CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest Mike_P
Maps multitouch working, only rotating is disabled. Tilting needs two fingers too, and it's working. I don't know rotating why not, maybe some config problem...

Rotation fix is the same as it was for the Froyo ROMs.

Guest Rotmann

You can do this if you want to enable it:

The "android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.distinct" feature should be added to the permissions list in etc/permissions/android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.xml by inserting the following line in the obvious position:

<feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.distinct" />

@t0mm13b, you said something about RC2 :( Could you tell us more if you have some legit infos? Thanks.

Guest t0mm13b
You can do this if you want to enable it:

@t0mm13b, you said something about RC2 :) Could you tell us more if you have some legit infos? Thanks.

Not 100% sure, the messages of the convo's were whizzing by.. have no legit info on this but Tom G clearly mentioned something about RC2 and Sunday... so who knows.. ;) have no idea... I lurk in #zteblade channel on freenode so..... :( Maybe a worthwhile thing to do - log in and just lurk ... :(

Guest Rotmann

Thanks for the heads up.

Just discovered some stuff on phandroid. Look here, crazy stuff, some users reported here too that setting the wifi to never sleep improved battery life.

One user claims his Nexus One ran through 40 percent of its battery over night sitting idle on his nightstand.

The issue seems to be related to how the phone and OS are handling idle services while the phone is sleeping with its screen off. While turning these services such as Wi-Fi on and off seemed to have no effect, setting Wi-Fi to never sleep actually conserved battery life versus setting Wi-Fi to sleep when the phone sleeps.

Guest t0mm13b
Thanks for the heads up.

Just discovered some stuff on phandroid. Look here, crazy stuff, some users reported here too that setting the wifi to never sleep improved battery life.

Sounds contradictory eh?... :(

you'd think setting the wifi to sleep would save the battery!!!! :( lol!

Guest pinglis

does anyone else have the problem where the phone seems to take bloomin ages to charge ie put on charge a 6.30 last night on mains (13%) with phone switched off and just turned it on and its only on 33% could this be related to the whole discharge issue?

Guest hedgepigdaniel
does anyone else have the problem where the phone seems to take bloomin ages to charge ie put on charge a 6.30 last night on mains (13%) with phone switched off and just turned it on and its only on 33% could this be related to the whole discharge issue?

I've had that problem when running battery intensive tasks (wifi tethering on 2.2 for example)

I think it indicates you have something wasting alot of power while you're charging, so there is hardly any left to actually charge the battery. The phone is capable of using power faster than it can charge.

Guest Scoopading

CM7 does take a long time to charge (as of nightly 12). As t0mm13b (thankfully!) noticed, the phones kernel was configured to never allow the CPU to idle. This likely means the phone would be slower to charge because the CPU was always eating more power than it should. This issue should probably be fixed in the next (or one after next) nightly build.

Your problem seems to be much more severe than most though, probably because of whatever background tasks you've got running on the phone. You should check, because it seems like something was eating a whole lot of power. In the meantime, if you switch the phone off before charging it from the mains, it should charge quickly, or at least quickly enough to charge it up so you can install the next nightly to (hopefully) fix the issue :(

Guest pinglis

phone was turned off so nothing running but thanks for the replies

phone jumped to about 53% within minutes of pugging it into the usb

stranger and stranger

Guest Scoopading
phone was turned off so nothing running but thanks for the replies

If the phone was fully powered off, as in you pressed the power button and selected "Power off", and not just sleeping, then that is weird - and sounds more like a hardware issue.

phone jumped to about 53% within minutes of pugging it into the usb

The battery reading can't always be completely trusted. In particular anything between 98% and 100%, since it'll go between those in the blink of an eye. I have noticed that, when charging, it does seem to take longer to go from 50 to 70% than it does to go from 70 to 90% though.. Still, it sounds a lot more extreme in your case. Maybe try entering ClockworkMod Recovery, selecting advanced, and wiping the battery stats?

Guest pinglis

I've had this phone since virtualy day one and not had an issue with any of the roms I've tried

not even really had many of the little niggles that people post about

been really lucky with this handset

not really a great issue just wondered if anyone else had the same problem

Guest swordtail
I've had this phone since virtualy day one and not had an issue with any of the roms I've tried

not even really had many of the little niggles that people post about

been really lucky with this handset

not really a great issue just wondered if anyone else had the same problem

I've had similar and it turned out to be the usb lead I was using.Even though it showed as charging it was only Charging about 5% every couple of hours so I swapped that out for another and it fixed my problem.

Guest Poodha
Not 100% sure, the messages of the convo's were whizzing by.. have no legit info on this but Tom G clearly mentioned something about RC2 and Sunday... so who knows.. :) have no idea... I lurk in #zteblade channel on freenode so..... :( Maybe a worthwhile thing to do - log in and just lurk ... :(

RC2 on Sunday! NICE! ;)

Although a stupid question. What exactly is the difference between RC2 and the nightlies? Do they accumulate all the info from the nightlies(since it seems the nightlies aren't always improvements over each other) and release a better ROM?

Cause RC1 wasn't that bad for me. Only thing that put it off for me was the screen freezing after a call and the lack of wifi hotspot. If they fix that, I'm all game.

Guest Simon O

Nightlys are build between RC builds and they often contain latest code that is untested and could possibly be unstable. RC (release candidate) are exactly what they are called. They are releases which the Cyanogenmod team feel are stable and complete enough for release and made final if there are no show stopping bugs.

People should be aware that RC2 of CM7 does not mean that all the serious bugs in the blade port will have been fixed. It's more to do with the cyanogen portions of the code that determine if the release is RC or not. And please don't bitch and moan at the developers if bugs are unfixed.

Guest The Soup Thief
anyone got any suggestions to fix the screen freeze while on a call? not that i like voice mail but atm its off limits

Menu>settings >accessibility >powerbutton ends call

Not a fix but it lets you end a call when the screen's frozen

Guest fonix232
Them buildbot ain't nice to us, eh ?

*taptaptap*

Proof of morning hangover-halfblindness: just misread this message into *fapfapfap*. I was like, WTF? Then I read it again and again. Oh, got it.

Any way, I hope RC2 will fix this re-appearing bug of the after-call black screen. It's simply so annoying that I have to choose between the goodness of 2.3.3 and calls :S I'm on nightly 11, mot.proximity fix added, and still, it is happening.

Guest SWOriginal

Not haveing any screen off issue here, made atleast 20 calls yesterday (some even over 5mins) and the screen woke each time...

can't remember the build number but it was built on the 1st if March ...

Guest Frankish

If people are having screen freeze issue still why not just take the boot.img from the last nightly that HAD the proximity fix and flash that with the latest nightly. If i remember right the proximity fix was made in kernel. That way you would (should) have proximity fix with latest nightly version.

Who'd have thought that something nice like an RC build will get in the way of the Nightly we all want. Ah well, more waiting.

Guest Frankish

Anyone who has a clue what they are doing (not me lol) can just build the thing from source though and have all the latest changes right?

Guest Maringer
If people are having screen freeze issue still why not just take the boot.img from the last nightly that HAD the proximity fix and flash that with the latest nightly. If i remember right the proximity fix was made in kernel. That way you would (should) have proximity fix with latest nightly version.

The point is that, for some of us at least, there is no reliable proximity fix at present.

I don't want to harp on about this but for some reason there seems to be the viewpoint that N8 fixed the problem and it certainly didn't for me and, I assume, others! Different versions of the Blade, different outcomes, perhaps?

I do wonder just how many different hardware versions of the Blade that ZTE have produced? I know they've sold a lot of them but there seems to be quite a wide variation in the way the different phones behave in certain situations which surely can't just be down to them having different screen types? I suppose the differing camera types have an impact as well.

Anyone who has a clue what they are doing (not me lol) can just build the thing from source though and have all the latest changes right?

Well yeah, it's the kernel and some files around it. An update zip should do the trick.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4

Is there an intro / build guide somewhere that would give a clue ?