i920 File Caching Settings [PATCH RELEASED!]

Guest xlightwaverx

Guest yieldsign2
K found this on a Microsoft Blog.

What about these registry keys?

Someone told me that changing the registry keys "CompactionPrio256" and "CompactionCritPrio256" fixes the problem. Unfortunately, that can't be correct. There are two things you need to know. First, in Windows CE, smaller numbers are higher priority. Compaction defaults to 255, which is the lowest possible priority. Making the number lower would increase the priority. That's the opposite of what you think you want to do.

More importantly, though, changing those registry keys doesn't do anything. It is the file system that loads and creates the registry. But the file system needs some information before the registry is loaded. So there is a very small bit of data (a "boot strap" registry) that is loaded before the user changeable registry is loaded. The real versions of these values are in that pre-registry. The ones you see are kind of like reflections of those real values. You can change them to your heart's content, but you're only changing the reflection. You're not changing the actual values the file system uses. There's no end user way to change the real values.

The good thing is we (chefs) can control what goes into that bootstrap registry (boot.rgu). Anything that is [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\*] is placebo if done manually. All other settings have a real and true effect.

X

This means that your patch has no effect? Or is it not the same registry keys they are talking about.

Guest xlightwaverx
This means that your patch has no effect? Or is it not the same registry keys they are talking about.

The registry keys that deal with "StorageManager" will have no effect, but all others will, like GlyphCache, BPP, Animation, etc. This thread may turn into a "mild" patch for i920 users, with a boot.rgu section for chefs to use.

The last two days I have been testing 64kb cache instead of my original 2mb, with a 20mb PP, and this phone is not liking it very much. Typical Sense lag that I remember even with such a high PP and high GlyphCache. I will try more tonight.

I am still trying to figure out the damn squishing issue with Sense and it has NOTHING to do with compression or non compressed manila packages, for they do the same thing. PLEASE ASSIST.

X

Guest amdzero
The registry keys that deal with "StorageManager" will have no effect, but all others will, like GlyphCache, BPP, Animation, etc. This thread may turn into a "mild" patch for i920 users, with a boot.rgu section for chefs to use.

The last two days I have been testing 64kb cache instead of my original 2mb, with a 20mb PP, and this phone is not liking it very much. Typical Sense lag that I remember even with such a high PP and high GlyphCache. I will try more tonight.

I am still trying to figure out the damn squishing issue with Sense and it has NOTHING to do with compression or non compressed manila packages, for they do the same thing. PLEASE ASSIST.

X

Can you list the packages you use? I'm using mostly LEO, but I have some oboe and huasan packages as well.

Guest xlightwaverx
Can you list the packages you use? I'm using mostly LEO, but I have some oboe and huasan packages as well.

Umm, latest HD2 release from TMOUS now, still same issue.

Originally all 1920.2525 releases. I think I am going to go back because I think its way faster than this HD2 version.

Didn't we solve this already AMD? I could have sworn you told me Chainfire made specific OpenGL patches for Manila or something... I thought it was figured out back when Steel posted SteelSense.

I am at WITS END! I can't even get an answer from the 8000 forum.

X

Guest amdzero
Umm, latest HD2 release from TMOUS now, still same issue.

Originally all 1920.2525 releases. I think I am going to go back because I think its way faster than this HD2 version.

Didn't we solve this already AMD? I could have sworn you told me Chainfire made specific OpenGL patches for Manila or something... I thought it was figured out back when Steel posted SteelSense.

I am at WITS END! I can't even get an answer from the 8000 forum.

X

We did fix it, and it is fixed in my sense roms. however this issue isn't entirely the opengl problem. There seems to be a few packages that still cause this issue (and none of them have images so CFC is out).