Froyo Beta Battery life (07/07/2011)

Guest Leeds

Guest Leeds

Hi guys, I've made this topic to help people that are having problems with the battery life when using Froyo Beta

Here you will be able to check the amount of battery life you might get when using any of these PHONE parts

To change the PHONE part of your phone you will have to flash it

You can find info about flashing here:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...g-rom-on-i8000/

There's also a post made by Rapid81 with an Youtube video guide (win7 32/64) here:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...-win7-32-64bit/

PHONE parts can be found here on our GSM ROM forums:

http://www.modaco.com/category/424/i8000-o...rom-discussion/

I personally use and recommend the latest XXJJ1 PHONE part

Results (Updated: 7th July 2011):*

XXIJ1: 20-48 hours (3G/data ON-OFF)

XXIJ2: 3+ hours (daily use without CPU Tuner, 3G/data ON)

XXIJ2: 9+ hours (daily use with CPU Tuner, 3G/data ON)

XXIL1: 35-75 hours (daily use with CPU Tuner)

XXIL2: 15-22+ hours (daily use with SetCPU, 3G/data ON)

XXJF1: ~12 hours

XXJJ1: 3-9 hours (heavy use)

XXJJ1: 25-80+ hours (sleep)

*Please remember that these values are only based on the comments posted here, we all know that the battery life depends on how you use your phone

so this values might not represent the exact battery life you would get with each PHONE part but they might give us an idea of wich part is best..

Also, as mentioned by our friends here on forum, programs such as CPU Tuner and SetCPU help to increase the battery life.

I don't know why SetCPU never worked for me (even after setting individual profiles) but CPU Tuner did an awesome job (thanks robbert4u)

My battery life went from ~3 hours to 9+ hours using CPU Tuner so I also recommend it.

Useful links:

CPU Tuner: https://market.android.com/details?id=ch.am...ndroid.cputuner

SetCPU: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.m...ng.overclocking

I would like to thank people who are sending battery results to help us out: (Let me know if I forgot someone!)

XXIJ1: alexovy, r14n

XXIL1: paranoiadk

XXIL2: Extremegmx

XXJF1: dabiz

XXJJ1: robbert4u, llaa51, knarfkee

Also, if anyone else feels like sharing what's your average battery life with any PHONE part, you're welcome

Thanks all

Edited by Leeds

Guest dabiz

I sttoped using the Android thing because the sleep of dead, but from my expirience it really has a lot to do. I started using my originally phone part (which I don't remember which version was) and the phone last for a very short time (around 4 or 5 hours), getting always 100% percent on battery usage in phone part (phone standby and network standby I think).

I updated to XXJF1 and it really makes a difference. In average I think I get around 12 hours with normal usage of the phone. Also the values of standby battery leakage were lower with this phone part, but it were always a bit high compared with a real android device(40 or 50%).

Guest Leeds

I see

That's really good to know!

Yesterday I've made one more test

After using some sms/wifi/gaming/talking/standby the phone battery last a little over 3 hours..

(2h45min) 15% battery left

(3h18min) Shutdown

So, until now:

XXIJ2: 3-4 hours

Thanks for sharing your experience dabiz

Let's hope more people can post their results

Guest Extremegmx

I am using I8000XXIL2 and I get around 36h. However this was the first boot in android so I have just installed programs, used some internet and minimal phone calls, sms etc...

Guest Leeds

Wew, 36 hours, that's a LOT!

I'll keep updating the first post with the results so I don't have to make a new post all the time :D

I am really looking forward for the latest PHONE part XXJJ1 result, let's hope someone can test for us

Thanks for sharing :D

Guest robbert4u

Hi,

my experience with XXJJ1.

PHONE+Wifi (active) ~ 3 hours

FLIGHTMODE(little usage) ~ 5 hours (80% battery left)

Device gets really warm while activating phone and wifi. Seems that the phone part is consuming the whole cpu power.

Guest superdupersianz
After reading a lot of contradictory posts where people have different experiences regarding to battery life on Android, I am really confused on how the PHONE part really affects the battery duration on our Omnia II..

I am currently using I8000LUTIJ2 (my original PHONE part, very old.. probably late 2009..)

along with the latest JJ1 MST and CSC parts (these two, I think, have nothing to do with Android anyway..)

With my current setup, if I just boot Android and do nothing with it, it will go from 100% to 0% battery in 3-4 hours..

I've already tryied everything related to the "time without signal" issue, but the battery always last about the same..

I was planning to update my I8000L PHONE part to the latest one (I8000XXJJ1) but I've read that updating it might not be a good idea (due to compatibility issues), especially if you intent to rollback to a older ROM or something else later.. (wich I most likely will..) :D

So I wanted to make sure if I update, it will make any difference :(

Anyway, it would be awesome if some of you guys could share wich PHONE part you use and what's the average battery life on your Froyo

I know that the battery life depends a lot on how you use your phone, but that might give us an idea of wich part is best :D

Thanks!

Here's mine..

PHONE: I8000LUTIJ2

Avg. Battery Life: 3-4 hours

I'll just keep updating this post with the results :o

XXIJ2: ~3 hours

XXIL2: ~36 hours

Do we need to flash the whole os again? or just flash the phone part?

Guest superdupersianz
Only flash the phone part. And remember to tick Preserve device's contents. =DD

So it will not change any files or app on the phone right?

Or do I need to backup all my stuff first?

Guest llaa51

Hmm, with JJ1 phone part and email checks every 20mins, here's battery life on sleep mode and on moderate-heavy usage( mostly internet browsing(not wifi) with music playing in background for abt 2-3hrs), here's my battery life:

sleep mode for 2hrs: 97% left (from 100%)

under moderate-heavy usage of 2-3hrs: 76% left (from 100% as well)

Pretty good I guess, especially during sleep mode, though under usage its only slightly better than IJ2 for me.

Edited by llaa51

Guest ashburn
So it will not change any files or app on the phone right?

Or do I need to backup all my stuff first?

you wont lose any of you files. =D, remember you have to tick it.

Guest robbert4u

No need to flash anything!!!

"CPU Tuner" did it. CPU speed stepping (266-800MHZ) and other options work now with JJ1 phone part. Internet connections (Wifi,3G) are disconnected during standby.

Battery temperature decreased from 59° to 24° celsius. Without data sync battery went from 80% to 79% during standby in ~ 2hrs . That's similar to WinMo.

CPU speed stepping should be managed by the kernel. But unfortunately it's not correctly implemented. Maybe it will be fixed in the next releases. In the meanwhile use an app to activate speed stepping (setcpu, cpu master or cpu tuner (my favorite and it's free)).

Another hint. Kill market app in the background. It consumes more ressources than whats up and facebook together. Close market app immediately after usage. This will extend your battery life significantly.

Guest Leeds

"CPU Tuner" did it. CPU speed stepping (266-800MHZ) and other options work now with JJ1 phone part. Internet connections (Wifi,3G) are disconnected during standby.

Battery temperature decreased from 59° to 24° celsius. Without data sync battery went from 80% to 79% during standby in ~ 2hrs . That's similar to WinMo.

CPU speed stepping should be managed by the kernel. But unfortunately it's not correctly implemented. Maybe it will be fixed in the next releases. In the meanwhile use an app to activate speed stepping (setcpu, cpu master or cpu tuner (my favorite and it's free)).

Another hint. Kill market app in the background. It consumes more ressources than whats up and facebook together. Close market app immediately after usage. This will extend your battery life significantly.

Well, PHONE part does seem to influence the battery life but it's too soon to tell for sure, we need more results

I am sure programs that control the clock speed also help to increase battery life

I did use SetCPU before (on Android 2.1) to try and see if my battery would last longer but that didn't work..

I'll try and see if it makes any difference on Froyo

Thanks for the tip!

Also thanks all for sharing your results :D

Edited by Leeds

Guest Leeds
Small advice. You need root access for cpu control apps.

Here is a script to get your devices rooted. http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=70136

Otherwise the apps are useless.

Yes indeed, that's a good advice!

Too bad that in my case this wasn't the reason why SetCPU wasn't working.. :o

I always make sure my Android is rooted before doing anything haha

Hey robbert, I couldn't test the CPU Tuner you've talked about because I can't get my market to work :D

It's really hard to find the apk to download from the internet, could you share it? It's free right?

Thanks in advance!

:D

Edited by Leeds

Guest hirophang

wow!!thanks a lot man!!

i use the cpu tuner that u recommended,

and my battery life get longer A LOT!!!!

from my last change of battery, it work for more than 15hour already,

i made a few call, listen to music about 2 hour, reading ebook, playing some game,

now still have 20percent of battery, which i cant made it before using CPU TUNER~!cheers~~!

ps*before use CPU Tuner, my battery life only a few hours if listen to music & play games..

Guest robbert4u

I don't have the .apk file ... but that is not the best solution for your android

take the "Fix By mihai_mihai" here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...amp;postcount=2

Put the files at root in "My Storage". I did it in WinMo and then booted to Android. Very simple. Registration and access to Market worked immediately.

Then try following tools to optimize RAM and battery life:

- CPU Tuner

- Advanced Task Kill (autokill active when suspending) - available RAM 50-60 MB

- DataSwitch app with a shortcut on the homescreen ((de)activates mobile data access manually)

- I replaced ADW with launcher pro in 3D drawer style(don't know why but its a lot faster than 2D)

Deactivating mobile data access before standby extends battery life and reduces temperature to 21 (with data access ~27) degrees celsius. This should be done by Android itself....

untill its fixed you can try my workaround. Lower temperature extends your battery life cycle and makes your phone longer available.

So you will have more fun with your phone using Markets.

I reached now 40 hours and 23% left. According to my experience the last % will drop faster maybe 3-4hrs. but that's ok. Close to WinMo with Sense UI.

Launcher Pro UI is really comfortable and fast while "whats up" and facebook are running in the background. There are a lot of beautiful themes for download.

NO crashes so far!

Android is prepared for daily usage! Hope that the mentioned issues will be solved in the next releases. No further issues for me so far.

Next i will be testing 3d capabilities and adobe flash support but that's a different story.

Have fun with testing!