ICS AOSP user discussion

Guest the_crevis

good question ayziaa. I think cache size does make a difference. reason I say, that is doing a benchmark, I got 1299 points at, 691mhz. I then downloaded a SD cache increasing app, set the cache to 2048 and re ran or and got around 950 points.

I know benchmarks don mean much but it was a large drop.

The SD is slow, that's why the benchmark drops, it's testing the speed of something saved to the cache.

Btw, it seams stagefright is broken again, like it was in the early 2.3-ROMs, which results in high (and wrong) benchmarks.

Like already mentioned the cache is only needed for downloading apps from the market.

@wrtease: yeah, maps and the gallery were working before hw-acceleration was added.

Edited by FelixL

Since you mention partition layouts, I assume you mean the cache partition? That is used purely as temporary storage for downloads by the Android market and isn't a cache used for speeding anything up.

Ho ok, there are so many cachesbiggrin.gif.

Telephony and data work on Update16. The problem are the timezones which are broken, the telephony-part wants to set them and gets killed. Timezone-data is ignored in Update16, so it works for everyone on every network.

Guest wesleyjah

Telephony and data work on Update16. The problem are the timezones which are broken, the telephony-part wants to set them and gets killed. Timezone-data is ignored in Update16, so it works for everyone on every network.

Telephony only works partly for some users, here you can follow the issues about ics4blade http://code.google.com/p/ics4blade/issues/list

Guest liamdunn

Quick question is their a way the devs would be able to put back the option of "retry send" in the mms.apk as that option seems to have disappeared since I upgraded to gingerbread and I know its not in ICS either unless I'm missing something, its only a small thing but its a big help cos with giffgaff having problems it takes at least 3 tries to send a text these days and it means copying and pasting the text all the time, well that's when my phone decides to copy the right text and I end up sending the wrong one to someone

And no before any of you suggest I don't wanna use any crap like handcent or whatever its called I'm quite happy with the stock SMS client

Cheers guys

Edited by liamdunn

Guest jonas.lindberg

YouTube doesn't work for me, not the app, nor the website, same for everyone else? Headset is a no go aswell, it doesn't show up in the status bar though when I unplug it, the music is paused, so it seems to somewhat know it's plugged in anyway?

Just wanted to check if these problems are common or if it's my flash that's bad. Running u15 on stock partition.

Guest the_crevis

YouTube doesn't work for me, not the app, nor the website, same for everyone else? Headset is a no go aswell, it doesn't show up in the status bar though when I unplug it, the music is paused, so it seems to somewhat know it's plugged in anyway?

Just wanted to check if these problems are common or if it's my flash that's bad. Running u15 on stock partition.

These problems yes, are common to everyone, please read the first post of this thread, and you'll see a list of current problems/issues that have not been fixed yet.

Looks like the chinese have released their own ICS build http://www.fengbao.com/zte_rom/zte_v880_rom/rom_92771.html Google translated this;

ROM description:

1 This version 4.0ROM compiled based on source code! (Source under nearly 4 hours)

2 residues, WIFI Internet connection black screen problem!

3.GPS positioning, Bluetooth transmission problems.

4 failures and other problems on the flight mode, Beijing bounce instability (for a 7:00 to 12:01 would be 8:00)

5 can not repair the dial key to call the problem!

6 to optimize the kernel compatibility, common software can be installed up!

7 Optimization of the APP directory APK

someone tryed it? is it better then our build?

yes i just did

it looks fast but its horrible .first it have that red thick line around the screen as we had for honeycomb and many many things are in chinese and if u change language. i test it just no more than 5 min and going back to cm7 now :)

if u have another question then ask :D

edit: ah better than our build no its not ;) but it look faster than our build and i guess it is faster.

Edited by jeddy1

Guest Davidoff59

Im pretty sure the red line is a development setting and can be switched off. Im pretty sure it can be on Tommi13B rom anyway. Something about doing that when the screen refreshes or something along those lines. I might give it a whirl tomorrow and report back

Guest t0mm13b

Im pretty sure the red line is a development setting and can be switched off. Im pretty sure it can be on Tommi13B rom anyway. Something about doing that when the screen refreshes or something along those lines. I might give it a whirl tomorrow and report back

Don't think its on my rom, its actually a debugging thing somewhere for developers, a way of telling that the android app is doing some serious intensive work on the main thread of the app instead of putting it on the background thread which is a bad design btw.

A way of hinting the developer to say "HEY, Y U NOT USE A BACKGROUND THREAD AND DO YOUR SERIOUS INTENSIVE WORK ON THE BACKGROUND THREAD INSTEAD"... its a way of enforcing devs to take the load of the main thread which is very akin to the rule used on windows GUI development - do the intensive stuff on a thread and not hog up the main thread which is for redrawing and taking input etc. Unfortunately that rule can be broken quite easily...

But I did see it somewhere where it can be commented out to prevent that from flashing alright... (Yes sir, I take that as a hint m'kay... ;))

Guest Davidoff59

Im sure its in your rom, under development settings, so you can put a tick beside it to enable it. Just like you can enable the mouse pointer button, i think its on that same menu area. Pretty sure man, as I spent quite a bit of time on release 16, but i may have lost the plot.

will check out your latest release anyway and see if its there.

Mentioning it wasnt a dig by the way, i was just trying to explain what I thought it was. no hint was intended

Im sure its in your rom, under development settings, so you can put a tick beside it to enable it. Just like you can enable the mouse pointer button, i think its on that same menu area. Pretty sure man, as I spent quite a bit of time on release 16, but i may have lost the plot.

will check out your latest release anyway and see if its there.

Mentioning it wasnt a dig by the way, i was just trying to explain what I thought it was. no hint was intended

how sure are u about that ?

ok then install tomm13B TICK THAT BOX and then show us !!! that is not something what people like so why they should include it in a rom ???

if u can do that in tomm13B rom then congratulations ! i dont know what to say then .

Guest t0mm13b

how sure are u about that ?

ok then install tomm13B TICK THAT BOX and then show us !!! that is not something what people like so why they should include it in a rom ???

if u can do that in tomm13B rom then congratulations ! i dont know what to say then .

Hummm its there in the code originally untouched part of the google's AOSP source.

In other words, its there by default.

Guest t0mm13b

Its 'Strict Mode' enabled by default, if you look in Settings > Developer options, 'User Interface', tap on 'Strict Mode', then un-tap it, the red flashing should disappear... I would think...

I have a strange problem... With the new build I have sound only with telephony... No music, no ringtones, nothing but telephony. And with it after a few secounds it switches to the loudspeaker.

The strict mode can be disabled from dev tools.

Edit:

The phone can't boot when plugged to usb... Seems like this problem is not with the rom, so never mind...

Edited by shezar

Guest Davidoff59

I didn't want it to blow up into a stupid argument when I was only trying to explain to someoxe thqt asked what I thought it was. there were no digs intended and I explained that.

saying that, the red lines are in the rom

that was put up last night. there was about 12 of them covering the entire screen after boot up. they were also picture framing the screen at points. its a build in progress and I have never asked for anything to be put into or taken out. its is tommi's build for himself to learn rom building from source. nothing more nothing less and i take nothing whatsoever away from his achievement so far in any way shape or form.

I never said anything about not liking it, or asking for its removal jeddy1, I responded to a remark about it and said that I thought it could be removed with a tick on developer settings as can be seen on the previous page. if you had of flashed the roms as i did, you would have seen it.

I got error on first attempt at flashing. could not mount e drive or something..second attempt worked.

telephony was force closing on me so could not confirm sound although there was slight hiss, from speaker before fcing.

windows and screen animations worked perfectly from .05 to 10x though with both enabled. no issues whatsoever with it for me.

I didn't want it to blow up into a stupid argument when I was only trying to explain to someoxe thqt asked what I thought it was. there were no digs intended and I explained that.

saying that, the red lines are in the rom

that was put up last night. there was about 12 of them covering the entire screen after boot up. they were also picture framing the screen at points. its a build in progress and I have never asked for anything to be put into or taken out. its is tommi's build for himself to learn rom building from source. nothing more nothing less and i take nothing whatsoever away from his achievement so far in any way shape or form.

I never said anything about not liking it, or asking for its removal jeddy1, I responded to a remark about it and said that I thought it could be removed with a tick on developer settings as can be seen on the previous page. if you had of flashed the roms as i did, you would have seen it.

I got error on first attempt at flashing. could not mount e drive or something..second attempt worked.

telephony was force closing on me so could not confirm sound although there was slight hiss, from speaker before fcing.

windows and screen animations worked perfectly from .05 to 10x though with both enabled. no issues whatsoever with it for me.

yes but you was saying about previous builds . i flashed U15 and U16 and it didnt had those !!!

this new build have them but i wasnt talking about this . anyway

Guest t0mm13b

yes but you was saying about previous builds . i flashed U15 and U16 and it didnt had those !!!

this new build have them but i wasnt talking about this . anyway

Those red flashing lines are Strict Mode which cannot be turned off! Its Android 4 feature.

The difference with update16 is its built in userdebug, mine is eng hence it shows, I would think.... no can do about that! Simple really :D