgcapture002z.jpgcapture001sq.jpg

Was able to customize the screen with Custom CS Generator by ABCDEFGabcdefg for functionality; the time and date at the top does short press for running programs (a task manager) and long press for Point Ui’s customization menu. In the bottom right the settings button used to be contacts but that seemed redundant so i coustomized it for a settings shortcut instead. Does landscape and slides to each applet (somewhat demonstrated in the pics). Map UI is a GPS mapping and searching applet. Lancez’s Google server GPS tweak makes locking almost instant. I even have AEB Software’s Button Plus so I can do soft-resets and not have other soft-reset programs which creates a little more wait time. No orientation detection, i use the reg tweak for screen rotation and have it set to a hardware button.

A couple more pics of different applets and menus….

capture007w.jpgcapture019.jpgcapture016p.jpgcapture015v.jpgcapture010.jpg

My WM Dialer Black Skin by Noonski

capture005.jpgcapture006y.jpg

and lock screen with SmartLock (biosxjj).

This is not wm's pin lock, i found a lock.exe file that leads straight to the lock screen plus another fix for backlite on lock screen.

capture009.jpgcapture014.jpg

But best of all, this is what it all comes down too after an average work day with plenty of usage…

I have exactly 60 programs installed and window stock programs makes up 10 of them maybe 15mb. My initial boot is 94mb of RAM and absolutely no lag time when jumping to different programs.

capture017.jpg

Keyboard is FingerTouch by Teksoft. Plenty of options and single tap symbols…nice.

Anyways, sorry for being long-winded but just wanted to show off my Omnia II. This is a great phone made even greater by some great chefs. (que Slash solo). These guys put a lot of work into these and I’ve tried my best to contribute when I could for their skills and perseverance, we need to thank them when we can. As I said above I’m not promoting or working for any mentioned above just wanted to say thanks your hard work and I love my phone. Almost glad I still have a year and a half.

Sorry if i forgot to mention any names, i've been searching for four months and can't remember them all. If anyone has any questions let me know and i'll try yo answer them.

Thanks again guys!

Edited by ultralight23

Guest amdzero

I will admit I didn't read all of the post. Its a good start for anyone who is looking in a cheap phone that is a hidden power house. I'd like you to upload some better pictures tho, as these suck. Not to degrade your post, but the text is awful and you need full screenshots to get the true sense to what you are relaying.

Do you have a screen capture program? If not pm me and I can "hook" you up.

Guest amdzero
Haha, nice one amd. I'm using vsnap for screen captures though.

I meant the text in the screenshots, not that your post was awful.

<<Open mouth, remove foot>>

Guest ultralight23
I meant the text in the screenshots, not that your post was awful.

<<Open mouth, remove foot>>

really? i checked on my two laptops and even the small text was somewhat readable. what screen capture are you using? Are you getting a full screen shot?

Guest xlightwaverx
Is anybody else having problems seeing the pics?

I actually did READ your whole post over my cell phone since I am subscribed to this. By the time it took you to write it, I am surprised your wife hasn't left you for the time it took, for mine yelled at me for being buried in the phone so long to read it. ;)

And yes, those screen shots are horrible. When reading it over my phone it sounded like you might have had an awesome phone mod setup to add to a basic stock, but those look cartoony. Here I am trying to make 128x128 icons to make things pixel perfect, and you are having a blast with vga graphics :)

I am glad you like your phone. Search for My Mobiler. You can run your phone via your computer mouse and take nice screen captures. Text messaging your friends by a real computer keyboard is nice, and very baffling to them :D

X

Guest ultralight23

Wow, i see what you guys mean. I guess that was the sacrifice for speed with this hardware/software. It all boils down to the same old argument with the i920 and its lack of ram. I felt i was always concerned with my memory running Sense and the like. I know i'm a year late using this phone, and coming from Blackberry, even the vga graphics i'm running is light years ahead of 9330. Maybe by this summer i can get one of the juggernauts but like i said in another post, "i'm not one to pay for a phone", at least for the moment. Maybe if amd can succeed with the ultralight rom I'll give sense another try. But till then i really like what i've gotten my phone to do especially compared to its stock version.

Guest xlightwaverx
Wow, i see what you guys mean. I guess that was the sacrifice for speed with this hardware/software. It all boils down to the same old argument with the i920 and its lack of ram. I felt i was always concerned with my memory running Sense and the like. I know i'm a year late using this phone, and coming from Blackberry, even the vga graphics i'm running is light years ahead of 9330. Maybe by this summer i can get one of the juggernauts but like i said in another post, "i'm not one to pay for a phone", at least for the moment. Maybe if amd can succeed with the ultralight rom I'll give sense another try. But till then i really like what i've gotten my phone to do especially compared to its stock version.

Were you talking about this stuff ---> These are better graphics...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...5548&page=2

X

Guest ultralight23

I guess by functionality i mean i can get to everything i need to with a single or long press from my main page and a swipe to see my calendar or weather. I noticed in other ui's it's almost a puzzle to get to certain areas in your mobile.

For instance, just on my main page i can get to:

Single press - running programs, missed calls, phone/music volume controls, 12 quick launch programs, 12 programs or subfolders, favorite contacts, all unread messages, programs folder (w/ subfolders) and system settings.

Long press - wm file explorer, wm messaging, wm contacts, wm setting or lock screen

Drop down menu (single press) - BT toggle, wifi toggle, O2flash, calculator, clock and alarms, MMAppLauncher and ui settings

Swiping will get me to other applets; calendar, weather, device manager/control panel, appts/tasks or GPS mapping.

I couldn't find any other ui with this ease of use or that didn't clutter up my today screen (this was high on my list).

capturepf.pngcapture002.png

capture004k.pngcapture018.png

Guest the sandman
Is this mo betta?

I can see what you mean by awful screen shots, vsanp doesn't capture the crispness of the screen.

capture021.png

which pointui theme is this?

Guest ultralight23

Been messing with the .jif images. The icon bar images need to be touched up a bit but overall looks a hellava lot better.

Some before and after....

Oh, and look at my memory, that's at the end of Saturday. That title bar cycles through date, battery usage and operator (can also tap to cycle).

capturepf.pngcapture029.png

capture008l.jpgcapture030.png

Now that i have this backed up, i'll have to check out amd's revamped sense ROM.

Edited by ultralight23

Guest amdzero
So i posted a video of my i920 on youtube. May not be for everybody but i'm more than happy with it.

Check it out.

Nice work on the vid. The Point Ui is a bit too jumpy for me, and doesn't have the cohesiveness like Sense, but MAN sure is FAST!

btw, if you want to install some boot animations/load screen instead of VZW/Windows (orange) let me know.

Guest ultralight23
Incredible ROM. I need it! I have grown very tired of SPB Mobile Shell 3.3x. I love the one-click to everything. Upload coming :-) ???

The one click capability is what i like for convenience most. But please be aware that the Ultralite Test 1 ROM is a stripped down two legged dog with a lot of stuff missing without samsung settings. There are however workarounds with reg tweaks and other various downloads to make it work for ME and maybe not others. Also, with Point UI, i used their Custom CS Generator for lots of the one click capability and also altered most of the .jif images as well as applets adjustments. Let me just tell you, a few weeks of "trial and error" got Point UI and Ultralite to work the way i need it.

All this said, let me know and i'll try to help you with anything that is if i can remember it all.

amdZero, thanks for the reminder for the startup images and installed Ninja4Hire's OP7 startup cab. Always liked the looks of that and also his sec dialer but without samsung settings can't get the contacts icon to direct to anything. Unless anyone knows a way for it to pull up wm contacts.

Guest amdzero
The one click capability is what i like for convenience most. But please be aware that the Ultralite Test 1 ROM is a stripped down two legged dog with a lot of stuff missing without samsung settings. There are however workarounds with reg tweaks and other various downloads to make it work for ME and maybe not others. Also, with Point UI, i used their Custom CS Generator for lots of the one click capability and also altered most of the .jif images as well as applets adjustments. Let me just tell you, a few weeks of "trial and error" got Point UI and Ultralite to work the way i need it.

All this said, let me know and i'll try to help you with anything that is if i can remember it all.

amdZero, thanks for the reminder for the startup images and installed Ninja4Hire's OP7 startup cab. Always liked the looks of that and also his sec dialer but without samsung settings can't get the contacts icon to direct to anything. Unless anyone knows a way for it to pull up wm contacts.

I can cab up anything you like, somethings just take a bit of work. So are you looking for seccontact.exe (samsung contacts) cab? Do you use the sec dialer and want it to link to samsung or winmo contacts? I'm not sure sec dialer can map to winmo contacts.

Guest ultralight23

don't sweat it amd. i'm using DG's tre black winmo skin which looks great to me. i did have sec dialer installed so i could use OP7 dialer but then to also have samsung contacts installed is just wasted space for looks. thanks though.

Guest Captain Clam

Unfortunately, when I do have time, I am trying to cook my own ROM. I just don't think I could pull off with my job and kids. I just don't think I could ever get there because I bet you have to be able to stay pretty focused on it.

I did have a HUGE step forward today when I figured out how to pull all my email settings from all my mailboxes so I could easily import them back after I test or am testing a ROM. I posted a topic on it, but you guys probably already new how to do it. I know AMDZero did... I got the .xml idea from him and then found the Rapiconfig tool.

Loving your work... burning back to AMDZero's base lite as we speak!