New B888 ROM from Huawei [Download Link Inside]

Guest KasioPC

Guest FrownBreaker

Definately better than the stock rom. Was that DTS toggle switch under settings/ sound on the B884 and 886 roms?

Yes for 886

Guest dragpyre

If this update makes the system partition larger in preparation for an ICS update then this is a very good thing. ICS takes up a lot more room than Gingerbread does.

I wouldn't be surprised if any upcoming ICS custom roms require people to have used the B888 update to resize the partitions. It has happened before on other Huawei devices.

B888 is still bigger than B885, and doesn't have the Vodafone stuff, so even though its "demo" or "unofficial," its still proven to be a lot faster and responsive than the Vodafone stock.

If what you say about partitions is true, then we're ahead now, and I can flash ICS onto it in future without having to continually upgrade from version to version.

Unless a new B88* ROM comes out, or Huawei officially release B886 or B888 officially, I'll stick with what I have. From what I can tell, this ROM is not compromised in any way.

Thanks. I selected the option in Titanium Root (Free version) to backup apps and other bits it ran for a while and said completed. 121 apps backed up.

I just used AllBackup that was built into the ROM by Huawei. Worked a treat :) All apps, SMS messages, contacts, data etc. backed up fine.

With B888, I've found the touch more precise, the phone is smoother, its using less RAM (I normally have about ~250 free according to Go Launcher EX and ES Task Manager after I do a clear).

As you saw on the other page, my benchmark tests shows that the performance of the phone in the tests appear to be a bit higher (bar 1). If Huawei keep going in the direction they are, their ICS ROM will be fantastic, and they could see their names up there with Samsung, HTC and Sony. :)

Guest Davidoff59

The backup app is a new thing. Could this have something to do with the changed partitions, that the backups are stored in a secure area and not just on the SD card?

Guest dbaseii

Damn. I have low volume again after flashing b888. Heres whats happend

I had stock vodafone rom.

Backed up using cwm

Flashed b886. Volume loud.

Restored stock from cwm. Volume still loud.

Flashed b888. Volume back to low unless I use fm radio through speaker.

Whats gone wrong?

Guest Frankish

Just took the plunge and installed B888, then started making attempts at downgrading for fun. I managed to restore my CWM backup of B886 and the phone says it is B886 but it still fails when installing any update files. Looks like it changes/sets something that's out of the scope of /system /data or /cust...so not sure where to look!

Guest Davidoff59

Would it be possible to take that part which changes the partition size and add it to B886 then change the sizes back to stock? B888 doesn't appear to add much so that way people could still revert back to the stock rom if needed?

Guest Sebastian404

Just took the plunge and installed B888, then started making attempts at downgrading for fun. I managed to restore my CWM backup of B886 and the phone says it is B886 but it still fails when installing any update files. Looks like it changes/sets something that's out of the scope of /system /data or /cust...so not sure where to look!

When I ran the 884 updater and then restored my backup, I ended up with AMSS & OEMSBL at 884, and everything else at 882.

I guess we are still hoping for someone to work out the format for the new update files and produce an extraction tool..

Looking at the 885 update:

assert(file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "Huawei/U8815/hwu8815:2.3.6/HuaweiU8815C02B882/C02B882:user/ota-rel-keys,release-keys" ||
file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "Huawei/U8815/hwu8815:2.3.6/HuaweiU8815C02B885/C02B885:user/ota-rel-keys,release-keys");
[/CODE]

so it's only going to work on 882 and 885 devices (I assume incase you want to reflash it)

The other things I noticed is that the XML that tells you what the patch does is availialbe in English & Russian, so I'm going to assume the non-voda branded roms must be russian in origin.

Guest Davidoff59

Any idea what language is on that site that the roms came from? Should that be a cause for concern being Russian in origin as the phone is made in China?

Edited by Davidoff59

Guest Frankish

When I ran the 884 updater and then restored my backup, I ended up with AMSS & OEMSBL at 884, and everything else at 882.

I guess we are still hoping for someone to work out the format for the new update files and produce an extraction tool..

Looking at the 885 update:

assert(file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "Huawei/U8815/hwu8815:2.3.6/HuaweiU8815C02B882/C02B882:user/ota-rel-keys,release-keys" ||

file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "Huawei/U8815/hwu8815:2.3.6/HuaweiU8815C02B885/C02B885:user/ota-rel-keys,release-keys");

so it's only going to work on 882 and 885 devices (I assume incase you want to reflash it)

The other things I noticed is that the XML that tells you what the patch does is availialbe in English & Russian, so I'm going to assume the non-voda branded roms must be russian in origin.

As I posted in another thread the OEMSBL seems to be the problem as the sdlog from failed update states. It checks the state and fails. We almost definitely need an UPDATE.APP unpacker that works with these images.

Guest FrownBreaker

• ....... We almost definitely need an UPDATE.APP unpacker that works with these images.

Not sure if this helps..

This is a perl script for the Huawei format update.app from McSpoon..

"I've created a simple Perl script to unpack the contents of the UPDATA.APP files. "

http://www.modaco.com/topic/298436-perl-script-for-unpacking-the-updataapp-files/

There is a discussion on XDA here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1395662

This might me old but worth a look? The provenence is outlined by McSpoon in the first thread,

Guest Frankish

And to be honest, unpacking is one thing. But repacking it to flash without breaking some sort of md5 or crc check would be another hurdle. Unless we found a way to write the mbn files outside of huawei's updater too. M

Guest Davidoff59

Thanks hecatae, while having a quick look yesterday,I was sure I saw a U8815 section but can't see it now. Strange it blind?

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

In common with somebody earlier in the thread, I have lost the useful (CM7-style) toggles in the notification bar after restoring apps with Titanium Backup. Has this happened to more than two of us? If so, does anybody know how to get them back? They were there when I flashed the vendor update, but I presume I can't do that again without losing all my apps and settings.

Guest punjabi

In common with somebody earlier in the thread, I have lost the useful (CM7-style) toggles in the notification bar after restoring apps with Titanium Backup. Has this happened to more than two of us? If so, does anybody know how to get them back? They were there when I flashed the vendor update, but I presume I can't do that again without losing all my apps and settings.

Hi there

Yes I lost the same toggle notification bar sitting on the screen which was really useful I must say.

It happened after I updated to B888

Edited by punjabi

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

It is missing if you only flash the main update but neglect to also do the vendor update. However, I flashed the vendor update and can confirm the switcher was present afterwards. It just disappeared after restoring some backups with Titanium. Weird!

It's possible that it only works with the stock launcher or something. I have restored Launcher Pro. I always used LP with the stock ROM and still had the switcher in the notification bar, but maybe the two don't work together in B888?

Edited by Konstipated Kiwi

Guest dragpyre

It is missing if you only flash the main update but neglect to also do the vendor update. However, I flashed the vendor update and can confirm the switcher was present afterwards. It just disappeared after restoring some backups with Titanium. Weird!

It's possible that it only works with the stock launcher or something. I have restored Launcher Pro. I always used LP with the stock ROM and still had the switcher in the notification bar, but maybe the two don't work together in B888?

I'm using B888, flashed both main update.app and vendor, and I have the useful switches.

I'm using Go Launcher Ex with an ICS theme. :)

Guest dragpyre

funny thing is that at least one person claims that their phone came with the 886 rom from vodafone.

I provided all the screenshots, surely that is enough for it to be more than a claim?

Guest Frankish

For those missing toggles and restoring data with titanium...o hope you aren't restoring any system data or apps. Only data apps.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Aye, only downloaded apps from Google Play. Nothing exotic either.

Edit: Ignore me; I'm the world's biggest moron! I've just remembered that I deselected 'Display short-cut buttons in the notification panel' in the Display menu. What a prize spud!

Edited by Konstipated Kiwi

Guest dragpyre

For those missing toggles and restoring data with titanium...o hope you aren't restoring any system data or apps. Only data apps.

I restored system data etc. using Huawei AllBackup, and my G300 is fine :)

EDIT: Well, system settings anyway :L

Edited by dragpyre