[ICS] [CM9] [4.0.4] ColdFusionX for the ZTE Skate [ROM] [UPDATED - 28/06]

Guest tilal6991

Guest creedence

It is not necessary. TPT does not sd ext.

But you'll need it later. For me it was so. For me, the internal memory was not enough.

Edited by creedence

Guest Infuckingcredible

@tilal, PLEASE answer me to this question:

is the ICS MIUI rom getting the 15/05 update? because i have to flash a new rom and wanted to know if it is going to be ready in a week for example? thanks in advance! :)

Guest Skate Away

It is not necessary. TPT does not sd ext.

But you'll need it later. For me it was so. For me, the internal memory was not enough.

I'm on CM7 and out of memory all the time (no ext), I've no idea if ICS will be better or worse.

Can I create a partition on the SD card without losing the data that is already on the card ?

Once I've created the Ext how do I use it ?

Many thanks..

Downloads are going well.

:)

Guest creedence

Unfortunately, everything is deleted. All the data from sd card to copy to PC.

Create sdext in clockwork (under advanced,partition)

approximately: 500 MB sdext would be enough.

Guest creedence

@tilal, PLEASE answer me to this question:

is the ICS MIUI rom getting the 15/05 update? because i have to flash a new rom and wanted to know if it is going to be ready in a week for example? thanks in advance! :)

It is currently secure.

We must wait patiently.

Tilal has done so much for us. He deserves a little break

Guest razzmataz1478

@creedance Using mini tool to create an sd-ext partition doesn't delete everything on the SD card.....are you sure if you create a partition through clockwork mod that it deletes everything?

Guest Skate Away

Unfortunately, everything is deleted. All the data from sd card to copy to PC.

Create sdext in clockwork (under advanced,partition)

approximately: 500 MB sdext would be enough.

Ok, I've probably missed something obvious, but if I use an Ext partition, then what is the point of the TPT ?

Aren't the two accomplishing the same end ?

Guest razzmataz1478

Ok, I've probably missed something obvious, but if I use an Ext partition, then what is the point of the TPT ?

Aren't the two accomplishing the same end ?

Nooo.

TPT repartitions the whole internal memory....the aim to give you internal memory....say if you have a small SD card that you can't create an ext partition on. Internal memory is a lot quicker than using an SD card.

An ext partition is a separate partition on the SD card that tricks your phone into thinking that this partition is in fact part of the internal memory.

Can you continue this discussion on a new thread please

Edited by razzmataz1478

Guest Skate Away

Nooo.

TPT repartitions the whole internal memory....the aim to give you internal memory....say if you have a small SD card that you can't create an ext partition on. Internal memory is a lot quicker than using an SD card.

An ext partition is a separate partition on the SD card that tricks your phone into thinking that this partition is in fact part of the internal memory.

Can you continue this discussion on a new thread please

Cheers for the info.

Are you saying it's better to TPT than to use an Ext ?

This isn't a separate discussion, I'm trying to install this ROM as we speak :)

Surely whether to TPT before installing it is directly related to the ROM (and size of the ROM) itself ?

Not being awkward :)

Guest e.miron

@creedance Using mini tool to create an sd-ext partition doesn't delete everything on the SD card.....are you sure if you create a partition through clockwork mod that it deletes everything?

Unfortunately yes, I have found out the hard way, losing everything on SD card, including nandroid backup, titanium backup, all of it. It is painful :)

Now I have always a copy of the latest nandroid/titanium on my PC.

Guest Skate Away

Now I have always a copy of the latest nandroid/titanium on my PC.

I've just done nandroid and titanium and am about to TPT (waiting for ICS & Gapps to download).

Other than nandroid and titanium do you know of anything I should copy from the internal memory before proceeding ?

TIA :)

Guest trueno2k
Cheers for the info.

Are you saying it's better to TPT than to use an Ext ?

This isn't a separate discussion, I'm trying to install this ROM as we speak :)

Surely whether to TPT before installing it is directly related to the ROM (and size of the ROM) itself ?

Not being awkward :)

I haven't been for a few days I still see squabbles & quibbles!... There are loads of info on TPT on here and on XDA forum to understand what TPT can do for you, but if you must know! In short a TPT is a repartition of your ZTE devices internal memory storage to maximise each internal partition so no space is wasted for the stock / custom rom you want on your device...

SDext partitions are used to extend the data partitions on your device so that you can install more apps without the need to manage it, and yeah there are several places where you learn about this as well...

All you need is Google search, Modaco search, XDA search, and a good search method, oh and determination as it will take time to learn new things and to understand them...

OH, and don't learn the hard way like I did and stop asking for etas, requesting for one or the other, or you'll just get your head bitten off or worse be completely ignored!

2pence done :P

Edited by trueno2k

Guest Skate Away

I haven't been for a few days I still see squabbles & quibbles!... There are loads of info on TPT on here and on XDA forum to understand what TPT can do for you, but if you must know! In short a TPT is a repartition of your ZTE devices internal memory storage to maximise each internal partition so no space is wasted for the stock / custom rom you want on your device...

SDext partitions are used to extend the data partitions on your device so that you can install more apps without the need to manage it, and yeah there are several places where you learn about this as well...

All you need is Google search, Modaco search, XDA search, and a good search method, oh and determination as it will take time to learn new things and to understand them...

OH, and don't learn the hard way like I did and stop asking for etas, requesting for one or the other, or you'll just get your head bitten off or worse be completely ignored!

2pence done :P

Hi, thanks for the heads up ;)

As far as TPT goes, I've read loads on it but still haven't been able to find - anywhere - what the stock partition sizes are, which is why I eventually asked here - does anyone know ?

I've been googling everything and have asked questions just to clarify, unfortunately the more information there is, the harder it is to find accurate information. For example it took over an hour to find out the info I needed to do a nandroid backup, where I could have just asked - so it isn't fair to assume that everyone is just asking random questions and not putting any effort in.

"and stop asking for etas" - I think you have maybe confused me with someone else - I've never asked for an ETA for anything !!

"requesting for one or the other" - again, I don't think that applies to me, but not completely sure as I can't work out what you mean ??

Hopefully I'll get ICS up and running soon :)

It seems more difficult than CM7 was...

Guest Skate Away

To be on the safe side, copy all content of sd card on pc. You don't need anything from internal memory.

Would this work ?

What if I just put that card to one side and used a spare empty card to install ICS and Gapps from ?

Then swapped back to the card I'm currently using ?

Will a Ti backup taken from CM7 even work with a fresh CM9 ??

Guest trueno2k
Hi, thanks for the heads up ;)

As far as TPT goes, I've read loads on it but still haven't been able to find - anywhere - what the stock partition sizes are, which is why I eventually asked here - does anyone know ?

I've been googling everything and have asked questions just to clarify, unfortunately the more information there is, the harder it is to find accurate information. For example it took over an hour to find out the info I needed to do a nandroid backup, where I could have just asked - so it isn't fair to assume that everyone is just asking random questions and not putting any effort in.

"and stop asking for etas" - I think you have maybe confused me with someone else - I've never asked for an ETA for anything !!

"requesting for one or the other" - again, I don't think that applies to me, but not completely sure as I can't work out what you mean ??

Hopefully I'll get ICS up and running soon :)

It seems more difficult than CM7 was...

Sorry, I ranted on a bit too much, wasn't meaning to say them stuff to you personally, just thought I add that rant in as well, sorry if this offended you!...

An hour of research is nothing compared to my 2days of researching each stuff one by one... I've spent months learning and understanding android stuff, so you gotta understand where I'm coming from!... Just gotta be diligent and keep up the research, it all pays off in the end!...

Guest Skate Away

Sorry, I ranted on a bit too much, wasn't meaning to say them stuff to you personally, just thought I add that rant in as well, sorry if this offended you!...

An hour of research is nothing compared to my 2days of researching each stuff one by one... I've spent months learning and understanding android stuff, so you gotta understand where I'm coming from!... Just gotta be diligent and keep up the research, it all pays off in the end!...

No worries :)

Just sometimes it's a PITA looking for basic info for hours when there are people looking at the forum that know the answer and could clear it up in seconds.

Also, knowing what TPT is (fairly obvious, anyway) and what an Ext partition is (again not rocket science) doesn't mean that it's possible to work out the best combination for a particular ROM - people that have tried it and gained real world results might have a different (and better) idea.

I wasn't saying that an hour or so on nandroid was a long time - just that it was time wasted - it seems plenty of other people are trying to download 'nandroid backup' from market or googling 'nandroid download' - as well as asking questions on forums about it - even so, with all that activity I only found the answer by chance and by slogging through (nearly unrelated) threads on multiple forums.

The point is, if people get slated or ignored for asking questions - then what are the forums actually for ?

:)

ps. does anyone know what the oem partition sizes are ?

Guest trueno2k
Would this work ?

What if I just put that card to one side and used a spare empty card to install ICS and Gapps from ?

Then swapped back to the card I'm currently using ?

Will a Ti backup taken from CM7 even work with a fresh CM9 ??

I would suggest only to use data restores as the OS structure of CM9 is not compatible with CM7 TB backups when try to restore the apps and data, I think someone mentioned that the app and data restores corrupts the CM9 OS making it unstable to use... I just restore the data TB backups after installing the apps manually or from Play Store...

Yes, using a different microsd for tpts and rom flashes helps keep the longevity of your main mircosd as each time you transfer large file sizes to the microsd it reduces the lifespan of the microsd memory cells... Its what I've been doing lately... Just remember if you use CWM to partition your main microsd to backup you cards content... I'll try and find a link that will guide you to creating ext4 partitions if memory serves me right, it reduces data corruption and whatnot...

Guest hugobosslives

Seems a little faster ;)

Have you mirrored Gapps too ?

indeed I have. I just never made the link public as i assumed everyone had a copy that they just kept on their sdcard.

here's end of April gapps http://www.mediafire.com/?l7a9kbislo9x601

disclaimer: i do not own these apps. they are property of google (as these are technically not open source). Link is provided as a mirror for convenience

Guest Skate Away

I would suggest only to use data restores as the OS structure of CM9 is not compatible with CM7 TB backups when try to restore the apps and data, I think someone mentioned that the app and data restores corrupts the CM9 OS making it unstable to use... I just restore the data TB backups after installing the apps manually or from Play Store...

Yes, using a different microsd for tpts and rom flashes helps keep the longevity of your main mircosd as each time you transfer large file sizes to the microsd it reduces the lifespan of the microsd memory cells... Its what I've been doing lately... Just remember if you use CWM to partition your main microsd to backup you cards content... I'll try and find a link that will guide you to creating ext4 partitions if memory serves me right, it reduces data corruption and whatnot...

Many thanks !!

Very, helpful, you've probably just saved me from buggering it up !!

For anyone slating people for asking questions - I'm very glad I asked about Ti backup compatibility between CM7 and CM9 !!! :D

One more, when I TPT will I lose CWM ?

TIA & thanks everyone for the help so far...

Edited by Skate Away

Guest e.miron

One more, when I TPT will I lose CWM ?

No. it will install a version 4.014 or so of CWM recovery

Edited by e.miron