Cracked screen

Guest vinnyjones

Guest vinnyjones

Hello all,

So I've had my g300 for a while now and i've been really happy with it however today I the screen somehow cracked, i didn't drop it, it just cracked.

Not quite sure how as it was in my trouser pocket.

The crack is pretty huge as it covers the entire screen from top to bottom.

Has anyone found replacement screens?

Guest RussellS

If it is the front glass then a replacement is available here:

http://www.ecrater.c...creen-digitizer

However, it is not cheap but at least it shows that they are available. It probably won't be long before they are available on eBay for £10

EDIT: Actually they are available on eBay but they are all from China at just under £30. Just search eBay for 'G300 digitizer'.

Edited by RussellS

Guest vinnyjones

Its the glass itself thats cracked, the touchscreen itself is working fine, however I assume that I will need to buy the entire panel..

thanks guys, I'll order one asap..

This one looks like the right one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITIZER-TOUCH-SCREEN-LENS-for-HUAWEI-G300-/170842945457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c70877b1

Edited by vinnyjones

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Christian Edwards

There are now some screens on eBay for £20, so I'm thinking of doing the repair myself.

I've had a trial run of taking it apart but hit a snag.

I removed the two easy to find torx screws then found another 4 under the white top and bottom edges but....

The screen still won't come apart it's free in the middle with 4 tabs on the side unhooked but both top and bottom are holding fast, has anyone who's already done one got any advice?

Edited by Christian Edwards

• 1 month later...
Guest gally620

Hi, I have a similar problem, well my g300 dropped from my bag, it seems that the screen cracked (but it is not visible). When I press the on button it starts with the logo and some big lines appear in the screen, then can see the locked screen for a while but as time passes the screen starts to flicker and little by little it became black (until I leave it for a couple of days in its case, then if I switch it on the process starts again) I have to add that can`t move anything with my fingers, I can just see the screen, no movements.

I know that the phone works, I think the problem is in the lcd display but I am not sure if the digitizer screen is also damaged. What do you think???

To change a lcd now is quite expensive £40 (more or less), but it increases £20 with the digitizer.

This is a photo i took before the screen becomecompletely black.

Thank you !!!

DSC_0253.jpg

Guest Davidoff59

there are issues with a bubble under the screen so its possible that there is an inherent weakness due to this as it appearance the digitiser isn't glued down properly. I would take it back to the shop say it had a bubble under the screen and cracked while in use. Huawei are aware of this issue and I would go buying a digitiser when it cracked for no reason.

Guest gally620

Thanks for the idea but I can't say it cracked for no reason because unfortunately it is obvious that the phone hit the floor :(

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest RaoulTeeuwen

Just disassembled my daughters G300 with the above video ... Since i haven't been disassembling a lot of phones, i wonder whether i used to much force when trying to get the LCD out (did that once to an iPhone LCD :( ). Disassembling was doable (i'm not a handy guy ;-)). I had to use a blow dryer twice to get a part loose from some sticky stuff: the 2nd time it was when getting the LCD out of the frame: careful with that step or i guess you'll tear a part/connector!

Now i know there is a chance i was successful disassembling the G300, i just ordered a new screen from http://mirrorstar.com/ ($21, $2 reg.shipping, worldwide). It will take some weeks for it arrive and i'll be able to try the reverse to assemble.

Guest myoldboots

Managed to replace my cracked screen the other day - aided by a combination of all available videos and luck! Thought I had made a critical

error with the ribbon attached to the power button - appeared too tricky trying to remove the screen with it hinged so used the hairdryer

to ease it apart and was very relieved when it went back on without too much fuss. Used 2mm tape to stick the screen back in and used about

30mm of it to make up the missing bit of gasket that got mangled when I scraped it off - just stuck that bit in and left the backing tape on the top part of it

so it didn't stick to the lcd in case I had to take it off again. All works fine now - have got a gel case and a screen protector now so phone isn't as slippery

as a bar of soap! Good luck to anyone else attempting it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RaoulTeeuwen

Managed to replace the screen of my G300, but: bluetooth and wifi don't work. Does anybody have any idea? Did i overlook a connector? Did i unknowingly rip something? I used the video in this thread and think i followed it in every detail.

Edit: just demo-ed it to my foster son while it was partly disassembled, and wifi worked ... so maybe short circuit somewhere, but should be solvable :-)...

Edited by RaoulTeeuwen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest abcdefg100

As my daughter dropped her G300 i was looking for clear instructions to replace the screen and found

. Also found http://www.etradesup...scend-g300.html for a replacement screen.

Wow, the replacement screen you refered above is really very cheap. But I think DIY repair is difficult for someone who has no technical skills about the disassembling or assembling cellphones

Edited by abcdefg100

• 1 month later...
Guest mushyg

Managed to replace the screen of my G300, but: bluetooth and wifi don't work. Does anybody have any idea? Did i overlook a connector? Did i unknowingly rip something? I used the video in this thread and think i followed it in every detail.

Edit: just demo-ed it to my foster son while it was partly disassembled, and wifi worked ... so maybe short circuit somewhere, but should be solvable :-)...

I've managed to somehow lose all network connections while sorting my sons out. Wifi & Bluetooth both fine just the ability to make and receive calls/text messages...

any help/advice greatly appreciated.

• 1 year later...
Guest dalyer

As with all of the previous phones that she's had (and as I predicted here:http://www.modaco.com/topic/365352-official-ics-jelly-bean-worth-the-update/#entry2160468  :wacko: ) my gf has dropped her (my old) G300 and smashed the digitizer.

(And yes - I do have a Coolpad F1 but am still using my Haier W910 as my daily phone and I'm loath to give her the latter anyway as I don't want to see that smashed too! :D)

Ordered a replacement digitizer (plus tools) off eBay for about €15 delivered to Ireland from the UK.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Touch-Screen-Glass-Lens-Digitizer-for-Huawei-Ascend-G300-U8815-U8818-UK-/131200488500

There were cheaper ones available but I wanted to order from Ireland or UK as I need quicker than it will come from further afield (China etc.).

When I get it I'm going to give it a go replacing it even though I know it may be tricky.

On the other hand at least one if not two posters here said it was more straightforward than they expected.

Wish me luck! :D

If that works I'll probably also take the opportunity to install gbxtreme as I'd like to see it and it sounds like it'd be better than the CM7.2 that has been running up to now.

Edited by dalyer

• 3 weeks later...