CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest Grishula

Video playback is very bed in CM7 i getting in RockPlayer 8-15 fps on JJ8 i was getting 20-24 fps all are the same avi files :huh:

Anyone getting better results?

Was the the version of nightly 4 upgraded to have the kernel it was so supposed to come with in? If so, cool cool cool. And yes, apps on SD is a big issue, I'll put it up there.

I think this update is more like a buildbot bug. Not only the kernel different, a lot of other things as well. From the date on the mirror page it appears that package was created on the 23rd, it should have been numbered as 5.

Guest targetbsp
With regards to the battery, I thought I'd try the battery calibration. I shall report back if it actually makes a difference.

It didn't! Battery down 7% in 5 and a half hours of airplane mode.

Guest chall32

One thing I have noticed about the post call blank screen issue..... Whilst in an after call blank screen episode, if you plug the phone into a USB port (not sure if charger has same effect), the screen returns almost immediately.

Which to mind ties in with what TomG was saying (cant remember where now) that it's to do with wake levels. The USB wakes the phone during a blank screen event.

Not tested this with Nightly 4 + Updated kernel (not had any calls to day - all together...... ahhhhhhhhhhh!) :huh:

Its kernEl not kernAl. grr.

Why, Sorry Frankish :huh:

No, I know it's wrong, it's just how my sloppy fingers fall on the keyboard. I'll change it soon enough

Edited by Victor von Zeppelin

Guest Ralph Martin
Of which 9 have already been fixed, and 2 are enhancements. And most of the remaining 16 are pretty trivial...

One "enhancement" is actually to fix the FM radio. The devs ripped out the support for it, and so it is no longer a "defect" that it does not work, it is a request for "enhancement" to put it back and have it working. Not exactly normal development terminology...

Guest feckineejit
Its kernEl not kernAl. grr.

i know i'm just as bad here adding a reply and making it longer for people to shift throught pages with some stupid comment instead of constructive info, but for something trival as the way a word is spelt is a waste of a post. Hate me or moan at me if you want, just my opinion, i read every post and get fed up refreshing my page waiting to see something useful only to find a wasteful post.

EDIT: Thanks skymera, corrected now :huh:

Edited by feckineejit

Guest skymera
i know i'm just as bad here adding a reply and making it longer for people to shift throught pages with some stupid comment instead of constructive info, but for something trival as the way a word is spelt is a waste of a post. Hate me or moan at me if you want, just my opion, i read every post and get fed up refreshing my page and get fed up waiting to see something useful only to find a wasteful post.

*opinion

Anyone else finding the proximity sensor slow?

Edited by skymera

Guest Frankish

I've decided to go back to FLB rom for a few days. Today i have changed nothing and am experiencing some apps force closing, market playing up. Browser really slow on every page i try. I can't play Pro Evo!!! ADW EX has freezes when installed to system but Launcher Pro runs fine.

On the plus side Fruit Ninja ran great on CM7, i'm sure i'll be back but you got to ask yourself...what are you REALLY gaining by using this rom? I tried to answer that myself today, all i came up with was latest version of Android and notification power widget...i feel i lost more than i gained.

One "enhancement" is actually to fix the FM radio. The devs ripped out the support for it, and so it is no longer a "defect" that it does not work, it is a request for "enhancement" to put it back and have it working. Not exactly normal development terminology...

As far as I know the devs are volunteers & it's an open source project. So if you don't like it, submit a patch.

Guest skymera
I've decided to go back to FLB rom for a few days. Today i have changed nothing and am experiencing some apps force closing, market playing up. Browser really slow on every page i try. I can't play Pro Evo!!! ADW EX has freezes when installed to system but Launcher Pro runs fine.

On the plus side Fruit Ninja ran great on CM7, i'm sure i'll be back but you got to ask yourself...what are you REALLY gaining by using this rom? I tried to answer that myself today, all i came up with was latest version of Android and notification power widget...i feel i lost more than i gained.

Shame about that experience.

I've yet to have a single force close *touch wood*. Launcher Pro runs fine but not as smooth as the stock Gingerbread launcher.

All my games / emulators have run fine too. Even PSX emulator is playable in some games.

Guest Totyasrác
One thing I have noticed about the post call blank screen issue..... Whilst in an after call blank screen episode, if you plug the phone into a USB port (not sure if charger has same effect), the screen returns almost immediately.

Now that's always been like that from the very first version of CM@Blade... But you can't really have a PC with you all the time, right? :huh:

Kernel vs kernal - I've seen it many times written incorrectly so it was high time to make people realize how to spell it :)

I was thinking of following your lead. As much as I like this ROM, and it's potential, just niggles that need fixing are in the way. However, as it's a holiday, and i'm ill, my phone isn't going anywhere, and I don't need stability really. I shall keep it on, just as a service to this topic, really.

Given time, It will be the best ROM on the device. It's just a way off.

Guest Blues003

That did not happen to me, but the touchscreen freeze bug, the random reboot bug, and the proximity sensor bug really bothered me. While the latter has been solved, the same cannot be said about the first two. I went back to FLB as well, since right now it provides me with stability (even though I had been a long-term JJ user and supporter). I sometimes reflash it just to try and get some logcats for issues reported, but always come back to the FLB.

I want a stable CM7. It makes gaming FAR more enjoyable than in 2.2, in particular Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja. However, until those other bugs are fixed, I can't really say I'm better with it than with the FLB ROM.

Also, I hate how the notification bar can only be pulled up or down from its very center, and how you need to pull it manually all the way up/down. I wish it'd be like the FLB ROM, where you can grab the notification bar from any point in its length, and a gentle swipe will make it travel all the remaining screen.

Edited by Blues003

Guest Chris_M

As a software engineer, I can tell you that it's perfectly normal development terminology.

You have to remember that the CM code isn't specific to the Blade - it's common across multiple devices. Unfortunately, the CM code doesn't yet support the Blade's FM radio chip - it was originally designed for HTC combined Bluetooth/FM chips. The devs didn't "rip out the support" - it was never supported in the first place!

Because CM7.0 (the initial Gingerbread release) will be released very soon, all builds since 16th Feb have been release candidates. This means that no new functionality is allowed, and they're focussing on fixing the most important bugs.

Supporting the Blade's FM radio is classed as new functionality, so they're not allowing it for the 7.0 release. This is an entirely sensible decision, since fiddling with the code so close to a major release would risk breaking it for other devices. Once 7.0 has been officially released, they can add support for the Blade's FM chip as part of the 7.1 development work.

Guest Nudnik_de

Tried CM7 the last couple of days several times, allways switched back to JJ9 immediately because it wasn't evolved enough to be used as a daily driver. Mainlyly due to proximity issue...

Today was the first day I was running it for 24 hrs (NIghtly 4 with kernel patch) and I thought this could be it. Unfortunately I encountered several showstoppers:

- WIFI disconecting but not switching off with screen off

- no WIFI reconnect after wakeup, allways needs manual on/off at energy widget

- birthdays in calendar (synced with exchange) are shown 23 hrs late (from 23:00 Birthday to 23:00 neext day)

- allday events are suddenly shown as busy in calendar

Anyone else encountering these?

Went back again to JJ9. Will continue testing on a regular basis. but except some nice graffical effects and a higher quadrant score I haven't seen any benefits on using CM7.

P.S. This is not about english lessons, but we should all try to write as good as possible, otherwise key word search will deliver incomplete results...

P.S. This is not about english lessons, but we should all try to write as good as possible, otherwise key word search will deliver incomplete results...

Hey, I'm sorry guys, it was one misspelled Kernel. It's cleared up now, it's gone. Kaput.

Guest Rotmann
On/Off animation is a problem for one person it seems...and I haven't been following. Was the the version of nightly 4 upgraded to have the kernel it was so supposed to come with in? If so, cool cool cool. And yes, apps on SD is a big issue, I'll put it up there.

No, it's a general problem. If you set in spare parts windows animations to "fast", the power off on animation does not work anymore. Yes, the actual nightly 4 version should have been nightly 5, the bot went drinking last night and messed up. Kernel and a few things are updated, people have already compared the old vs. new nightly 4 versions a few pages back, it's definitely updated.

I think something went wrong when fiddling with the separated kernel or what you instaled. You should wipe and format system and install the latest nightly again. No force closing here, no market problems, the browser is blazing fast, PES 2011 works perfect here moved to the phone. no ADW EX freezes either. If I would not have the battery drain issue (as you said you didn't), this would be the perfect ROM for me.

Edited by Rotmann

In contacts phone number is shown as:

004-737-8992671

I would like to see it as 0047378992671, in other Roms it is that.

How to change this?

I think you'll have to change them manually. They still work, though, so it's no worry.

No, it's a general problem. If you set in spare parts windows animations to "fast", the power off on animation does not work anymore. Yes, the actual nightly 4 version should have been nightly 5, the bot went drinking last night and messed up. Kernel and a few things are updated, people have already compared the old vs. new nightly 4 versions a few pages back, it's definitely updated.

Oh yea, I know that, but it's not such a huge show stopper. And anyway, it's only the window one, am I right, so it's basically dialogue boxes that have to be at normal, which really isn't the end of the world. But yes about the Nightly 4/5 thing. I think i've got it down. Should only be for one night, ant then we can just say..."upgrade to Nightly 6, yo'"