gen1 to gen2 and gen2 to gen1, windows flashing only

Guest hecatae

Guest Fou-lu

anyway to do all this without a PC?

I don't have regular access to one and been flashing/download all via phone, so I will be stuck on GEN1 if PC is required.

Guest css771
in the steps i dont understand this step...

1. Install stock recovery (if you are currently running clockwork) with the included recovery restorer.

How do i do that, i cant see options in CW?. Does it mean recover to an earlier backup?

Thanks

Just download the package on the first post. It has a zip you can flash through clockworkmod to go back to stock recovery

Q.

Does this update alter the stored IMEI number on your phone?

No it doesn't but it's recommended to store the channel1.nvm file that you get after flashing

I have used partition mod earlier, and have something like 130Mt system partition. Does this have any effect for Gen1 - > Gen2 conversion? Just want to be sure, that I will not brick my blade if I do this conversion.

No it shouldn't affect going to gen2

Guest dadashi
That's the conclusion I've drawn, though Gen2 CM7 nightlies will change that

I'm gonna bide my time then upgrade at the weekend

I'm thinking more in line with another month or so, the mod scene is moving so fast there's no telling what's coming next.....a hybrid Gen :)

Guest Fou-lu
Thanks all done and dusted.

Fou-lu, i cant see how you can do all this without a pc sorry.

damn it, stuck on N36 for a long time then, no point to upgrade further until 7.0+, but without GEN2..

Guest css771

Dont know why, but the upgrade failed on an xp vm. So booted into win7 and upgraded using the custom partition files I posted previously. It went smoothly. Have Gen2 now. Installed CM7 Stable on it. Now to check if I get any better reception.

Edited by css771

Guest jijijoujou1

I upgraded from GEN 1 to Gen 2 then i installed CM7 , and my phone is stucking on green android logo !! i tried to wipe everything and reinstall it didn't worl , please help me

Guest Fou-lu
I upgraded from GEN 1 to Gen 2 then i installed CM7 , and my phone is stucking on green android logo !! i tried to wipe everything and reinstall it didn't worl , please help me

you need to use KK's, gen2 converter to run cm on it..

all info here:

www.android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-roms-rom-customisation/336423/how-to-run-cm7-on-a-gen2-phone/

put that file on SD card, install cm7 then install the converter that should fix it...

Edited by Fou-lu

Guest JobSup

Since the main reason to update to GEN2 for many of us here will be the newer CM7 builds, I'd really love to see a slightly different partition layout that will cause less problems. 128MB is not enough to run CM7 + gapps without problems. So far I always strip the unneeded themes and tts languages out of CM7 and only flash minimal gapps, but many people seem to run into the same problem (and complain here about market not working etc..)

Nobody will really miss the 12MB from data but it will be enough for the 'unstripped' CM7 and the most important gapps.

gen2_140mb_system_cm7
----------------------------------
/dev/block/mtdblock4 2.0M /cache
/dev/block/mtdblock5 140.0M /system
/dev/block/mtdblock6 298.9M /data[/codebox]

Would be great if hecatae could include that in the main package.

Thanks

Guest css771
Since the main reason to update to GEN2 for many of us here will be the newer CM7 builds, I'd really love to see a slightly different partition layout that will cause less problems. 128MB is not enough to run CM7 + gapps without problems. So far I always strip the unneeded themes and tts languages out of CM7 and only flash minimal gapps, but many people seem to run into the same problem (and complain here about market not working etc..)

Nobody will really miss the 12MB from data but it will be enough for the 'unstripped' CM7 and the most important gapps.

Would be great if hecatae could include that in the main package.

Thanks

I've already posted a slightly modified mod here to give 136 MB on /system and 302 MB on /data, with 2 MB /cache and 128 KB /oem partitions same as one of kk's originals.

Probably that will help.

Edited by css771

Guest tcpaulh
I've already posted a slightly modified mod here to give 136 MB on /system and 302 MB on /data, with 2 MB /cache and 128 KB /oem partitions same as one of kk's originals.

Probably that will help.

I'm already on cm7 gen2 128mb. Wonder what my best route to increasing system by a few meg is?

Edited by tcpaulh

Guest css771
I'm already on cm7 gen2 128mb. Wonder what my best route to increasing system by a few meg is?

The only way is to flash again, using a different set of files

Edited by css771

Guest tcpaulh
The only way is to flash again, using a different set of files

Of course. Was having a blonde moment. Will just stick your appsboot and partition_zte into files folder, overwriting existing files and reflash from windows. Backup first naturally. Thanks.

Guest punkmilitia
@punkmilitia: Thats normal, you can continue with your ROM installation.

Wow.

I cannot believe how much smoother Gen 2 & SS is compared to CM7.

I'm sticking to this for a few Weeks/Months.

Guest hecatae
Wow.

I cannot believe how much smoother Gen 2 & SS is compared to CM7.

I'm sticking to this for a few Weeks/Months.

yes it's almost like a different phone

Guest mrradmir

I propose to flash RA-recovery-CM instead of buggy CW (usb mounting doesnt work and partitioning in 3.0.2.4 is broken). Also DFM mode works for me if phone turned on with Vol- pressed even custom recovery is installed.

Edited by mrradmir

Guest Nick Rhodes
The software is just a Binary - it communicates with another Binary on the Devices Fastboot

Re-engineering something like that is close to impossible. [cue-music]

All it can be doing is sending or receiving data, if someone was prepared to capture that info (I don't run Windows sadly), may be able to work out how it works and what the data is.

Guest Tripov

Just upgraded my Blade (UK OSF - TFT) to gen2. It went smoothly and without any problems... :) Now restoring my apps and settings.

Edited by Tripov

Guest jijijoujou1

hi everyone , i have i big problems , after upgarding to GEN 2 i installed CM7 and the phone was stucking on the android green logo so mistankenly i formated the recovery , and now i don't have neither clockwork nor A rom installed , so i tried to install the clockwork by fastboot method and i couldn't , by trying adb shell method its say that "device not found " please help me i can't use my phone anymoreeeeee !!!!!!!!!!

Guest kallt_kaffe
hi everyone , i have i big problems , after upgarding to GEN 2 i installed CM7 and the phone was stucking on the android green logo so mistankenly i formated the recovery , and now i don't have neither clockwork nor A rom installed , so i tried to install the clockwork by fastboot method and i couldn't , by trying adb shell method its say that "device not found " please help me i can't use my phone anymoreeeeee !!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry but your phone is likely bricked.

I assume you installed CM7 (which is a Gen1 ROM) without installing the CM7 Gen2 converter afterwards?

That made your phone not being able to boot into android as the boot partition contains a Gen1 kernel and it will never boot on a Gen2 phone.

This in it self is not so bad as it can be resolved by either install the CM7 Gen2 converter or install a Gen2 compatible ROM.

However killing the recovery partition is bad when boot partition is also non working.

If you have either a working Clockwork on recovery partition OR a working stock recovery (shows FTM text instead of clockwork) then you can recover. Are you sure you didn't just restore an original Gen2 recovery partition? What happens if you power on with volume-down pressed?

As a last resort you could try holding both volume-up AND volume-down. This will give a black screen while the phone is actually on and there is a tool that can flash the phone (or so I've heard) in this mode but it was banned from this forum as it could do more than that (change IMEI). Perhaps if someone with this tool and the knowledge on how it is used reads this that person could send you a PM with details on how to recover. Or it might be worth a shoot to try the hacked flasher (first post in this thread) in this mode. I have not tried it, perhaps it can work in this mode too?

Edited by kallt_kaffe