! Headphone Jack ! Problem - Omnia II i8000

Guest chris_dom

Hello guys,

I am running into a big problem with my omnia II :(

For the last 10 months my phone was thinking that some sort of headphone was inserted in the headphone jack, as a result the menu for selecting "what you inserted in the jack" was appearing twice a day and after some time it was disappearing without any problems.

Two months ago this notification was appearing all the time and this time every time it appears it responds as if a headset was inserted. This is because i can't hear any sound from the speaker or the loudspeaker and also the microphone doesn't work (i think this is because the phone tries to get the sound from the headset microphone instead from the phone microphone).

I tried to insert headphones in and out the jack many times, (i've read in other posts with people saying about that metal thing in the jack that is responsible to recognize when headphones are in or out). After many tries the phone returns normal and the sound is ok , but after moving the phone around, or put it in my pocket the problem starts again.

I took my phone to samsung centre and they had a look saying that probably is the headphone jack. They ordered the part and its been more than a month and told me their still waiting. :D

I've tried everything like cleaning the jack or inserting in and out headphones but NOTHING! I am DESPERATE .

Does anyone know a way to disable this recognition through some registry tweaks so the phone will not recognize headphones or headset.

Also do you know any website I can find any spare parts. [/size] :(

Thanks a lot ! I really appreciate your help!

Guest problematika
Hello guys,

For the last 10 months my phone was thinking that some sort of headphone was inserted in the headphone jack, as a result the menu for selecting "what you inserted in the jack" was appearing twice a day and after some time it was disappearing without any problems.

Two months ago this notification was appearing all the time and this time every time it appears it responds as if a headset was inserted. This is because i can't hear any sound from the speaker or the loudspeaker and also the microphone doesn't work (i think this is because the phone tries to get the sound from the headset microphone instead from the phone microphone).

I tried to insert headphones in and out the jack many times, (i've read in other posts with people saying about that metal thing in the jack that is responsible to recognize when headphones are in or out). After many tries the phone returns normal and the sound is ok , but after moving the phone around, or put it in my pocket the problem starts again.

I took my phone to samsung centre and they had a look saying that probably is the headphone jack. They ordered the part and its been more than a month and told me their still waiting. :D

I've tried everything like cleaning the jack or inserting in and out headphones but NOTHING! I am DESPERATE .

Does anyone know a way to disable this recognition through some registry tweaks so the phone will not recognize headphones or headset.

Also do you know any website I can find any spare parts. [/size] :D

This is a method what I using....put a headphones in your device, do a soft reset (with headphones plugged in), when device is boot up again unplug headphones (you must hear a sound notification that your's headphones are out), do a soft reset again (now without headphones), and that should work again. If not, repeat process again. It works for me! :(

Guest chris_dom
This is a method what I using....put a headphones in your device, do a soft reset (with headphones plugged in), when device is boot up again unplug headphones (you must hear a sound notification that your's headphones are out), do a soft reset again (now without headphones), and that should work again. If not, repeat process again. It works for me! :D

Hello problematika . Thanks a lot for your reply.

It is really annoying whats going on with the phone. I am going to try that and hopefully will work.

What I was wondering, if there is any way to disable completely the headphone jack so it won't re recognize anything

Guest problematika

Really dont have another idea...this method which i describe works fine for me. Sometimes I must did 3 times softreset (with and without headphones) to make it work's properly again. Why dont u try android on your device...its simply amazing! :(

Maybe you have problems with hardware...but really dont think so. Last thing that u can do is to flash a .mst ROM (samsung official)...latest samsung ROM is JJ1. So good luck! :D

Edited by problematika

Guest chris_dom
Really dont have another idea...this method which i describe works fine for me. Sometimes I must did 3 times softreset (with and without headphones) to make it work's properly again. Why dont u try android on your device...its simply amazing! :D

Maybe you have problems with hardware...but really dont think so. Last thing that u can do is to flash a .mst ROM (samsung official)...latest samsung ROM is JJ1. So good luck! :(

Thanks a lot for your tips! I am trying the softreset with and without headphones and works ok for a bit.. But after a while it starts again. I am feeling that maybe is the hardware.

I've tried an android (beta) release but it was a very long time ago (maybe a year) :(

I would love to use android on my device. Is there any recent android release that is good enough? (stable)

Thanks a lot! I will try the latest ROM (JJ1) as well and let u know if it fixed anything.

Cheers :D

Guest problematika
Thanks a lot for your tips! I am trying the softreset with and without headphones and works ok for a bit.. But after a while it starts again. I am feeling that maybe is the hardware.

I've tried an android (beta) release but it was a very long time ago (maybe a year) B)

I would love to use android on my device. Is there any recent android release that is good enough? (stable)

Thanks a lot! I will try the latest ROM (JJ1) as well and let u know if it fixed anything.

Cheers :D

Dude, are u from planet Earth?! B) I'm kiddin'.... :( I'm using android Beta2 on my omnia....and it is outstanding!!! :( just check these topic : http://www.modaco.com/content-page/322429/...2011/page/4320/ and http://www.modaco.com/category/490/i8000-o...rom-discussion/ Beta2 is much more stable, drivers are improved....nah...just look at this topics and u'll understand! :D And try flash .mst ROM...if it not help, then you have a problem with hardware part... B) Cheers!

Guest KarylFStein
Hello guys,

Also do you know any website I can find any spare parts. [/size] :(

I had this same problem and it kept getting worse until my phone was unusable. I fixed it myself by ordering and installing a new headphone jack. Details are in this post (including the site from which I ordered the part):

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-verizo...ith-headphones/

It took maybe 10 days between ordering and receiving the part. I don't know why a Samsung Center can't get them in...

Oh, and it's not the metal thing that detects if something's plugged in. There's a plastic switch inside the jack that detects if something is inserted. The replacement part I received is a different design internally, (the switch is on the top, it seems to auto-sense what's plugged in--no more pop-up menu, and is a tighter fit--although maybe just because it's new).

Edited by KarylFStein

• 2 months later...
Guest Ryvius
I had this same problem and it kept getting worse until my phone was unusable. I fixed it myself by ordering and installing a new headphone jack. Details are in this post (including the site from which I ordered the part):

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-verizo...ith-headphones/

It took maybe 10 days between ordering and receiving the part. I don't know why a Samsung Center can't get them in...

Oh, and it's not the metal thing that detects if something's plugged in. There's a plastic switch inside the jack that detects if something is inserted. The replacement part I received is a different design internally, (the switch is on the top, it seems to auto-sense what's plugged in--no more pop-up menu, and is a tighter fit--although maybe just because it's new).

I'm having a simular problem. I want to keep this phone and am willing to do some work- where did you order the parts?

my headphones in my jack are starting to cut in and out- the dreaded water sound. i've had this problem with past samsung adapters (they sounds like water completely) and now the acutal jack on this phone! it is a problem samsung needs to seriously address.

for now though what should I do? if I contact samsung, will they fix it? I don't have the bill yet I know I'm under warrenty... or should i fix it my self? I'd be willing to take the phone apart- hell, maybe if I put a new one in it will detect iphone like headphones with mics in them and actually let me USE the mic... that would be really nice.