[ROMs] [gen1/gen2] Various 2.3.x roms for ZTE Racer

Guest equiliym

Guest Redicxs

Hello, i have a zte racer 2 and any of the recovery files wont work for me, when i try to install with the recovery manager it says " unrecognised " so i cant install a new rom. Can you guys give me a good one? that works. Thanks!

Guest equiliym

you cant install racer recovery on racer2, you should check proper thread with racer2 info about recoveries and roms, these are for racer

Guest Rahulsingh190

Equiliym how about just increasing the api level of GB roms to 15 ....so that ics apps can also be compitible .....if not ics itself ......but ...I want to ask is it anyhow possible...

Guest equiliym

im not sure that would work.. ics/jb are a whole new branch of android and the coding is quite different so im not sure how ics apps would work on gb.. however it might be easier to downgrade ics api level than to upgrade whole rom, ill take a look into it :o

Guest Rahulsingh190

Try it ...let's see it works or not ....but I am not able understand ...what is the main problem in building ics ....is it touchscreen, soft keys or kernel ....if it's the problem of home, back & menu key it isn't much to worry about...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest equiliym

JOY OS is d best.. but hw 2 instal Google Play.. coz i m unable 2 instal it on JOY OS..

have you flashed gapps pack? the system partition should have at least 30mb free when you flash the rom, gapps shouldnt be more than 10mb so there shouldnt be any problem.. if that wont work, try different gapps pack, you can download some on raceroms too

Guest thumbler

Hi.

First post. New to Android.

When my ancient Nokia started dying a couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and replaced it with a 'Telstra T3020' (gen1 racer) for AU$39 ;-) The phone came preloaded with 2.1-update1, but for the past week I've been using racerboy's 'vam_ICSv3ring_based_on_2.3.7_Racer-252'. That does what I need, but the battery life is pretty poor even with conservative settings, so I was keen to try equiliym's new roms with the smartassV2 governor enabled. The MokeeOS v0.3 is gorgeous and would suit me well, except for an annoying glitch in the contacts list display making the app almost useless. I know equilym isn't be interested in debugging this, and it's probably an upstream problem anyway, but has anyone else noticed that?

Anyway, I see there's a new major version out, so if somebody with the skills is looking for a project, then maybe that would be worth a look?

Thanks so much to all here, and especially to everyone porting roms to this device. A fantastic effort.

Guest equiliym

hey and welcome to the forums.. sorry for late respond, forum is kind of dying lal.. so whats that contacts glitch? and im not sure i will be updating these roms, i just might add more to the list since its just not worth wasting time on it since not many racer users left :(

Guest GuyOverThere

hey and welcome to the forums.. sorry for late respond, forum is kind of dying lal.. so whats that contacts glitch? and im not sure i will be updating these roms, i just might add more to the list since its just not worth wasting time on it since not many racer users left :(

oh... too bad :c I'll do it If I knew how :-\ while I have played with cooking roms, porting is a different thing and the fact monkee is a different res/dpi is a turn off for me

Guest thumbler

Thanks for your response.

Re contacts: With letter headings turned on, you could really only read the *last* entry under each header as intended. Instead of a plain dark ground, the list was full of bullet-shaped white 'text-fields'. The text was white too, so it was illegible until you highlighted each entry. With headers turned off, *every* entry in list view was like that. Clicking through, the extended entry for each contact displayed properly. Just a cosmetic thing, but a bit impractical for usability.

More seriously, checking stats and using the phone, I got lots of messages about 'acore' dying unexpectedly. I don't know what that might be exactly but it sounds worryingly crutial, so maybe Mokee isn't quite ready for prime-time anyway. For now I've rolled back and moved on. If the user-base is dwindling for this hardware, then I guess you might be better off focussing on perfecting the more mainstream stuff. I'm trying out racerboy's latest CM today and it's looking very good, but will definitely check out one of your recent nightlies for comparison soon since I really like the idea of keeping Gapps optional.

Again, cudos to you guys for your work here. At first brush I'm a little stunned at how device-specific this stuff seems. Is there a thread here with info on the format of the racer's boot.img? I thought I might get my toes wet with the splash ;-)

Edited by thumbler

Guest GuyOverThere

Don't remember a thread about managing image files here, at least regarding racer specifics, search the forums if you like though, but basically, boot.img is made from a header, a kernel, a ramdisk and other stuff, all that is archived with cpio and gzip and then the final file (the .img one) is created with mkbootimg.

I use dsixda's kitchen to unpack the images but you can do unpack everything manually if you're interested, check out xda-developers forums for info or this wiki.

Guest equiliym

there is a somewhat kitchen made somewhere around here.. not sure, i have perl file to decompile boot image anyhow, you can unpack it and get kernel and ramdisk.. after that you can also unpack ramdisk to mess with it.. cant really accomplish much, you could make edits to ramdisk but kernel is compiled and stays the same

Guest thumbler

I found a tool, 'abootimg', pre-packaged in Debian wheezy. Can print info, split and repack the main components. Then gzip/cpio to manipulate the initrd, and imagemagic/to565 to convert the graphic, as suggested in the link above. But beware, fellow beginners - our phone is different. Remember, 'cat /proc/mtd' is your friend and guide. Don't overwrite the wrong partition!

That said, my new boot-splash is very elegant ...if maybe not quite copyright-kosher :-)

Thanks for your help, guys.

Edited by thumbler