[STOPPED] CyanogenMod Beta2 Omnia 2 (updated: 04.05.2012)

Guest voyteckst

Guest thanh_nha0706

After using for nearly 2 days, here are my initial thoughts about beta 2 (some have been mentioned before). Hope you find the information useful.

Positives:

1. Much more stable. Far less SOD and freezes.

--> For me, there is no SOD any more, freeze once :)

2. Battery life is impressive compared to first beta , making it usable as a daily device!

--> Yep, me too

3. No overheating

--> Yep

4. Internet is available over 3G and wifi!

--> Yep

5. Can access SD card after rebooting a few times

--> Nope

6. GPS locks and works well

--> Yep

7. Can install from computer over adb

--> Yep

8. Video Camera works well

--> Yep

HONESTLY AMAZING. Now my omnia can live without fearing replacement in the near future.

Negatives (listed on priority):

1. Phone dies after a while. Appears to be linked with 3G. Can receive data, but cannot make, receive calls or sms's. Once switch to 2G, problem is solved. Very annoying! (My 3G operates on 2100Mhz bandwidth - is that relevant?)

--> I have not met this error

2. During calls, proximity sensor turns off screen and it does not come back on. Have to end call to get screen working. (Havent checked out Call light/ Keepscreen, but they may fix this)

--> Yep

3. Wifi is buggy. Works first time after boot, and even after sleep. But never after it is switched off (wifi sleep policy is set to never, and screen time out is 2 minutes). Solution?

--> Wifi works fine. Hope more improvements on wifi

4. No bluetooth ( i know..ur working on it :))

--> Really want it

5. Graphic drivers still very slow (can anything be done?)

--> Yep, normal use is ok but gaming is such... :)

6. Memory (RAM) is low that probably led to me experiencing freezes that required battery removal. Initially RAM around 60mb, then after opening a few apps comes down to 20mb. Was Tempted to kill apps manually. But after switching to Launcher pro the problem seems to have subsided a bit.

--> Yep

7. Charging never reaches 100% for me. Goes into middle 90s and then falls back to 84% soon after unplugging. Solution?

--> Yep

8. Root access to apps is hit and miss. Sometimes it hangs, on blank screen and nothing happens. After multiple attempts i get root access for some apps (still havent managed for titanium backup).

9. Sometimes the rotation sensor locks to landscape mode (for a while) and cant get out. Annoying so disabled auto rotation.

--> It works fine for me

10. Would like to see hotspot feature.

--> Yep

11. Camera hardware button does not start camera app, but can take pictures and start video

--> Maybe you're an exception. In my situation, camera button can start camera app but it can not take or record.

12. After reboot (freeze or SOD), clock is sometimes wrong. Have to adjust manually.

--> Me too

13. That horrible pink loading screen..bleh! lol :)

--> Yep

14. No automatic install.

--> Don't really need

Great job developers. Its only Beta2 and already come so far! If you fix the phone problem, wifi, and bluetooth i think you'd be close to a stable release. Its hard enough porting android and also deal with people's problems. Kudos to all! If i wasnt a poor university student i would donate to your efforts. Hope to see updates in the near future.

Those are some opinions. Hope it'll support you guys

Edited by thanh_nha0706

Guest ruaxauxi

Does anyone know how to download from market? I already install the newest version of market but it still not working, just show "Starting download".

Thank you very much.

Guest shoarmabakpao

1 big improvement: It doesn't matter how many times I reboot into android, the android won't get bugged! That's awesome because windows mobile offers SRS WOW HD sound (impressive sound quality!) while on android I got crap sound on my headsets :(

and @ voyteckst What phone part do you use on windows mobile? Because you got many things working the right way and I just don't =S

1. I'm using it daily and didn't have such behavior. Maybe it's really what You write.

2. Right, it's a bug seen after release. After call just swipe through prximity sensor and screen will be back.

3. Right, sleep bug (probably same cause as for black screen for call). Strange that Wifi works for some and for some not (wifi network settings?).

4. Yes.

5. Maybe, but it's not a priority.

6. Really? It should kill apps with less priority.

7. It should.

8. There is su binary, so it should work.

9. Strange. It should work just fine (but I have disabled it on main screen).

10. I too.

11. ?

12. To be honest I never had such behavior.

13. In future it'll be replaced by logo. We know it's awful ;-)

14. Yes. Working on this.

And last but not least: this beta is generally system which I'm using daily since two weeks or more, only with cleaned cache, private data, private apps. It should work just fine. I never had a freeze or SOD on it. But some apps from Market are really buggy and nasty (ie. take too much RAM, have errors and so on...).

Those are some opinions. Hope it support you guys

yeah i think #1 problem is just a conflict between my network operator and the phone modem on this android ROM. The camera button can take videos, but neither start the camera app nor take photos. Weird! The sensor problem has been replicated with a few others, different to mine, but still not working properly. i really dont know why. hmmm. And system freeze when app asks for root access is also weird, considering it only occurs sometimes. (Titanium backup says it requires root and busybox. Do i have to install busybox separately?) But all that doesn't really matter. I just have to figure out how to get wifi working consistently...it may be due to the WPA2 connection. Am trying solutions others found, including static IP etc. Thanks for the help.

Edited by AoSra1n

I've written down some notes about the errors I've encountered...

I had no problems with installation, pink screen (it's very stylish, very unique, by the way :D), loading time... Anyway, beta 2 is on a ext4 partition on my storage. Phone part JJ1

List of bugs ;)

1. I can't change the network. When I try to manually find available providers an error shows up after a while.

2. Accelerometer doesn't work properly. When I ran beta2 for the first time, screen was locked in a landscape mode, so I turned off the automatic orientation. Later I've checked it once again.

3. I tried to install some apps which tried to save themselves on SD card, but there was an error each time.

4. Proximity sensor locks the screen in "turn off' state.

5. During a call, volume adjustement works imprecisely - the voice is either very loud or very quiet. Once I was trying to make it quieter it went completely dead as the connection went dead 8|

6. When I turn on the camera > change to video > back to photos > sometimes it freezes. Now I can't turn the camera app at all. (BTW is it possible to change the photo resolution?)

7. There's no automatic adjustment of screen's brightness... but as far as I know, there's nothing to do about at the moment ;)

8. "Calibrator" app doesn't work - I don't know whether it should, but it doesn't ;P

9. "Storage" folder is empty.

Edited by Marmach

Guest harrypotter222

if you use mmcblk1p2 partition that means you destroyed your winmo MyStorage

because the default partitions look like

mmcblk1p5 = MyStorage

mmcblk1p6 = 512MB hidden partition

when you want to use MyStorage for android you must reduce the mmcblk1p5 partition size by the size of new ext4 size,

then create a new partition on the free space, this will be mmcblk1p7, and format it to ext4

There are some people who overwrites (formats) the mmcblk1p6 to ext4 (I do not suggest this)

I suggest everybody to use SD instead of MyStorage and you wont destroy your MyStorage

bsbsbs , what brand and class of is your sdcard? Just wondering.

Though I have beta1 running well on my storage, I want to try beta2 on sdcard first.

I have kingston 8gb class 6, I wonder if class 10 will make a big difference...

Guest alabama20

Could you tell me how to fix Wifi problem? I can not connect to internet, it doesn't work on my phone (i also try to set static IP address or turn the phone on/off several times.)

:(

I had the same problem, but for me the static IP solved the problem

Guest ASMARTTECHIE

thanks to all dev's again!

btw, no automatic installer...( ...

is there "any" way that this can be installed using just windows and not linux? ..

automated installer was easy to install.. but have got no idea how to go about the manual install (

Thnxx!!

Guest marisaleh

I followed step5 autoinstaller from first page. Installation completed successfully.

the problem is when i try to make a call it goes dialling and suddenly call ended.

Please has anybody experienced this and what do you think it is guys.

Guest atimaral

I've written down some notes about the errors I've encountered...

I had no problems with installation, pink screen (it's very stylish, very unique, by the way :D), loading time... Anyway, beta 2 is on a ext4 partition on my storage. Phone part JJ1

List of bugs ;)

1. I can't change the network. When I try to manually find available providers an error shows up after a while.

2. Accelerometer doesn't work properly. When I ran beta2 for the first time, screen was locked in a landscape mode, so I turned off the automatic orientation. Later I've checked it once again.

3. I tried to install some apps which tried to save themselves on SD card, but there was an error each time.

4. Proximity sensor locks the screen in "turn off' state.

5. During a call, volume adjustement works imprecisely - the voice is either very loud or very quiet. Once I was trying to make it quieter it went completely dead as the connection went dead 8|

6. When I turn on the camera > change to video > back to photos > sometimes it freezes. Now I can't turn the camera app at all. (BTW is it possible to change the photo resolution?)

7. There's no automatic adjustment of screen's brightness... but as far as I know, there's nothing to do about at the moment ;)

8. "Calibrator" app doesn't work - I don't know whether it should, but it doesn't ;P

9. "Storage" folder is empty.

8. Calibrator - use this, install and overwrite the original Calibrator app! That's work for me perfect.

Calibrator.zip

Guest calolobo

Question: someone have a normal Phone Function (calls), in 2g 1900 Frequence?

I don't have mobile network in 1900 Mhz but works on 850Mhz from other company. Then i have a functional froyo beta 2 but without calls.

Guest Stefan8000

Here are some images:

IMG_0071resized.JPG

IMG_0070resized.JPG

You can download the Market installer here (This file I take it from my phone, thus hope it will work)

Instuctions for installing Market 3.1.3

1. The first step is to download Android Market 3.1.3 APK from link in the post before and save it on your PC.
  2. Once done, connect your phone to the computer, mount SD Card or SD Ext and copy the downloaded APK to SD Card root.
  3. After you are done with copying the app to SD Card root, download Astro File Manager or a File Manager of your choice from Market.
  4. Now launch the file manager app and install the APK from your SD Card following onscreen instructions.

Guest HawkTalon

hi, been android-ing my omnia 2 since eclair beta 2. this release is definitely better. less freezes and no more sod(although the sod problem in beta 1 can be solved using Antutu CPU Master and set the min clock to 133MHz. heat and battery life problem by setting the max clock to 400MHz). things are generally more responsive and the gps doesnt get on my nerves anymore lol..

k, problems with this release that i've found out is:

1. when the phone is in sleep mode and a call comes in, the phone rings but the screen remains off.. so there's no way of answering the call. the only way to wake the phone up is hitting the "end call" button which wakes it up but unfortunately it also ends the call for real.

2. the battery never charges to full. well, it did when i charged it the first time after i installed beta 2, but after that it never did even though i charged it overnight(which is bout 7 hours or more).

3. some apps, especially Advanced Task Killer, makes the phone freeze and black out. screen would appear after a few seconds but with the message saying the app is not responsive and i have the choice of force close or wait. wait usually works and the app resumes working.

4. graphics is abit glitchy... same as beta 1 but i dont think there is a solution for the time bring since they're the same driver.. angry birds rio ran fine though lol

5. oh, n there's no option to apply live wallpaper. i could install it, but the option to apply live wallpaper is not there, same as what happened in beta 1. in beta 1 the option appeared after the live wallpaper fix(at xda-developers page which is bundled with google map live wallpaper).

now i've been reading what other were saying(all 32 pages of it haha), and i found some problems that they're facing didnt happened to me. wifi works fine and my camera works fine. i didnt get stuck at pink screen, not even once. nevertheless, thanks to the development team, you guys saved my omnia 2.

My phone: Samsung Omnia 2 i8000 8GB

Installation method: using Kubuntu. copied the files from the beta 2 zip folder into root of My Storage and unpacked ext4.tar.gz(using the command line sudo tar zxvf ext4.tar.gz -C yourandroidpartitiondirectory) into Android partition(ext4, primary partition, mmcblk1p2) in My Storage. also copied o2beta from beta 1 into the root of My Storage just to be safe. ran haret from root of My Storage. pink screen never lasted more than 30 secs as voyteckst has mentioned and viola, success.

Edited by HawkTalon

Guest ErcanPolat

İ think i found a solution for pink screen. İ faced this problem this morning. Before install i removed my sd card for safety. İ installed froyo to my storage and pink screen issue appeared. After few tries i shut down phone and i decided to continue using wm. İ inserted sd card again and restarted. After one hour i tried to run haret. And voila. İam writing this entry from my froyo omnia :)

I noticed that on the official update was posted on september 18 with a grade of "Already it's rooted."

Has anyone passed this update and got root access and run programs that require these privileges as SetCPU?

Guest shoarmabakpao

Button Savior (requires SU permission) sometimes tends to freeze up. My home button doesn't work (also doesn't work in windows mobile) so I can't get out of it and am forced to reboot :(

8. Calibrator - use this, install and overwrite the original Calibrator app! That's work for me perfect.

This new calibrator runs, but it does absolutely nothing to calibrate the screen. After several attempts, my bottom left corner is still way off.

Guest Pazuzu666

Hi.

After attempting to install Android all day, I finally managed. Runs really smoothly, especially compared to WinMo. I am loving it. However, can someone please tell me how to get rid of the wifi problem? And if the answer is static ip, could someone please explain to me how to set up a static ip? Thanks :-)

And does anyone know if there is a taskmanager like there was in WinMo, where you can switch between open tasks?

Edited by Pazuzu666

Friends, I have a strange problem in this update of 9.18, presumably as root:

Install everything normally, but is on the boot screen of Android infinitely ... lock, looks like it will boot and start again soon in a row but not open Android.

Only after I log in to the Android Linux the command "sudo chmod -R 777 / media / disk" that supposedly unlocks access to all files, but doing so when I start I do not have root privileges ...

What is happening? :blink:

Edited by Thor2

After using for nearly 2 days, here are my initial thoughts about beta 2 (some have been mentioned before). Hope you find the information useful.

Positives:

1. Much more stable. Far less SOD and freezes.

2. Battery life is impressive compared to first beta , making it usable as a daily device!

3. No overheating

4. Internet is available over 3G and wifi!

5. Can access SD card after rebooting a few times

6. GPS locks and works well

7. Can install from computer over adb

8. Video Camera works well

HONESTLY AMAZING. Now my omnia can live without fearing replacement in the near future.

Negatives (listed on priority):

1. Phone dies after a while. Appears to be linked with 3G. Can receive data, but cannot make, receive calls or sms's. Once switch to 2G, problem is solved. Very annoying! (My 3G operates on 2100Mhz bandwidth - is that relevant?)

2. During calls, proximity sensor turns off screen and it does not come back on. Have to end call to get screen working. (Havent checked out Call light/ Keepscreen, but they may fix this)

3. Wifi is buggy. Works first time after boot, and even after sleep. But never after it is switched off (wifi sleep policy is set to never, and screen time out is 2 minutes). Solution?

4. No bluetooth ( i know..ur working on it :))

5. Graphic drivers still very slow (can anything be done?)

6. Memory (RAM) is low that probably led to me experiencing freezes that required battery removal. Initially RAM around 60mb, then after opening a few apps comes down to 20mb. Was Tempted to kill apps manually. But after switching to Launcher pro the problem seems to have subsided a bit.

7. Charging never reaches 100% for me. Goes into middle 90s and then falls back to 84% soon after unplugging. Solution?

8. Root access to apps is hit and miss. Sometimes it hangs, on blank screen and nothing happens. After multiple attempts i get root access for some apps (still havent managed for titanium backup).

9. Sometimes the rotation sensor locks to landscape mode (for a while) and cant get out. Annoying so disabled auto rotation.

10. Would like to see hotspot feature.

11. Camera hardware button does not start camera app, but can take pictures and start video

12. After reboot (freeze or SOD), clock is sometimes wrong. Have to adjust manually.

13. That horrible pink loading screen..bleh! lol :)

14. No automatic install.

Great job developers. Its only Beta2 and already come so far! If you fix the phone problem, wifi, and bluetooth i think you'd be close to a stable release. Its hard enough porting android and also deal with people's problems. Kudos to all! If i wasnt a poor university student i would donate to your efforts. Hope to see updates in the near future.

11.my camera button cant start the camera app, and it freeze when i press it

and another question, it still go to sleep mode when i charge with the keep wake up switch open

Edited by andylau

Here are some images:

IMG_0071resized.JPG

IMG_0070resized.JPG

You can download the Market installer here (This file I take it from my phone, thus hope it will work)

i cant open the link in my country, but i will try to find it using google, thanks for your reply

Guest tony.wang

Thanks to all dev's ! Improved greatly

1."when the phone is in sleep mode and a call comes in, the phone rings but the screen remains off.. so there's no way of answering the call. the only way to wake the phone up is hitting the "end call" button which wakes it up but unfortunately it also ends the call for real." I am also.

2.In my storage couldnot disply the Chinese With "? "Substitute.

How to solve these?

Thanks to all dev's ! Improved greatly

1."when the phone is in sleep mode and a call comes in, the phone rings but the screen remains off.. so there's no way of answering the call. the only way to wake the phone up is hitting the "end call" button which wakes it up but unfortunately it also ends the call for real." I am also.

2.In my storage couldnot disply the Chinese With "? "Substitute.

How to solve these?

1.mine is ok but when the call end it is a little hard to wake up,did you enable the auto rorate?

2.add the line in init.rc "iocharset=utf8" after "mount vfat /dev/block/mmclk1p5 / storage" ,and dont forget the space between in