"Download failed", phone bricked, any ideas?

Guest jtc42

Guest dibbles

Silly question but did you install the drivers first..? I ran gen2_136mb_system_no_oem_15mb_cache but I was wary as there was no MD5 that I was aware of to check the validity of it. Maybe I should have asked first, especially now, realising what the potential could have been if it went wrong and it had been a corrupt download.!

Mine seemed to hang for quite a while at 99% until eventually I got the download complete window pop up, that was a bit unnerving.

Edited by dibbles

Guest mELIANTE
ok that's the most interesting part.

which flasher did you try?

I'm a standard partitions user and I have had no issue upgrading to gen2.

That isn't it either, I was a 128MB Gen1 user, now I'm a 128MB Gen2 user :)

Guest hecatae
That isn't it either, I was a 128MB Gen1 user, now I'm a 128MB Gen2 user :)

so we are talking basic corrupt download destroying a phone?

Guest mELIANTE
so we are talking basic corrupt download destroying a phone?

I'm not one to ask but I would say bad luck... Maybe a buffer problem? If there is one^^

Guest Mushroom_Lord
one mistake and your phones bricked? SF is no longer noob friendly..

There is enough caution on the gen2 upgrade thread, I think.

As said above - I suppose it was probably a corrupt file issue.

Guest Coyote74
There is enough caution on the gen2 upgrade thread, I think.

As said above - I suppose it was probably a corrupt file issue.

Ok, but now, is it possible to have the MD5 of all the needed files? It's too easy to brick and without the MD5 of the files i haven't courage to mod my blade into a gen2.

Guest jtc42

Theyre sending me a new one tomorrow, but after this I dont know if I have the balls to try again. I cant send another one back immediately, that'll look too suspicious :/ Gen1 for me I guess (no doubt once CM7 is stable and all bugs fixed someone will do a Gen1 port, I can use SS till then)

Guest jtc42
I suspect many Gen1 users are holding off until there is an Idiot-proof guide, and all required files have MD5 verification.

Im holding off until then for sure, and like I said, I dont really consider myself a n00b to this at all, it was just really unlucky.

I haven't applied the update yet, so i'm not entirely familiar with all the details of the procedure.

However, the downloader executable suggests there could be a log, possibly at the location C:\Windows\sysdy\Logs\ActionLog*.txt

If you can locate this file, could you post it so we might be able to figure out what went wrong?

Guest jtc42
I haven't applied the update yet, so i'm not entirely familiar with all the details of the procedure.

However, the downloader executable suggests there could be a log, possibly at the location C:\Windows\sysdy\Logs\ActionLog*.txt

If you can locate this file, could you post it so we might be able to figure out what went wrong?

Unfortunately I have no such folder on my drive :)

Unfortunately I have no such folder on my drive :)

Ah, that's a shame. I wasn't sure the file would actually be created, as the code of the downloader is very messy. It seems based on an internal tool with many parts of it hidden/disabled.

I was hoping to find out if your phone might still be saved with TPT, but even if that would work, i think you'd still end up with an empty IMEI and an incomplete internal file structure. This could probably also be fixed, but as you will get a new one soon, i guess it's not worth the trouble.

Guest jamidodger1

I Nearly had a fail on my Acer A150, The Motherboard on these net books are dodgy, I used a usb port that's on a mini pcb connected to the motherboard (acer's weird ways) and I don't trust it, iPod Wont Sync via these, Phone sometimes cuts out on ADB ect.

What's happened in this post show's us now we need to be careful of what we do to our SF's :/ As Fou-lu said it's no longer easy come easy go.

jtc42 have you tried searching for that file?

Guest jtc42
I Nearly had a fail on my Acer A150, The Motherboard on these net books are dodgy, I used a usb port that's on a mini pcb connected to the motherboard (acer's weird ways) and I don't trust it, iPod Wont Sync via these, Phone sometimes cuts out on ADB ect.

What's happened in this post show's us now we need to be careful of what we do to our SF's :/ As Fou-lu said it's no longer easy come easy go.

jtc42 have you tried searching for that file?

Searched by entire computer, no such file found.

Guest jamidodger1

Ahh Okay, (yn) it'll turn up tomorrow, they told me it'd be next day but it was the day after in the end :) as "the courier ran out of time", You'll be fine with a TFT one :) but will it be GEN 2 Or GEN 1?

Guest jtc42
Ahh Okay, (yn) it'll turn up tomorrow, they told me it'd be next day but it was the day after in the end :) as "the courier ran out of time", You'll be fine with a TFT one :) but will it be GEN 2 Or GEN 1?

Probably Gen1, their replacement ones are refurbished fully working return devices, so theres even a chance it's OLED. Probably TFT though and almost certainly Gen1 (though I hope its 2 because there's no way in hell I'm trying that upgrade again until it's watertight)

Guest jamidodger1
Probably Gen1, their replacement ones are refurbished fully working return devices, so theres even a chance it's OLED. Probably TFT though and almost certainly Gen1 (though I hope its 2 because there's no way in hell I'm trying that upgrade again until it's watertight)

I got a replacement and got told it was a new one :) also they let me have it free after I smashed the screen by accident, most people get the response it's your fault, but for me they some reason gave me a new one...

Guest jtc42
I got a replacement and got told it was a new one :) also they let me have it free after I smashed the screen by accident, most people get the response it's your fault, but for me they some reason gave me a new one...

I mentioned the fact it had overheated before. I think they just wanted me out the shop and happy though because the overheating is a bigger issue.

Edited by jtc42

Guest jamidodger1
HAHA! I put emphasis on the fact it MEGA overheated a couple of days back. I think they just wanted me out the shop and happy because overheating is a big old issue that I could probably take legal action over. They were very nice about it after I mentioned it was hot enough it was difficult to hold :(

Ahhah I was unscrewing a harddisk and slipped :) and then it smashed and i was like oh sh*t and I called and called them and asked how much over and over and then they were like oh it's free so yeah :)

Edited by jamidodger1

Guest Fransis.co
HAHA! I put emphasis on the fact it MEGA overheated a couple of days back. I think they just wanted me out the shop and happy because overheating is a big old issue that I could probably take legal action over. They were very nice about it after I mentioned it was hot enough it was difficult to hold :)

Probably best not to post such obvious fraud.

It has the negative double effect of inspiring others to do so, and therefore, pushes up the cost for everyone.

Guest jtc42
Probably best not to post such obvious fraud.

It has the negative double effect of inspiring others to do so, and therefore, pushes up the cost for everyone.

The fact is it did overheat, I didnt lie to them at any point (I made sure not to) but they themselves interpreted it as they did.

But I see what you mean, Ill edit the post (if you can edit out the quote too thatd be good?) :)

Guest harmohn
Open device manager with your phone connected and look for ZTE Diagnostic interface COM port under "Ports".

If it does not, try this procedure:

Once you get into that mode, try flashing again.

And please report your results.

BALLS! ...this has just happened to me trying to go from GEN1 to GEN2.

MDCFan; I tried the above & can see ZTE Handset Diagnostic Interface(DFU) (COM3) listed in Device Manager (windows 7), though I'm not sure how to flash from here.

Anyone enlighten this dumb-ass please? :)