CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest targetbsp

Mine seems to have improved a lot. I lost 0% over 3 or 4 hours then used the phone for a bit and it went down 9% then the next standby period of 5 hours it again went down 0%!

I'm charging up to full before I sleep and will see how much it goes down overnight but my initial impressions are good on the battery front. If this is light on the battery overnight then I'm keeping this version until the freezing touchscreen is fixed. :huh:

Guest Matthew Ferguson
That's the ADW launcher. Make sure that you turn OFF the animated wall paper. It's a pity they leave this enabled by default on the Blade build when its clear the phone can't handle it and still give smooth launcher performance. Some tweaks, like disabling animations, will also help. When you do that it'll run as smoothly as any Froyo rom. Alternatively you can try Launcher Pro from the market. Tweak its options and it'll run smoother than any of the 2.2's :huh:

Due to poor 2D performance, most launchers, not including the stock gingerbread one in the market, seem to be running slowly in this ROM. They're working on a fix. This includes ADW, ADW Ex, and Launcher Pro, NO MATTER HOW YOU TWEAK IT

Guest Matthew Ferguson
I have done a clean install of Nightly 8, applied the above and am still loosing 3% or 4% an hour ! With the FLB roms I loose approx 10% in 8 hours with exactly the same Email/Reader/Twitter/Facebook running. Exactly the same with previous versions of CM7 nightlys.

Have you also, as posted FREQUENTLY in this thread, set the End Key Behaviour to Sleep in Spare Parts? I just did a check, and over 4 hours on sleep my phone drained 9%, leaving me to calculate that the phone would last 40 hours on sleep, and drains less than 2% an hour.

Guest Nick Rhodes
Have you also, as posted FREQUENTLY in this thread, set the End Key Behaviour to Sleep in Spare Parts?

Yes I did, I did say in my previous post I had :huh:

Edited by Nick Rhodes

I've managed to get launcher pro running as fast as it was on froyo for me, I downloaded an app called `' draw! (free)' from the market and set it as a live wallpaper

Also In launcher pro settings set the opening speed of the app drawer to 9 and you don't see the choppy animations

Edited by ms20

Hack or no hack, Live wallpapers harm the performance because of the fairly slow CPU in the Blade. They're barely acceptable even on 1Ghz A8 CPU's (IMO), and they'll also drain even more battery too, which is already an issue on the current CM7. If you find performance acceptable on the Blade, whilst running a live wallpaper, then you have a different standard for what you find acceptable performance from me :huh:

I've had poor experiences with ADW (more laggy behaviours etc) and still prefer Launcher Pro personally. :)

I've just ran top in adb shell... 34% cpu usage by Nexus live wallpaper alone. D'oh. It wasn't making my launcher slow, but 1/3 cpu being eaten by a wallpaper? NO WAY. :P

Guest Scoopading
Due to poor 2D performance, most launchers, not including the stock gingerbread one in the market, seem to be running slowly in this ROM. They're working on a fix. This includes ADW, ADW Ex, and Launcher Pro, NO MATTER HOW YOU TWEAK IT

I didn't notice much better performance with the stock Gingerbread launcher (the one on the market by Steve Lin). However everything seems to be running extremely smoothly with Launcher Pro. Can you tell me specifically where (in what apps and doing what) the poor 2D performance is supposed to manifest itself? Please give me some specifics because I'm just not seeing any issues with Launcher Pro and so I have to disagree with your words atm.

I've managed to get launcher pro running as fast as it was on froyo for me

This is also my experience. (edit: and whatdya know.. my drawer opening speed is also set to 9.. :huh: )

Incidently, using the app "Wheres my droid power" (to look at battery usage) it seems to show that ADW also consistently uses more battery power than Launcher Pro too. So it's not only performaning worse, it seems it's using more battery to do it.

Edited by Scoopading

Guest mvheuver
I've managed to get launcher pro running as fast as it was on froyo for me, I downloaded an app called `' draw! (free)' from the market and set it as a live wallpaper

Also In launcher pro settings set the opening speed of the app drawer to 9 and you don't see the choppy animations

Am I missing something? I went from JJ9 to CM7 nightly 6 the other day and both on stock launcher and Launcher Pro, without any kind of tweaking, the speed is fantastic. Everything is so fast on this ROM so I don't really understand the comments about sluggishness of the launcher.

Guest Matthew Ferguson

I'm sorry, but this post is a joke. I just did the "tip" which you posted, and if you even dare to joke that this makes LauncherPro "as smooth" as it was in froyo, there's something wrong with you. Sliding through the app drawer is SLOW. Switching through home screens is SLOW. Anyone reading this comment, don't even bother with this tip, it's ridiculous.

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Am I missing something? I went from JJ9 to CM7 nightly 6 the other day and both on stock launcher and Launcher Pro, without any kind of tweaking, the speed is fantastic. Everything is so fast on this ROM so I don't really understand the comments about sluggishness of the launcher.

Yes, as JJ9 runs LauncherPro quite slowly. If you install FLB-Froyo R9b and see how smooth LauncherPro is, you'll understand.

Guest Matthew Ferguson
I didn't notice much better performance with the stock Gingerbread launcher (the one on the market by Steve Lin). However everything seems to be running extremely smoothly with Launcher Pro. Can you tell me specifically where (in what apps and doing what) the poor 2D performance is supposed to manifest itself? Please give me some specifics because I'm just not seeing any issues with Launcher Pro and so I have to disagree with your words atm.

This is also my experience. (edit: and whatdya know.. my drawer opening speed is also set to 9.. :huh: )

Incidently, using the app "Wheres my droid power" (to look at battery usage) it seems to show that ADW also consistently uses more battery power than Launcher Pro too. So it's not only performaning worse, it seems it's using more battery to do it.

I don't use the one on the market by Steve Lin. I use the one by Eugene. The poor 2D performance is shown in the launcher, hence why I referenced to it. Opening speed increase to 9 REMOVES the animation entirely, it doesn't make it smooth at all.

Guest Scoopading
I don't use the one on the market by Steve Lin. I use the one by Eugene. The poor 2D performance is shown in the launcher, hence why I referenced to it. Opening speed increase to 9 REMOVES the animation entirely, it doesn't make it smooth at all.

I disable animations for better performance (I prefer quick/smooth to a bunch of eye candy, and a clear 5th row on the app drawer Vs a 3D effect). However, when you open the app drawer on other launchers, and then scroll the contents of the app drawer quickly, they produce somewhat jerky graphics. For me the movement, using Launcher Pro, is noticeably more smooth than other launchers with the same tweaks (no animation etc) applied.

Guest NightSt@lk3r

Launcher Pro was so smooth on Jap Jelly RLS9 for me, but With CM7 Nightly 8 Launcher Pro, ADW, Zeam, Stock Gingerbread launcher are all laggy, although not quite as bad as they were in RC1.

And its not just the launcher and app draw that are laggy either, scrolling through menu's in apps, scrolling the page in the web browser, youtube app, twitter app, facebook app are also jerky.

Edited by NightSt@lk3r

I'm sorry, but this post is a joke. I just did the "tip" which you posted, and if you even dare to joke that this makes LauncherPro "as smooth" as it was in froyo, there's something wrong with you. Sliding through the app drawer is SLOW. Switching through home screens is SLOW. Anyone reading this comment, don't even bother with this tip, it's ridiculous.

Sorry if it doesn't work for you but it works for me I also have it overclocked to 690mhz but even at 600 its smooth for me.

edit and ive used jj since rls 1 and flb since rls 7

Edited by ms20

Guest Matthew Ferguson
I disable animations for better performance (I prefer quick/smooth to a bunch of eye candy, and a clear 5th row on the app drawer Vs a 3D effect). However, when you open the app drawer on other launchers, and then scroll the contents of the app drawer quickly, they produce somewhat jerky graphics. For me the movement, using Launcher Pro, is noticeably more smooth than other launchers with the same tweaks (no animation etc) applied.

But my point is, with the stock launcher, I have it on 3D (there's no way to turn it off) and it runs completely smoothly. I have it on standard 2D mode in launcher pro and it's so laggy. If you try and turn it back to the stock 4 level, it's laggy, even though that's the speed at which the stock launcher seems to open.

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Launcher Pro was so smooth on Jap Jelly RLS9 for me, but With CM7 Nightly 8 Launcher Pro, ADW, Zeam, Stock Gingerbread launcher are all laggy, although not quite as bad as they were in RC1.

And its not just the launcher and app draw that are laggy either, scrolling through menu's in apps, scrolling the page in the web browser, youtube app, twitter app, facebook app are also jerky.

It's even smoother on FLB R9b, but I've noticed the stock launcher I'm using (Eugene) is working smoothly in the app drawer, Launcher pro is definitely not.

Very minor point. Does anyone know if the in-call voice recording is in the works?

I would imagine it is not a function which is critical to everyone. But it is handy not to pull over on a freeway just to jot something down.

Guest Scoopading
But my point is, with the stock launcher, I have it on 3D (there's no way to turn it off) and it runs completely smoothly. I have it on standard 2D mode in launcher pro and it's so laggy. If you try and turn it back to the stock 4 level, it's laggy, even though that's the speed at which the stock launcher seems to open.
Again, that's not my experience. I just tried the Gingerbread launcher by Eugene373 that you mentioned. It defaults to quite a slow speed, but it is nice and smooth as you said. However Launcher Pro is as smooth for me, with the bonus that I can customize it to make the scrolling faster etc (the stock Gingerbread by Eugene373 speed feels a little slow to me). But I'm just not seeing the lag you mention with Launcher Pro..

The Euegene373 stock Gingerbread launcher uses about the same battery as Launcher Pro too, so they both seem better than ADW in that regard. What you might be doing is setting the high quality scrolling to "on" with Launcher Pro? Whilst that does improve how the icons look when scrolled quickly, and also does it smoother, as soon as you make any quick movements the phone is less responsive. So high quality scrolling set to "enabled" can make the phone feel more laggy in my experience.. I also have elastic scroll off, both opening speeds at 9, and min scrolling speed at 74. YMMV, and obviously has in your case for whatever reason.

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Again, that's not my experience. I just tried the Gingerbread launcher by Eugene373 that you mentioned. It defaults to quite a slow speed, but it is nice and smooth as you said. However Launcher Pro is as smooth for me, with the bonus that I can customize it to make the scrolling faster etc (the stock Gingerbread by Eugene373 speed feels a little slow to me). But I'm just not seeing the lag you mention with Launcher Pro..

The Euegene373 stock Gingerbread launcher uses about the same battery as Launcher Pro too, so they both seem better than ADW in that regard. What you might be doing is setting the high quality scrolling to "on" with Launcher Pro? Whilst that does improve how the icons look when scrolled quickly, and also does it smoother, as soon as you make any quick movements the phone is less responsive. So high quality scrolling set to "enabled" can make the phone feel more laggy in my experience.. I also have elastic scroll off, both opening speeds at 9, and min scrolling speed at 74. YMMV, and obviously has in your case for whatever reason.

I've stated this before and I'll state it again. Setting the opening speed to 9 on launcher pro prettymuch removes the app drawer animation entirely, and therefore cannot be called smooth at all.

Set the opening speed to 4 and compare it with that in JJ9 or FLB r9a, and you'll see what I mean. High Quality scrolling, whether on or off, seems to make none or little difference, as it has done it previous ROMs. You may think that LP is running smoothly, but honestly, with an opening speed of 9, it's impossible to tell, as you're skipping the visual entirely.

Guest Ashenfall

I will back up what's said, 2D performance is slower on CM7, LauncherPro scrolling in the app drawer (with no changes made) is definitely not as smooth as the Froyo roms I've used.

I'm pretty sure it was fine in the CM6 beta, comparable to JJ9 etc, so I'm sure there is an underlying issue there in the current CM7 on the Blade. Menus in applications are also not as smooth.

Guest Scoopading
Set the opening speed to 4
I did, and the animation remains smooth for me! I don't doubt what you're seeing, I'm just telling you that I'm not experiencing the same thing. Launcher Pro is behaving smoothly for me even set to 4.

You may think that LP is running smoothly, but honestly, with an opening speed of 9, it's impossible to tell, as you're skipping the visual entirely.
As I said, even set lower, it still runs smoothly for me, so I'm not sure what problem you're having. Also, even though I prefer to skip the animations entirely, it's still easy to gauge how smoothly things are running when you scroll the contents of the app drawer with any sort of speed. One reason the stock launcher might seem smoother to you is, because it scrolls more slowly, it's easier for the graphics to keep up with the refresh rate / response time of the screen. But I'm honestly not seeing any lag you're talking about on Launcher Pro, as long as I disable the options I mentioned, so I can only agree to disagree with you about this one :huh:

Edit to add - running no desktop widgets, I also have many things disabled with Autoruns, and I've removed several apps (which tend to start automatically) completely with Titanium backup. I have the desktop background set to no scrolling, and my CPU is overclocked to 690Mhz.

After looking carefully at really slow scroll speeds there may be a small jitter Vs 2.2, but it's tough to tell for sure. Either way, in normal usage, I'm not seeing these particular issues :)

Cheers

Edited by Scoopading

Guest Matthew Ferguson
I did, and the animation remains smooth for me! I don't doubt what you're seeing, I'm just telling you that I'm not experiencing the same thing. Launcher Pro is behaving smoothly for me even set to 4.

As I said, even set lower, it still runs smoothly for me, so I'm not sure what problem you're having. Also, even though I prefer to skip the animations entirely, it's still easy to gauge how smoothly things are running when you scroll the contents of the app drawer with any sort of speed. One reason the stock launcher might seem smoother to you is, because it scrolls more slowly, it's easier for the graphics to keep up with the refresh rate / response time of the screen. But I'm honestly not seeing any lag you're talking about on Launcher Pro, as long as I disable the options I mentioned, so I can only agree to disagree with you about this one :huh:

Edit to add - running no desktop widgets, I also have many things disabled with Autoruns, and I've removed several apps (which tend to start automatically) completely with Titanium backup. I have the desktop background set to no scrolling, and my CPU is overclocked to 690Mhz.

After looking carefully at really slow scroll speeds there may be a small jitter Vs 2.2, but it's tough to tell for sure. Either way, in normal usage, I'm not seeing these particular issues :)

Cheers

If this is true, backup your launcher pro and uninstall it, and install a completely fresh instance of it. Video its performance and I'll do the same, and we can compare. You claim in normal usage you don't see these issues, well, a fresh install of launcher pro for many is a normal installation. Since you're not using a single widget, you've overclocked, and removed a reasonable amount of apps, this could be why you're not experiencing any issues. Because of this, LauncherPro IS running slowly, as if I set it with the same settings as in a Froyo rom, it runs drastically slower. I'll also upload a video of it running stock in froyo, if you'll do the same with Gingerbread.

Edited by Matthew Ferguson