New to the ZTE Skate

Guest pmalexander

Guest pmalexander

Dear All,

have just moved from a Sony Ericsson C905 to a ZTE Skate, I wanted a simple upgrade to a phone with the Android operating system on it, that had a lovely 4.3" screen, like my wifes Samsung Galaxy SII.

I have the following questions :-

1. Is there any software I can load on my PC/laptop that will enable me to :-

i) Add/Edit/Delete Contacts

ii) Allow me to send text messages

iii) Use the phone for USB tethering.

The Sony Ericsson had a great piece of software called "Sony PC Companion" which worked very well.

2. Have been reading up on this Proximity Sensor, (which blanks the screen when you make a call). In simple terms how do you stop the screen from blanking, I see lots of posts but nothing to give a link to a simple guide to stop it.

My phone has Android 2.3.5 and I am waiting for a 32Gb SD card to arrive, so I can actually use the camera, and hopfully upgrade it to Ice Cream Sandwich, or maybe Jelly Bean.

Will an upgrade to ICS or Jelly bean, sort out this screen blanking?

Apart from that, so far been quite happy with its workings.

Any help you would be most greatefully received.

Guest Josh92

Hi, I'm not familiar with any software that can be used for that, never really needed it, may well be something out there. ADDITIONAL: Having just seen your new post, I have never heard of that link before, may be okay but seems a little dodgy.

USB tethering works on certain roms I believe, I can't remember if it can do it with stock.

Do you mean you don't want the screen to go off when you lift the headset to your ear? Or is it going off straight away and not returning?

Don't get too excited about using the camera, to be blunt it's pretty awful!

What have you done so far? Are you running stock or a custom rom? If you're going to be using a fair amount of apps you will probably want to look into rooting to use Link2SD, theres very little on board space, Link2SD will store all app data on the SD card.

Guest pmalexander

Well the link I used to download MyPhoneExplorer, appears to work ok, you can text and I can amend all the contacts which were loaded on my Sim Card.

The problem when looking at the contacts within the phone is some contacts were listed like this "cousin;Lara/1" All I want it to say is "Lara Cousin" for example.

A real pain, but at least it will be quicker using PC software to make these changes. I have turned off Google Sync as I had a lot of contacts in there, that I did not want on the phone.

Anyway the software to play with the contacts can now be ticked off. (Be it you have to restart the phone before the amended contacts can be seen 'how you want them to look')

Josh, Im not sure what you mean by stock or custom, but I think the phone is a bog standard unlocked type phone.

The blank screen for example appears when I call someone, after 5 seconds the screen goes black and you can hear the phone connecting to the other person, but you cannot hang up. This is such a poor design, and was wondering how you can make the phone light stay on, or at the very least have control to bring the light back on the phone and see the controls that allow you to end the call.

As for the camera, I will have a play and see what goes.

The screen blanking does bug though.

Guest razzmataz1478

Don't worry about the proximity sensor, just calibrate it and it will be fine. If you want to watch YouTube in high quality any 4.x.x rom is a no go.

For contacts just put them on you sim and import them.

And trust me, you won't need a PC Suite.

As far as I know there is no software that will allow you to send text messages natively. Anyway, typing is a breeze on the skates big screen.

USB tethering can be done through windows natively.

Guest pmalexander

Hi Razz,

All of my contacts were on the sim!!!!

Have now gone through using the MyPhoneExplorer software, and all is how I want my contacts to look, BLISS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texting is cool through the phone, but the software can do it equally good as well. Like I mentioned before I had to connect via Bluetooth, (my laptop has Bluetooth built in). The USB cable did not want to work, for some reason.

I did hear that Youtube in High Quality and the FM Tuner did not work with ICS, but thats a small price to pay.

Just installed the Proximity Sensor Calibration app, and indeed the phone works fine, and does not blank the screen when making a call, thank you Razz, sometimes I cant get my head around that its an app I need to download, rather than look through the settings on the phone.

I suppose the term 'an app for everything' is true, be it for the iphone, and android, to a certain extent.

For now that will do until ICS comes along.

Guest Josh92

Cool glad you're sorted, I was referring to are you on the stock rom (the one that comes with the phone initially) or have you installed a custom one (such as ICS). I wasn't aware the proximity sensor could need calibrating if starting from stock, odd!

Yeah the calibrator is an app, though many custom roms on here (inc ICS with ColdFusionX) have the proximity sensor calibration options built into the settings.

It's definitely a good idea to get onto a custom rom from here when you're up to it, whether it ICS or gingerbread still, they're much more efficient, visually better and have more features. Not to mention just getting rid of Oranges clutter/skins if its an Orange Monte Carlo Skate you have. Most gingerbread roms are effectively fully working, and ICS has a few issues, mainly those pointed out, nothing major.

Guest pmalexander

Josh, I did hear the Monte Carlo from Orange was a bit of a pain, but i believe this phone to be a stock rom. I will be installing a Custom Rom, ICS, or maybe Jelly Bean, if one becomes available. Although you can pick up the Monte Carlo phone from an Orange shop, (saw it in Lakeside's store) for £99. You might have to top up £10 on it though, but good price, if you are planning to unlock the phone and put on a custom rom.

I know the phone struggles using BBC iplayer, but I downloaded myplayer+ at a cost of £2.00, which is like tvcatchup.com, but does not reply on the flash aspect.

Once I get my SD card, I will play more. Next step will be to see what movie files play on it and ICS or Jelly Bean

Guest pmalexander

I must admit I dont really want to lose the camera flash, on odd ocassions its a useful facility. I am sure Jelly Bean wont be much better if ICS has limitations on the phones functionality.

So far with GB 2.3.5 I dont find it too much of an issue, but will always keep options open if any new operating system is worth doing, especilly if it can improve the battery life, or make the phone perform smoother.

Guest pmalexander

Finally I get my SD card a lovely 32Gb. Shall I or shall I not upgrade, is there anything worth upgrading to that helps the battery life?

Guest mhstrijbos

Regarding the adding/editing of contacts, and you can always use Google Contacts tot edit them, and should you have a Gmail account.

Guest pmalexander

USB Tethering seems a simple enough thing, but do I need an app. I am on the Three network, and I can see a modem on COM4, so do I create a (Dial Up), if so what on earth would I use as a number/credentials?

If an app, what app would work ok with the 3 network?

Any help would be great. The Sony Companion software just worked great, click and browse within the software. I do miss that software

Guest razzmataz1478

USB Tethering seems a simple enough thing, but do I need an app. I am on the Three network, and I can see a modem on COM4, so do I create a (Dial Up), if so what on earth would I use as a number/credentials?

If an app, what app would work ok with the 3 network?

Any help would be great. The Sony Companion software just worked great, click and browse within the software. I do miss that software

Windows should detect it automatically.

It will be called something like "ZTE HSUSB Modem"

Or any your case, COM4. And it's not dial up.

Guest pmalexander

Do you have a simple way of telling me how this works, I just dont see how to create that connection to my 3 ISP, to browse on my Win 7 laptop. Have had a look, but just cant see how to.