How to determine the best PAGEPOOL size for a certain consumer behavior?

Guest segelfreak

Guest segelfreak

Hello to all of you.

I have read a lot about setting the Pagepool Size. I know the microsoft commentar on this and the differnet speed tests done by variuos users. Most of them not showing a big increase in speed, but a lot of people reporting a "smoother" UI. But finally all of this seems to be still a mystery for me,.... and of course for others too. There is no final conclusion to me how large the pagepool should be. My question is: How can I determine the optimal page pool size for my usage, without try & error? As I said, the benchmarks did not show a clear improvement, and UI smoothness is difficult to evaluate between the different pagepool settings.

As I understand, the pagepool area is only used for program code and NOT for program data. But the question is: Is this restricted to "user program" code or does also the system processes use this RAM area? If only the user programs are using the pagepool, can I then determin the "best pagepool" size for my usage by starting the taskmanager and summing up the mean RAM usage of all my user programs usally running during using my phone?

So for example if Samsung Taskmanager reports:

Opera Mobile 1,34 MB

Active Sync 0,43 MB

moTweets 3,89 MB

====================

Summary: 5,66 MB

Would then 6/7MB be the best pagepool size for this case? Or is this method inaccurate? Are there any experiences?

Currently I have the pagepool at 4MB. I use Windows Standard CHome with a light ROM. With these settings I habe 97-98 MB of available RAM. So my options would be:

98MB RAM / 4 MB PP

94MB RAM / 8 MB PP

90MB RAM / 12 MB PP

86MB RAM / 16 MB PP

Does Pagepool speed up also the programs or just the User Interface? And should I try 16MB? Or do you think this would be too high and therefore only wasting RAM?

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by segelfreak

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deadcore

I've been try for 6mb ,8mb,12mb 16mb ,20mb PP,

i think choosing a PP is depend to functionally of what you use for, like : if you like to open big file, or big application like a sense weather you must choose a 16mb or 20mb PP..

Guest segelfreak

i think choosing a PP is depend to functionally of what you use for, like : if you like to open big file, or big application like a sense weather you must choose a 16mb or 20mb PP..

What exactly is a "big application"? Is this rating based on the RAM consumed by the application? For example: Opera Mobile, it is only displayed with < 2MB RAM in the process explorer. But the data stored in RAM easily eats up 20-40MB of RAM, depending on the websites loaded. So it would be interesting to know, based on what numbers one can find an optimal setting for the pagepool.

• 1 month later...