Monte Carlo/Skate 800 Mhz

Guest ZTE_SeanJacko

Guest Atomix86
Can someone explain why the Huawei U8800 is better than ZTE Skate?

Its an arm7 cpu so supports flash (albeit poorly), however ir has a small screen, plasticky low quality build and wi-fi issues, not to mention the skate isnt out yet and no regular user here has used one, so its completely (mostly fanboy) opinions atm.

Guest miali

The original Orange San Francisco redefined the meaning of a budget Android phone: WVGA OLED screen, 512 MB RAM, fully hackable and a processor that matched the mid-range models of the time. With UK pricing, it is still a very hard to beat this phone on value, especially if you put the latest 2.3.4 ROM on it. Considering this its sort of natural to wonder why it's still not cost effective to bring out a phone based on an ARM v7 processor at a 'similar' price point. It will make it possible to enjoy everything the latest Android OS has to offer. Flash or no flash, there is no denying that ARMv6 cripples the full Android experience. Come on ZTE, bring out the real successor to Blade!

Guest sej7278

Pfft, I'd get a defy over the ideos any day.

the problem with the defy is that its a motorola and they're back-pedalling on their promise to unlock the bootloader, so its pretty damned hard to put new cyanogenmod builds on and you have to pay to get it sim-unlocked.

not exactly a developer-friendly device like the blade (or ideos) which you can root, unlock and rom with ease for free - which i assume you will be able to with the skate too.

Guest ThermalDroid

the problem with the defy is that its a motorola and they're back-pedalling on their promise to unlock the bootloader, so its pretty damned hard to put new cyanogenmod builds on and you have to pay to get it sim-unlocked.

not exactly a developer-friendly device like the blade (or ideos) which you can root, unlock and rom with ease for free - which i assume you will be able to with the skate too.

Build Quality over Developers for me sorry. Expansys has the HTC Pro 7 for the same price as the Defy so its a tough choice atm.

Guest sej7278

Build Quality over Developers for me sorry. Expansys has the HTC Pro 7 for the same price as the Defy so its a tough choice atm.

i'd rather buy an iphone (or a skate!) than go windoze lol.

Guest ThermalDroid

i'd rather buy an iphone (or a skate!) than go windoze lol.

I'm sorry it came to this but from my experience WP7 is far more stable and this was a comparison between Desire HD and HD7 so not to disimilar.

Guest ZTE_SeanJacko

The original Orange San Francisco redefined the meaning of a budget Android phone: WVGA OLED screen, 512 MB RAM, fully hackable and a processor that matched the mid-range models of the time. With UK pricing, it is still a very hard to beat this phone on value, especially if you put the latest 2.3.4 ROM on it. Considering this its sort of natural to wonder why it's still not cost effective to bring out a phone based on an ARM v7 processor at a 'similar' price point. It will make it possible to enjoy everything the latest Android OS has to offer. Flash or no flash, there is no denying that ARMv6 cripples the full Android experience. Come on ZTE, bring out the real successor to Blade!

ZTE is developing devices using all major current and future processors, so we expect there will be a ZTE device using the 1GHz processor at some stage (but, before you ask, I don't know what that stage will be). :)

Lyle (standing in for SeanJacko this week)

Guest Atomix86

ZTE is developing devices using all major current and future processors, so we expect there will be a ZTE device using the 1GHz processor at some stage (but, before you ask, I don't know what that stage will be).

A bit late though isn't it really, what with dual core 1.4 ghz cpus out and quad cores planned.

Guest ronc2000

ZTE is developing devices using all major current and future processors, so we expect there will be a ZTE device using the 1GHz processor at some stage (but, before you ask, I don't know what that stage will be). :)

Handsets released (and soon to be released) so far do not show such commitment, I am afraid to say.

Guest tillaz

hi sean/lyle

can you confirm the information stated by the zte Engineer in this video

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=P8fWSXNy7l8 at 2.18

about the zte skate saying it will use msm 8255 chip armv7

thanks

Edited by tillaz

Guest ZTE_SeanJacko

hi sean/lyle

can you confirm the information stated by the zte Engineer in this video

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=P8fWSXNy7l8 at 2.18

about the zte skate saying it will use msm 8255 chip armv7

thanks

Hi Tillaz

That link doesn't seem to be working. Taken down already?

Will ask about this though. Our understanding at the moment is that this is not the case - but things can move along so worth checking out.

cheers

Lyle

Guest Modifoid

Hi Tillaz

Will ask about this though. Our understanding at the moment is that this is not the case - but things can move along so worth checking out.

cheers

Lyle

Hi Sean/Lyle,

Here is the correct link, the Engineer states that the Skate has a MSM8255 processor just after 2:20 on the video

Thanks

Edited by Modifoid

Guest sej7278

Hi Sean/Lyle,

Here is the correct link, the Engineer states that the Skate has a MSM8255 processor just after 2:20 on the video

Thanks

yup he definitely says arm7 8255 and "supports all google apps" - well without arm7 its not going to support google talk video......

Guest Simon O

Hi Tillaz

cheers

Lyle

I sent Sean an email about this then realised he's on holiday! The video was taken in June and the chap reporting the Skate specs is a senior engineer at ZTE. He probably knows what he's on about! I hope :)

Guest k0zmic

The video was taken in June and the chap reporting the Skate specs is a senior engineer at ZTE. He probably knows what he's on about! I hope :)

So do I :D.

Guest k0zmic

Either they know there is two versions or there just as confused as us.

Wondering that as well.

Maybe whoever the PR guys e.g. Sean_Jacko contact at ZTE for info have provided incorrect info?

Guest sej7278

now the question goes back to if it is available from zte as a 1ghz arm7 for £229 or from orange as 800mhz arm6 for £150, is anyone going to buy either - one's underspecced and the other is overpriced.

if its 1ghz arm7 for £150 i'll have me a couple! :D

Guest Atomix86
now the question goes back to if it is available from zte as a 1ghz arm7 for £229 or from orange as 800mhz arm6 for £150, is anyone going to buy either - one's underspecced and the other is overpriced.

if its 1ghz arm7 for £150 i'll have me a couple!

Its only arm6, the 1ghz version hasn't even been confirmed to exist by zte yet.