CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest The Soup Thief
Disappointing Sunday though, broken heart when I heard that the kernel tweak does not work :(

Kernel tweak may not have done much for the battery but I'm pretty confident it has brought some improvement wrt phone waking after calls (for me at least - tttonyyy reported some improvement there too)

Guest Ciels
Hopefully this RC2 will fix the touchscreen freezing issue and improve battery life!

Why would you wish for that? I want my phone to transform into steve jobs.

@Victor von Zeppelin, this thread demonstrated that it's not only the n00b's fault when threads get out of control but the original poster's too. You showed us that a well made first post and a few warnings will open the n00b's eyes and they will not pollute the thread. :( Thank you for this.

Disappointing Sunday though, broken heart when I heard that the kernel tweak does not work :(

Thank you very much, the appreciation is nice.

But shame about the ruined sunday. Perhaps when the the whole ROM is put together, then things may have changed. Lets hope

Guest timsewell

Until we get a fix for the end of call bug I've found an app in the market called On Call End in which you can specify that the app forces the phone to a specified screen after a call, with different settings for incoming and outgoing. This seems to have cured the situation, for me at least.

I also flashed the tweak with the new boot.img last night and saw the worst overnight drain (35%) I've experienced since starting with these CM7s, so perhaps the delayed N13/RC2 is the result of some last minute changes - certainly hope so!

Guest The Soup Thief
So is the new Kernel any good. would anyone say go for it??

It didn't melt my phone

I'd say, if the phone locking after calls is causing you a headache (on this sunny sunday afternoon? unlikely) then give it a go - it's 5 minutes work

Otherwise wait for the (nearly) perfect Monday ROM :(

EDIT - thanks timsewell - wish I'd known about OnCallEnd a few days back! Would have saved much gnashing of teeth!

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
So is the new Kernel any good. would anyone say go for it??

When you're after improved battery life - it isn't, in my observation.

Guest Scoopading

I'm trying it right now. The first thing I've noticed is that the battery charging status reporting seems to have something wrong with it. The charging status plateaued at 98%. I reset the Battery stats and it did the same at 99%. So I reset the stats again and it allowed it to reach 100% finally (It took about 2 hours to go from 98% to 100% in all of that - NOT normal and the first time I've experienced such behaviour on any rom). However, when I switched the phone off, and left it to charge, it's now been charging on on USB for a good 4 hours even though it reckoned it was at 100% only moments earlier!

Hopefully my experience won't be typical, but it does seem like there's something wrong with the battery status reporting, and it's maybe possible that what CM7 thinks is 100% battery on this kernel is actually less, which won't help matters. I'm going to switch to mains charging for now and, when it finally thinks it's got a full charge, I'll see if there's any difference to the standby behaviour.. Just thought I'd mention this behaviour so others can be on the look out for it..

Guest chimas
It didn't melt my phone

I'd say, if the phone locking after calls is causing you a headache (on this sunny sunday afternoon? unlikely) then give it a go - it's 5 minutes work

Otherwise wait for the (nearly) perfect Monday ROM :(

EDIT - thanks timsewell - wish I'd known about OnCallEnd a few days back! Would have saved much gnashing of teeth!

Okay here is a kicker, I have never had a problem with ending calls. and I have used nightly 12 since it came out a couple of days ago. my only issue with the rom is that it takes way too much power to run it. And I could climb Mount Everest three times in the time it takes it to charge to a hundred. so will this kernel help??

Okay here is a kicker, I have never had a problem with ending calls. and I have used nightly 12 since it came out a couple of days ago. my only issue with the rom is that it takes way too much power to run it. And I could climb Mount Everest three times in the time it takes it to charge to a hundred. so will this kernel help??

Are you charging via main or USB ?

Anyway, for those with charging issues this thread might help.

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...od-for-an-hour/

Edited by alex1alex2alex3alex4

Guest Scoopading

Perhaps some of you have noticed some funky behaviour with CM7's USB handling? As in sometimes it won't mount the SDCard until you unplug/replug the USB cable etc? Well, the same is true for charging.

Basically, if you have the USB cable plugged in whilst the system boots it will often (always? haven't tested enough) detect the USB incorrectly. Not only does it prevent things like the SD Card from being mounted properly, it also messes up on its detection of AC Charging. I checked, after switching over to AC charging, and was informed I was charging from USB. It would only detect the AC charging properly if I plugged in the USB cable AFTER the system had booted. Then it was detected properly.

Now I've finally charged to 100% I'll check the actual drain whilst the phone sleeps, but it seems there might be more issues than was first apparent :(

Guest The Soup Thief

I don't believe it will

But we're obviously having slightly different issues with N12

Either way, if you install this, by the time you've charged it and waited to see how it discharges, RC2 will be available, which you'll be very likely to flash in any case

My suggestion? It's sunny out - go do a bit of gardening, maybe go for a walk, go to bed a bit early then get up 20 mins early in the morning and flash RC2

Personally, whenever I've reset my battery stats (partic following bump charging) it's made it hard to recharge to 100% with 98 or 96% being all I can get to at first. Settles down after a couple of charge discharge cycles

Perhaps some of you have noticed some funky behaviour with CM7's USB handling? As in sometimes it won't mount the SDCard until you unplug/replug the USB cable etc? Well, the same is true for charging.

I never tried charging via USB, but no, zero/nil/nought issues with SD card mounting so far.

Just wondering if certain batches of Blades are affected by this only ?

Guest chimas
Are you charging via main or USB ?

Anyway, for those with charging issues this thread might help.

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...od-for-an-hour/

I have never charged through the main since getting the phone, which wasn't too long ago. but I will try the steps in the link.

I don't believe it will

But we're obviously having slightly different issues with N12

Either way, if you install this, by the time you've charged it and waited to see how it discharges, RC2 will be available, which you'll be very likely to flash in any case

My suggestion? It's sunny out - go do a bit of gardening, maybe go for a walk, go to bed a bit early then get up 20 mins early in the morning and flash RC2

Personally, whenever I've reset my battery stats (partic following bump charging) it's made it hard to recharge to 100% with 98 or 96% being all I can get to at first. Settles down after a couple of charge discharge cycles

Yeah you are most likely right. I will just have to wait for the RC2 to come out. BTW I can flash the RC2 on top of the nightly. or will it keep loading for ever.

Guest IronDoc
Congratulations!

:( LMFAO, this just shows how great the blade community is. If it will be a he will you name him Blayd? Or if she's a girl Bladie? :( L@@K!

It says Bladie is the pet form! :)

@Scoopading: I also get that issue with USB sometimes and I think you may be right about booting with it connected.

Edited by IronDoc

BTW I can flash the RC2 on top of the nightly. or will it keep loading for ever.

I assume you can just update over the current nightly without a full wipe, after all it's from the same codebase.

Don't do a "factory reset", but it's always a good idea to wipe cache + dalvik cache.

And wipe battery stats to make possible improvements more obvious.

Guest ppa123

Basically, if you have the USB cable plugged in whilst the system boots it will often (always? haven't tested enough) detect the USB incorrectly. Not only does it prevent things like the SD Card from being mounted properly, it also messes up on its detection of AC Charging. I checked, after switching over to AC charging, and was informed I was charging from USB. It would only detect the AC charging properly if I plugged in the USB cable AFTER the system had booted. Then it was detected properly.

Now I've finally charged to 100% I'll check the actual drain whilst the phone sleeps, but it seems there might be more issues than was first apparent :(

Now as you say it, I've had similiar problems with charging and SDCard mounting, but never really bothered digging deeper in it.

Guest The Soup Thief
I assume you can just update over the current nightly without a full wipe, after all it's from the same codebase.

Don't do a "factory reset", but it's always a good idea to wipe cache + dalvik cache.

And wipe battery stats to make possible improvements more obvious.

I'll just flash over the top and let you know if I have problems

Best we all report back and then we can figure what works and what doesn't

I'll just flash over the top and let you know if I have problems

Best we all report back and then we can figure what works and what doesn't

I'll sure do, now back to F5 ... F5 ... F5 ... F5 ... on the download site :(

Guest blauwal26
Perhaps some of you have noticed some funky behaviour with CM7's USB handling?

Same here.

I really love CM7, some great features and all, but with that battery life it's almost unusable for me, unless I carry a charger with me 24/7. Sad. Still thanks for all the hard work, apart from that it's a great rom.

Guest The Soup Thief
I'm just wondering, is the RC2 actually coming today, or was it litterally just a rumour?

Think I heard it from you first - and I'd assumed it was a rumour then

Flib didn't mention having any clear idea on when it might surface when he last posted

Think I heard it from you first - and I'd assumed it was a rumour then

Flib didn't mention having any clear idea on when it might surface when he last posted

Nope, wasn't me. I thought it was Frankish or Flib. Ah well, Can't be bothered to trawl

Guest The Soup Thief
Nope, wasn't me. I thought it was Frankish or Flib. Ah well, Can't be bothered to trawl

As I say, I don't think it was Flib

Maybe Frankish was getting his due-dates jumbled up :(