CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest Grain
I was thinking of getting this thread closed and starting afresh when RC2 comes, I think 101 pages just steps over the easily usable mark.

Please don't. It doesn't matter whether it's 10 pages or 100, it's unreadable quickly anyways. Creating a new thread will void subscriptions and pollutes search: Think about someone searching for a term and stumbling over the "old" thread - finding out then that the discussion is going on somewhere else is difficult. With one thread only, it's just clicking on the "last page" button.

Also, the thread here is not really about RC1 anyways, so why creating a new thread for RC2?

Excellent. Well. Considering that backs up what I've pretty much already decided, it's a deal. And thank you guys for keeping this thread very level headed, not too much shouting and asking the same questions.

And now, we wait for RC2. Hoorah. Anyone placing bets on when it's going to be out? I'd say about 5pm, personally.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
Please don't. It doesn't matter whether it's 10 pages or 100, it's unreadable quickly anyways. Creating a new thread will void subscriptions and pollutes search: Think about someone searching for a term and stumbling over the "old" thread - finding out then that the discussion is going on somewhere else is difficult. With one thread only, it's just clicking on the "last page" button.

Also, the thread here is not really about RC1 anyways, so why creating a new thread for RC2?

I'd say if the "old" thread ends with a forward reference to the new,

and a backward reference to the old is added to the new one, that

shouldn't be too much of an issue ?

I was thinking of getting this thread closed and starting afresh when RC2 comes, I think 101 pages just steps over the easily usable mark. I need to do a nice big sort out of the first post, with the added benefit of it being read. And then, when RC2 comes out we easily relate to the first post because we'll be dowwn that end of the thread anyway, and less trawling will be required on my part.

Do you guys think this is a sensible route to take?

If you could just moderate this thread and delete the posts that do not add to the current discussion, which is probably 90%+ of them, then it would be fine.

This particular off-topic discussion itself should be removed at that point.

Guest JimJam707
Excellent. Well. Considering that backs up what I've pretty much already decided, it's a deal. And thank you guys for keeping this thread very level headed, not too much shouting and asking the same questions.

And now, we wait for RC2. Hoorah. Anyone placing bets on when it's going to be out? I'd say about 5pm, personally.

I think RC2 will come out next Wednesday XD

jk. Maybe Midday today? (15 minutes :( )

It was about RC1 to begin with (well, Nightlies, yes, but considering that thread was handled by Jacob, and quickly got out of hand, I made this'n). It's evolved since then. And anyway, a searcher would stumble along here, find the information, and, if he doesn't, the final post will have a link to the new thread, and discussions can be carried on there. This one will be locked, of course. I'll spend a while going throgh the last few pages, extracting infos. It's been tough keeping up recently, a lot of this stuff about the new kernel needs a rounding up, but considering it's going to be in RC2, start afresh from there.

Guest M4T1A5

I don't get the talk about the battery drain. What kind of magic are you using to get more than 2 days of idle? I never got more than that, not on JJ, not on the stock rom, never. Currently if the phone lasts till school i'm okay with it and i'll just leave it charging for the night.

Guest Pelemane

Next Wednesday,We will get a perfect ROM. :(

(I know that is old prank but it makes me smile everytime :()

Guest Zythus

RC2 shouldn't be tested? And sent as "stable"? Afaik, tests should be made, like few days, or sth.. I don't think it will come today out. :(

Guest JimJam707
Next Wednesday,We will get a perfect ROM. :(

(I know that is old prank but it makes me smile everytime :()

Beat you to it :)

Guest Pelemane
RC2 shouldn't be tested? And sent as "stable"? Afaik, tests should be made, like few days, or sth.. I don't think it will come today out. :(

No one is saying it's "stable" and we are testers for that so I think that it will come out as soon as it's ready.

If you could just moderate this thread and delete the posts that do not add to the current discussion, which is probably 90%+ of them, then it would be fine.

This particular off-topic discussion itself should be removed at that point.

That would take a days of work. It's an infinitely easier to start a new thread. I think back and forward linking is the way, however.

Guest The Soup Thief
That would take a days of work. It's an infinitely easier to start a new thread. I think back and forward linking is the way, however.

Yup - I'd agree with yourself and most of the views expressed. Closing this one and starting again (with a brief synopsis of the key "learnings" from this thread, if you could take on that task) would seem a smart plan. If you grab the first 3 posts and try (as you have here) to summarise new stuff as it comes up later in the post, eg with new RC2 nightlies. Maybe some other dedicated soul might grab post 3 or 4 and keep it updated so the two of you can share the onerous task of keeping it updated?

Changing the title of the thread (ie stating "closed", or locking it, as you've suggested) should stop people posting to it

Locking might be best as I see a few people have continued to post about CM7 on the old CM6.1/CM7 thread

Trying to dissuade people from chat might be an idea - I've been guilty of this in the last few days, sorry - perhaps tandem threads? "RC2 fixes" and "RC2 problems" might be an idea? (Probably would need too much discipline though)

When will RC2 be released?

CM releases for the blade have settled into a pattern between midnight and 5am ish, with only RC1 and nightly 1 deviating far from this

Fraid my money's on the early hours of tomorrow morning...

Guest Grain
It was about RC1 to begin with (well, Nightlies, yes, but considering that thread was handled by Jacob, and quickly got out of hand, I made this'n). It's evolved since then. And anyway, a searcher would stumble along here, find the information, and, if he doesn't, the final post will have a link to the new thread, and discussions can be carried on there.

Still, I don't understand what you want to achieve by that. The new thread will quickly get unreadable again no matter what you do. I would rather propose to use the thread/forum *for discussion* and aggregate the actual information on a separate wiki page. This will probably also mean less work for you, as others can help maintaining that page.

Yup - I'd agree with yourself and most of the views expressed. Closing this one and starting again (with a brief synopsis of the key "learnings" from this thread, if you could take on that task) would seem a smart plan. If you grab the first 3 posts and try (as you have here) to summarise new stuff as it comes up later in the post, eg with new RC2 nightlies. Maybe some other dedicated soul might grab post 3 or 4 and keep it updated so the two of you can share the onerous task of keeping it updated?

Changing the title of the thread (ie stating "closed", or locking it, as you've suggested) should stop people posting to it

Locking might be best as I see a few people have continued to post about CM7 on the old CM6.1/CM7 thread

Trying to dissuade people from chat might be an idea - I've been guilty of this in the last few days, sorry - perhaps tandem threads? "RC2 fixes" and "RC2 problems" might be an idea? (Probably would need too much discipline though)

When will RC2 be released?

CM releases for the blade have settled into a pattern between midnight and 5am ish, with only RC1 and nightly 1 deviating far from this

Fraid my money's on the early hours of tomorrow morning...

If you would be so kind to do a synopsis, that would be most excellent. I'm working on the RC2 post now, I'll just save it on my computer and post when ready. It's pretty much the same as the current, just with a few areas tidied up.

And yes, I have moderators on my side to keep this locked up, I'll add a closing post and everything.

And about the chat, I know it fills up the topic quickly, but a sterile clinical thread quickly becomes boring. A small amount of banter keeps people engaged. But yes, too much and information gets obfusticated.

And I think tandem threads will be a bit of Nightmare. There wasn't too much to fault with this thread, so we'll keep on a'chugging

Also @Grain, I know the wiki page is a good idea, but it's not often looked at, and there really is no harm in starting a new topic. Discussions on a topic are easier than a wiki, too

Also, actually. Why not have both. There's no stopping anyone transplanting info here onto the wiki, really

Guest The Soup Thief
If you would be so kind to do a synopsis, that would be most excellent. I'm working on the RC2 post now, I'll just save it on my computer and post when ready. It's pretty much the same as the current, just with a few areas tidied up.

And yes, I have moderators on my side to keep this locked up, I'll add a closing post and everything.

And about the chat, I know it fills up the topic quickly, but a sterile clinical thread quickly becomes boring. A small amount of banter keeps people engaged. But yes, too much and information gets obfusticated.

And I think tandem threads will be a bit of Nightmare. There wasn't too much to fault with this thread, so we'll keep on a'chugging

Also @Grain, I know the wiki page is a good idea, but it's not often looked at, and there really is no harm in starting a new topic. Discussions on a topic are easier than a wiki, too

Also, actually. Why not have both. There's no stopping anyone transplanting info here onto the wiki, really

Hiya - sorry - didn't mean to lump a load of work on you there, and I forgot to say what a great job you're doing in corralling all this info together

I'll try and grab an early post and will try and supplement what you're doing if you like (though I'm gonna be up to my spuds with work this week so may be a bit slow on this for the next bit)

Cheers :(

Hiya - sorry - didn't mean to lump a load of work on you there, and I forgot to say what a great job you're doing in corralling all this info together

I'll try and grab an early post and will try and supplement what you're doing if you like (though I'm gonna be up to my spuds with work this week so may be a bit slow on this for the next bit)

Cheers :(

Same here. Thursday, Friday and Monday are all massive deadlines for college work. I'm gonna be inundated. But i've managed it before, so things should be ok. And I'll give you a PM before i post the topic if you are around at the time, give you a heads-up.

Guest Grain

That is what I meant. Basically link to a wiki page in the first post and copy the interesting stuff from the discussion there. I'll be happy to help with that.

Edited by Grain

Guest fonix232
Same here. Thursday, Friday and Monday are all massive deadlines for college work. I'm gonna be inundated. But i've managed it before, so things should be ok. And I'll give you a PM before i post the topic if you are around at the time, give you a heads-up.

Just an idea for the new topic - instead of using stickies like [NEW] [FIXED] etc, try a chronological order of changes, and a separate list of bugs. Like this:

Nightly x+8 (2011.03.19)

- Fixed FM radio

- Fixed screen freeze

Nightly x+7 (2011.03.18)

- Fixed battery drain

- Added partially working FM Radio

RC3 (2011.03.15)

- Initial RC

Just an idea for the new topic - instead of using stickies like [NEW] [FIXED] etc, try a chronological order of changes, and a separate list of bugs. Like this:

Nightly x+8 (2011.03.19)

- Fixed FM radio

- Fixed screen freeze

Nightly x+7 (2011.03.18)

- Fixed battery drain

- Added partially working FM Radio

RC3 (2011.03.15)

- Initial RC

Yea, I probably will do that now, It was intederminable when things were fixed or not before, so just keeping it clumped helped. Will bear it in mind.

And@Grain, I think that'll be a pretty good idea then. I'll link to a wiki post at the title, but i'll still maintain the topic, as discussions are still much easier here.

Edited by Victor von Zeppelin

Guest The Soup Thief
That is what I meant. Basically link to a wiki page in the first post and copy the interesting stuff from the discussion there. I'll be happy to help with that.

Excellent! If we can work together to get the info as easily accessible as possible then maybe we can avoid the same questions being asked over and over

Guest Rotmann
Just last night i flashed it and then this morning...the missus water breaks. I'll need the battery life in hospital :)

Congratulations!

Frankish 2.0 - perfect Wednesday baby

;) LMFAO, this just shows how great the blade community is. If it will be a he will you name him Blayd? Or if she's a girl Bladie? ;) L@@K!

@People not understanding the "complaints" about miserable battery life. CM7 makes the blade lose 15-20% battery in AIRPLANE MODE in 12 hours, which means 30-40% in a single day, which would not happen on froyo or eclair (0-1%), I have tested this lots of times with the stock CM7, no gapps or apps or additions installed, the phone slept perfectly, no partial wakes. If this seems normal to you and you think playing, browsing and watching videos is the same with airplane mode and you still consider people should not mention the awful stand-by battery consumption, you definitely have a problem :( It's not the blade's battery (which is pretty good btw.) but a problem with CM7.

@Victor von Zeppelin, this thread demonstrated that it's not only the n00b's fault when threads get out of control but the original poster's too. You showed us that a well made first post and a few warnings will open the n00b's eyes and they will not pollute the thread. :D Thank you for this.

Disappointing Sunday though, broken heart when I heard that the kernel tweak does not work :(