Vega docking station

Guest Ste M

Guest mabier

Thanks for quick reply.

I have just phoned PC World/Currys and they said that docking station will be available but they do not know when. The guy could not tell me why it's been removed from the website as they plan to sell more. I have also emailed dixons and asked about availability. Will post reply as soon as they get back to me.

Cheers

Edited by mabier

Guest kingchillout

I bought a docking station for my unmodded Vega last week and have a question....

what are the three usb sockets for on the back, because as far as I can tell they do absolutely nothing at all !!!!

I assumed they would allow me to plug the usb cable that normally slots into the side of the vega into them, so that the vegas side connector didn't have to be used to transfer files from my PC, making it a lot more tidy. But they don't. I still have to use the usual method.

Basically the dock just acts as a charger and something to prop up the vega instead of it laying on it's back. For thirty quid, I expected a lot more !

Guest simonta

The Vega USB port is in slave mode unless you change it using the tool in mcr8. The ports on the dock are in host mode so will accept memory sticks, external drives etc. Plenty of threads on all of these topics already on the forum.

Cheers

• 4 months later...
Guest slatemate

I got my dock at PC World Birkenhead this afternoon and they also had at least one in the Sealand Estate at Chester. Dont think mine is working as it should though. Although it says on the base read the manual there was no manual so I dont know what should be happening. Using the Vega's power supply it all lights up when I dock the Vega but if I plug in a usb stick nothing much seems to happen. Can someone take me through what should be happening please. Mine is a stock Vega at 1.10. Thanks.

Guest Dave Marchant

Does anyone know if Usb powered speakers will work with the docking station?

Haven't tried speakers, but I have had the USB on the Dock charging my HTC Desire HD, so there is certainly power there, but only when the Vega is docked.

Guest slatemate

Hi Dave- As you appear to have a working dock can you tell me what should happen when you dock the Vega. On my first one a new folder appeared called something like Dock Settings and containing two applications to do with audio but they didn't work, just told me that they weren't docked (which they were!) and anywayit failed to mount the USB stick. I am now on my third replacement and this can read and write to a USB stick but still there is no software or means of setting up the dock or unmounting the USB stick. So the only way to unmount the stick is to fully power off the Vega while it is still docked, anything else causes it to freeze. That can't be right. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Incidentally, a note to anyone on the Wirral, the PC World stores at Birkenhead, Bromborough and Cheshire Oaks all have one dock each and its probably the faulty one I have taken back and exchanged!

Guest Dave Marchant

I have never seen anything relating to Dock Settings appear and I am not aware of ANY documentation for the Dock. Also, I am not aware of any setting up needed. The mounting of USB sticks is hit & miss and discussed throughout the forum as it is not peculiar to the dock, rather to how Linux treats mountable devices. Generally, the conclusion has been that you need to have the Vega totally powered down, connect the USB stick and then power up. Also power down before removing. I am not aware of any mount / unmount app, but that would certainly smooth things.

Guest slatemate

thanks for the prompt reply Dave. Sorry if I missed the forums about the USB situation, I do find it difficult navigating through Modaco only because it has grown so large. Anyway, looks as though I'll just have to live with things as they are.

I have never seen anything relating to Dock Settings appear and I am not aware of ANY documentation for the Dock. Also, I am not aware of any setting up needed. The mounting of USB sticks is hit & miss and discussed throughout the forum as it is not peculiar to the dock, rather to how Linux treats mountable devices. Generally, the conclusion has been that you need to have the Vega totally powered down, connect the USB stick and then power up. Also power down before removing. I am not aware of any mount / unmount app, but that would certainly smooth things.