How to Build a ROM

Guest Markiv

Guest sambartle

Even if you want to build something that isn't Cyanogen that's a great place to start.

If you can grab the latest Cyanogen sources and follow the tutorials for how to build those into a working Blade ROM you are 60% of the way there to building your own ROM based on whatever you like.

There's only a limited amount you can do if you need to ask for a tutorial though.. if you want to get down to the hardcore Kernel modifications you need to know at the least a 'ninja' level of C.. no one can write that in a tutorial.

Grab yourself a copy of the C book (http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Language-2nd-Brian-Kernighan/dp/0131103628/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317729362&sr=8-1) and start there.. then get some books on Linux kernel development.. once you have mastered both of those.. you will find the minor trivialities of assembling a ROM a much easier prospect.

Guest DVDeus

.. once you have mastered both of those.. you will find the minor trivialities of assembling a ROM a much easier prospect.

True, true. People maybe see it too easy.. On the low level, there is always some hard programming, and almost always this is C. I am only familiar with the basics of C language, as I am more in web stuff and script languages, but I can assure you, that there won't be an easy way to do it. Unless you wanna play only with "facade", then there is no easy way.

It would be easier to start learning programming android applications, learning curve would be better;)

It's just up to you, how much time do you have, and especially how much time do you want to spend.

Guest Markiv

True, true. People maybe see it too easy.. On the low level, there is always some hard programming, and almost always this is C. I am only familiar with the basics of C language, as I am more in web stuff and script languages, but I can assure you, that there won't be an easy way to do it. Unless you wanna play only with "facade", then there is no easy way.

It would be easier to start learning programming android applications, learning curve would be better;)

It's just up to you, how much time do you have, and especially how much time do you want to spend.

Thanks DVDeus, already am parallely looking into app development with eclipse.. so i hope am somewhere on the right path.

As of now i do not want to start with hardcore linux kernel modification with C, would like to atleast know how to create a proper ROM in my blade by modifying the available ones. For eg : editing framework and be able to mix and match features of available ones. Some tips here would be of great help.

Guest Markiv

Even if you want to build something that isn't Cyanogen that's a great place to start.

If you can grab the latest Cyanogen sources and follow the tutorials for how to build those into a working Blade ROM you are 60% of the way there to building your own ROM based on whatever you like.

There's only a limited amount you can do if you need to ask for a tutorial though.. if you want to get down to the hardcore Kernel modifications you need to know at the least a 'ninja' level of C.. no one can write that in a tutorial.

Grab yourself a copy of the C book (http://www.amazon.co...17729362&sr=8-1) and start there.. then get some books on Linux kernel development.. once you have mastered both of those.. you will find the minor trivialities of assembling a ROM a much easier prospect.

Thanks... am already going thru the cyanogen route now... http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Main_Page takes me straight to all required information. great help.

am familiar wiht C but Linux kernel development would be way over my league. want to start with modifying available ROMs and as replied to DVDues post - would want to start with tearing apart and assembling ROMs... some help here would be really appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest unrandomsam

Hi all,

Kindly mention whether going through dsixda's kitchen is a good way to learn about ROM development?

Thanks

dsixda's kitchen is fairly useful for doing mod's to (Official) roms

If you are using CM7 then you are better off using the source (removing what you don't want / changing stuff) e.g vendor/cyanogen/products/*.mk or inside device/zte/blade

Taking patches from CM7 (That you want) putting them into Codeaura (gingerbread_house branch) and then patching those libs into a stock blade rom seems to work fairly well.

Building a device tree for Codeaura that boots is probably a fairly useful excersise.

I just feel nobody here would even like to point out where and how to learn. very sad that this is what happens in modaco.

Hey!!! this link will help you and others who want learn building roms for android--

Do tell me if it is useful???

• 3 weeks later...

This link is definitely a great place get the basics right.....

awesome link

Hey!!! this link will help you and others who want learn building roms for android--

Do tell me if it is useful???