CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest targetbsp
Mine seems to have improved a lot. I lost 0% over 3 or 4 hours then used the phone for a bit and it went down 9% then the next standby period of 5 hours it again went down 0%!

So much for that optimism! It lost 21% overnight in airplane mode! It's weird, I forgot to take it out of the 3g mode it puts itself in when you update the rom and it loses 0% in 8 or 9 hours of standby! And then the more power saving features you enable... the faster it uses battery lol. My standby in the previous rom using 2g went down faster and then airplane even faster again.

Guest swordtail
Anybody else come across this issue?

The phone will not take a charge when using a car charger,it will hold it at a constant % ie if it was at 50% charge after a 40 minute drive home it was exactly the same.I also tried turning off the phone and charging it that way and on a 40 minute drive it only added 5% to the battery! I can get that within 5 minutes when connected to the mains and the car charger was a 1000 mah one.I've tried it with two car chargers and I have the same issue.

Right I have modified the charger and it now shows AC charging in spare parts but the same issue remains, it will not charge the phone and will only hold it at it's current charge level can someone please check if this is a CM7 related issue or it's my Blade on the Fritz by charging theirs by a car charger.I don't want to open a new issue if it's only me!!

Guest Frankish

If using the lense lockscreen is it normal for the phone app to use rotary style to answer? I like lense but hate the rotary thing.

Edited by Frankish

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
This has been fixed today, so it will be included in the next nightly.

http://r.cyanogenmod.com/#change,3472

Ah, but it isn't in yet, so I won't change it till tomorrow :huh:

Victor, you probably should add the CyanogenMod android_framework_base commit history to the links in the first posting, too.

Could do, could be useful.

This is turning out to be a very good rom. The only minor quirk is of course, battery life in standby. Even in nightly 8, it's losing battery like crazy. Dont know how some people are not having battery issues. I have tried everything (Yes, even including the go to sleep end button behaviour in Spare Parts.)

Guest Rotmann
I guess so. However I think CM7 reports battery use on our blades (at least) wrong, and hence 30% may not be actual 30%. Just to add further complication

And I'm babbling. To be 100% honest, i'm not totally sure what you were on about...

Exactly what I think, although Rotmann may not have aproved of my testing methodology I stand by my claim that CM7 is translating its reading from the battery incorrectly resulting in the OS displaying a more rapid battery decrease than is true.

I have compared the mV number at full battery, 75%, 50%, 25% and 2% between my wife's FLB Froyo Sanfran and my CM7 Sanfran. The values are pretty much the same (not exactly the same, but you know what I mean). This is why I state that CM7 reads and reports the battery status pretty accurate, you can compare this for yourself with a Froyo or Eclair Sanfran. The problem may be the paranoic garbage collector which collects garbage way too often.

Victor, you probably should add the CyanogenMod android_framework_base commit history to the links in the first posting, too.

+1

Edited by Rotmann

Guest Salsaholic

This is really interesting stuff, thanks for the link, Grain!

It also shows that Wimax support has just been added as of 22.2.2011 - so how about feature freeze and not adding our FM radio support???

Actually this also seems to be the source of (or at least related to) the "connect to GSM after Wifi" issue, so it's a nice demonstration of how risky it is to include new functionality into a RC...

Guest leetron1

Heard batt life was better under N8..flashed it over...full charge & batt calib 8pm last night..batt light flashing <10% 8am this morning on hardly any use..

Just flashed Flib's r10...

Guest Qwertzycoatl

Just gone back to Flb for now...

Seems since nightly 4 with the extra kernel flash (which worked well for proximity) I have gone to N6 and N8...both experienced random freezes of the touchscreen and a re-occurence of the proximity issue for me...sadly a deal breaker since I use it quite a lot as a phone.

Oher than that it was a great rom, decent battery (for me as a light user) and snappy as anything :huh:

Anyone else finding that N8 won't allow USB mounting?

Also, N8 rebooted when connecting to USB on one occasion, shame they don't accept logs from nightlies as it might have helped to solve the problem.

Back on N6 for now.

Guest doubleluckstur

Also, N8 rebooted when connecting to USB on one occasion, shame they don't accept logs from nightlies as it might have helped to solve the problem.

Back on N6 for now.

it works for me..

Back on N6 for now.

Works for me, sounds like you need to wipe.

If you find bugs in nightlies you report them in the nightly discussion on cyanogen forums.

Guest Luke2642

Is there any way to make the killing of background threads less aggressive in CM?

My sportstracker pro bluetooth heart rate monitor keeps getting killed when the screen is on sleep. The tracker keeps on recording the GPS position / speed etc and it *thinks* the monitor is still connected but reports a constant bpm - it could be a bluetooth stack issue. It works fine on Paul's R12 rom. I do see these in the logcat sometimes:

I/am_kill ( 176): [659,com.sportstracklive.android.zephyr,12,too many background]

I/am_proc_died( 176): [659,com.sportstracklive.android.zephyr]

It might be another issue but I'd like to eliminate this as a potential source of the problem!

Guest doubleluckstur
Its draining battery like no other rom. Anyone else with this problem? It doesnt last a day with regular use

hmm... on Nightly 8 my battery life seems to of improved. Have you turned on 'sleep' in the spare parts setting 'End button behaviour'? It increased my battery life alot

Guest timsewell
Its draining battery like no other rom. Anyone else with this problem? It doesnt last a day with regular use

I must say that N8 is proving the kindest to my battery of all the nightlies so far, two days running it has easily lasted the day. It may not have any bearing, and is certainly counter-intuitive, but someone on here mentioned that setting WiFi to 'never sleep' improved his/her battery life no end. I set this when I flashed N8 so that may be what is helping it to ease up on the battery. I have also enabled the 'sleep' end button behaviour.

Guest Frankish

With my normal usage on a work day today, which pretty much means my usage is identical, i managed to squeeze 11 hours max today. Other roms like FLB last around 18 hours for me. I disable data when not using it (manually), i do not use wifi, i always set the end button behaviour with SP, i have nothing suspicious reported in spare parts relating to battery use for time since unplugged or all time.

Pretty much nothing obviously apparent is draining the battery. It's something deep in the rom, standby time is pretty poor. :huh:

Fantastic rom otherwise. Battery drain and screen freeze my only real issue with this bad boy rom.

Works for me, sounds like you need to wipe.

If you find bugs in nightlies you report them in the nightly discussion on cyanogen forums.

But the nightly discussion on cm says no bug reports too!