CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest bugeyes
Downloading build 8 now. I'm really pleased with all of the progress made. I never did think the low end Blade was going to be embraced by the Dev community the way it has and the fact we have a usable build of Gingerbread with all the CM improvements has blown me away.

Progress seems to be made every release and I've enjoyed testing each build.

Well said!

Guest Scoopading
I also noticed in Nightly 6 seemingly occasional dead spot in the bottom centre of the screen, when I was trying to close the notifications window

This seems to be fixed in N8.

I've just tested nightly 8 and the bug is definitely still in there. Btw if you've got 180 degree rotation enabled you can turn the phone upside down and it'll do the exact same thing on the opposite side when you try to drag the notification screen back up to the Status bar. I suspect, since some people are noticing problems with the space bar too, it might be related to how it's currently handling touch detection at the top and bottom edges of the screen.

If you turn the phone onto its side (landscape mode) it appears to be free of the issue. Right now I just dismiss the Notification drop down menu screen using the back button instead.

Quick edit to say this appears to be a different issue from the one where the touchscreen sometimes stops responding. If you find it stops responding quickly toggling the power button, to switch the screen off and then back on again, seems to be enough to reset it and allow the touch screen to work again.

Edited by Scoopading

Guest ZakMcRofl

Also do not forget that the RC label is for CyanogenMod 7 itself, not blade specific.

We can be very happy that they included the blade build so close to the RC. Do not make them regret that decision by whining about bugs. Report them and hope someone takes the time to research/code a solution but do not forget that CM on Blade is alpha at best (<1 month development).

I can't wait to try this ROM when I come home. Thanks to everyone involved in the port.

Guest targetbsp
I don't get that - nothing has changed on it since I first looked at it days ago and now we are on nightly 8

I assume, it includes all the general CM fixes that aren't specific to us (or other devices): http://r.cyanogenmod.com/#q,status:merged,n,z For instance they added battery percentage as an option recently but it's not listed as a blade fix even though we have it.

I assume there's kind of a generic CM that they add the device specific parts to as it's built?

Edited by targetbsp

is it just me, or is CM turning out to be a major disappointment on the Blade?

no disrespect intended, and i haven't even tried it yet. but with bugs like "screen randomly freezes" i was going to wait. probably just built up too much expectation from others on here..

They're just teething problems. It's still very new & in development.

Every blade rom has some pretty large bugs, CM7 fixes a lot of the bugs that were in the Froyo roms. It has a few of it's own bugs, but they're getting fixed. It's the best Blade rom around at the moment & getting better as more bugs are fixed.

Edited by wbaw

Surely apndroid is the best workaround for the 3G issue isn't it?

Yup, it is. So obvious, yet I didn't think about it ^^". I guess it's because I still had some MBs on my monthly data allowance when the bug occurred first. But as last night I ate through limits and a bit beyond (putting some $$ on my tab of course), I resorted to APNdroid this morning, no issues.

Good my contract is up and I can renew it with (sort of) unlimited data.

Guest Bazd123

Just tried N8 and the wifi issue where when you turn it off the 3G comes on is still there and also my battery drained at an alarming rate!

Time to restore back to Froyo 2.2.

Edited by Bazd123

Guest BigD18t

So I've flashed n8 no problems so far, looks like more clock opiotns for the CPU, clocked mine to 748 and get a great score on quadrant.

Doh, I did rotation. On the phone but its not uploaded the right way up. This was with a 768 clock.

post-770223-1298803717_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigD18t

Guest fonix232
Just tried CM8 and the wifi issue where when you turn it off the 3G comes on is still there and also my battery drained at an alarming rate!

Time to restore back to Froyo 2.2.

:huh: Where did you get CM8?

BTW, just modify "End button behavior" in Spare Parts, set it to "Go to sleep" and battery drain will be stopped.

Guest doubleluckstur

BTW, just modify "End button behavior" in Spare Parts, set it to "Go to sleep" and battery drain will be stopped.

download.cyanogenmod.com lol. He means Nightly 8 which came out last night.

Edited by doubleluckstur

Guest targetbsp

The battery drain is bad anyway even with that set. From a quick google it seems that option is mostly useful for re-assigning the end call button on the HTC Hero. We don't have such a button.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest geegeethatsme

Saddo that I am, my working life is spent on software development and governance. To second what has been said many times already, the Nightlies are test vehicles that we are being invited to access, to try, and to report issues. The last part is vital and the measure of success on CM7's route to v1.0 is the number of issues raised and their close-out rate. From what I have seen to date, the Cyanogen guys are achieving some pretty impressive results on the latter, and if you need the evidence, go the the site and look at the incidence of bug reports and fixes on other devices. We're being exceptionally well-served it seems to me, and we need to be both patient and disciplined in reporting back any issues rather than just sharing a problem on this site. I wouldn't be so presumptious as to predict at what point CM7 will move to v1.0 but it can't be far off, and will probably have some 'concessions' which users will need to accept as unfixable once Pareto kicks in. And, of course, there is an unwritten rule that you leave the early adopters to v1.0 and wait out for v1.1. That's the one that will really hum. :huh:

Guest airuzzo
Saddo that I am, my working life is spent on software development and governance. To second what has been said many times already, the Nightlies are test vehicles that we are being invited to access, to try, and to report issues. The last part is vital and the measure of success on CM7's route to v1.0 is the number of issues raised and their close-out rate. From what I have seen to date, the Cyanogen guys are achieving some pretty impressive results on the latter, and if you need the evidence, go the the site and look at the incidence of bug reports and fixes on other devices. We're being exceptionally well-served it seems to me, and we need to be both patient and disciplined in reporting back any issues rather than just sharing a problem on this site. I wouldn't be so presumptious as to predict at what point CM7 will move to v1.0 but it can't be far off, and will probably have some 'concessions' which users will need to accept as unfixable once Pareto kicks in. And, of course, there is an unwritten rule that you leave the early adopters to v1.0 and wait out for v1.1. That's the one that will really hum. :huh:

AMEN!

The battery drain is bad anyway... and the blade doesn't have an end button? From a quick google it seems that option is mostly useful for the Hero.

Sure, Blade doesn't have an End button. Still that fix is true - if you switch that option, Blade CM7 goes to sleep proprely. Don't ask me why, only God, Tom and Cyanogen know that :huh:

Guest doubleluckstur

Surely this is incorrect..

No nightlies in the bug reports?

Guest targetbsp
Sure, Blade doesn't have an End button. Still that fix is true - if you switch that option, Blade CM7 goes to sleep proprely. Don't ask me why, only God, Tom and Cyanogen know that :huh:

Ah! Fair enough! lol. I did set it straight away so I've never seen the drain without it. It's bad enough with it set. :)

Even with that selected, the phone does not sleep properly. That option does nothing to help. Still battery issues are being reported across the board on other devices since CM7 RC1, not just with the Blade. Hopefully there'll be a fix soon.

Guest JimJam707

It appears that Nightly 8 has fixed the Black and White photo issue.

Even though I have the 3.2mpx camera, my images were still lacking colour. The update has fixed that :huh:

Guest fonix232
Even with that selected, the phone does not sleep properly. That option does nothing to help. Still battery issues are being reported across the board on other devices since CM7 RC1, not just with the Blade. Hopefully there'll be a fix soon.

IDK about yours, but my battery life is great. Been to a party yesterday (today, actually). I left home at 18:30, with 89% charged. Listening to music on the bus (15min) and about 5 hours of show-off and wifi usage. When I woke up today, battery at 47%. Tell me it isn't good :huh:

Guest Pelemane
It appears that Nightly 8 has fixed the Black and White photo issue.

Even though I have the 3.2mpx camera, my images were still lacking colour. The update has fixed that :huh:

Didn't fix my 5mp camera.