Android on Omnia II viable replacement for WinMo?

Guest AndroAsc

Guest AndroAsc

Hi everyone! I'm thinking of moving to Android, but don't really want to get a new phone since my Omnia II is what I would still consider as having a decent spec. Has Android ROM development reached a point where it becomes a practical alternative to WinMo? By that I mean generally stable, most features working and a decent speed/responsiveness and battery life.

Are there any issues that one should be aware of if interested in going the whole way to Android?

Guest shadowangel
Hi everyone! I'm thinking of moving to Android, but don't really want to get a new phone since my Omnia II is what I would still consider as having a decent spec. Has Android ROM development reached a point where it becomes a practical alternative to WinMo? By that I mean generally stable, most features working and a decent speed/responsiveness and battery life.

Are there any issues that one should be aware of if interested in going the whole way to Android?

I coudn't connect it via USB to the computer (I've seen some people using some driver but coudn't do it myself - and didn't try much either) and the battery dies out pretty quickly.

Guest paranoiadk
I coudn't connect it via USB to the computer (I've seen some people using some driver but coudn't do it myself - and didn't try much either) and the battery dies out pretty quickly.

You could connect it wirelessly over adb. And pretty quickly is very vague. With some very minor tweaking (i.e. installing CPU managing software) it can last a day, easy. And pretty much everything works, except for bluetooth. I have it on 90% of the time. I use WinMo only when I know that I'm going to have lots of talktime or when I need GPS... And when I take pictures, the camera is still a little shabby on android.

I'd go for android any day. If for nothing else, for all the options it opens up on your phone.

Just my 2 cents...

EDIT: It does however help if you have some minimal knowledge of linux. And I do mean minimal - no programming or such. Simple accessing and managing partitions is enough. There are guides and FAQs for everything else.

Edited by paranoiadk

Guest Nelson Neoh

To my situation, the current development point is already fits most of what ppl would do for daily usage:

Phone calls, sms, web, email, calendar and minor entertainment like book reading & simple gaming.

The battery lasting is still one of the problem, but like who said, with install of battery management software, this can overcome.

If you have meet "minimum linux knowledge" to follow simple steps to perform partition and installation, you still can experience it without needed to remove your winmo. Though it is yet not a stage we can flash the phone. Why not give a shot?

• 3 months later...