[Inquiry] ICS

Guest Hisham.weshy

Guest Hisham.weshy

Is there any hope to have a stock ICS on ZTE Skate? coz i lately heard somewhere that ZTE doesn't develop for its devices (dunno whether being right or wrong).

But As a customer if i knew they wouldn't provide updates for the OS, i wouldn't buy the device. And what's the most stable custom ROM i can enhance my device through? my os now is the stock rom of v 2.3.5, baught it from Vodafone in Egypt.

Thanks and sorry if my inquiry is duplicated.

Guest gavin.19

ZTE will never release an ICS update for the Skate. It's an old model.

If you want the most stable/functional ROM then CyanogenMod 7.2 is probably the best all round. Any of Mokee/SKatie/AtomicMod/H3 Blues are also great choices. These are all Gingerbread-based ROMs. If you want ICS then ColdFusionX is your best bet, though it's since been discontinued in favour of the new Jelly Bean port.

Guest Hisham.weshy

Thanks gavin. I may give a try with this Cyanogenmod.

Or Mokee as i found many members in some topics here were recommending it.

But let me please ask about somethings as i'm not professional user:

1. i didn't understand what is the jelly bean port.

2. what will i lose/win when i convert to Mokee or Cyanogenmod ? is it performance, battery, features or what? Note that i can't stand with any missings or crashes.

3. Is doing this safe and how to do?

Guest Josh92

1. Jelly Bean (JB) is the latest version of Android, after ICS.

2. If you choose a 7.2 ROM (inc, Mokee etc) you will lose nothing as far as I'm aware. You will gain most likely all of those things. Battery, performance & features (A LOT of new features, depending on the ROM though). If you don't want anything missing then don't go for ICS, that has a few issues that will never be resolved. The Gingerbread roms have come a long way so theres not too much difference.

3. It is safe if you follow the guides stickied on the board. It's fairly hard to completely brick the Skate.

Guest omegavesko

1. Jelly Bean is Android 4.1, the newest version of Android, the successor to Ice Cream Sandwich. It came out less than a month ago.

2. If you switch to a gingerbread (2.3) ROM, you lose absolutely nothing. If you switch to an ICS ROM, you lose a few minor features.

3. Android phones are extremely hard to brick, so as long as you follow the guides here, you'll be fine.

Guest Hisham.weshy

very helpful comments,Thanks Josh and Omega.

Concerning point (2): Do you recommend Cyanogen or Mokee? and please provide the topic link of the version you recommend so that i download it.

@Omegavesko: my os is 2.3.5 are the above os 2.3 too? so what's the difference?

Guest omegavesko

Concerning point (2): Do you recommend Cyanogen or Mokee? and please provide the topic link of the version you recommend so that i download it.

I definitely recommend cyanogen, specifically cm9.

Mokee OS is based on 2.3.7, I think. It's really not much of a difference, though. CyanogenMod 9 is based on 4.0.4.

Guest Josh92

No problem.

2.3 is Gingerbread, the .x after that is the version. Yes those ROMs are 2.3 as well, just 2.3.7 instead of 2.3.5

4.0 = ICS

4.1 = Jelly Bean

Once you've installed one custom gingerbread rom it's very easy to change to another (and just as easy to make a full backup of the previous one to go back to it exactly as you left off), so your best bet is to just give the ones you like the look of a try.

Original Mokee: http://www.modaco.co...s-updated-2406/

Newer Mokee (both have pros & cons, read first post): http://www.modaco.co...d-237-24072012/

MIUI (Cyanogen 7.2): http://www.modaco.co...72-android-237/

H3 Blues: http://www.modaco.co...s-dolby-bravia/

EDIT: @ Omegas post, CM9 is ICS, it has a few things missing which you (OP) said you didn't want so I haven't mentioned. Still a great ROM if you can live with the missing features which a lot of people can (including myself). ColdFusionX is considered the best CM9 ROM for skate. (CFX2 is Jelly Bean).

Edited by Josh92

Guest Hisham.weshy

great. I will go with the Original Mokee, looks more stable according to replies in the topic.

But there's a link of date 6/6 (saying containing all prev updates), and there're also many further updates after 6/6.

should i download the 6/6 link, 13/6 and 24/6 link as well?

another question please: do i install roms through another apps that backup current custom roms and apps? or what (in case i want to go to custom rom again)

Guest omegavesko

The two other links seem to be hotfixes. You need to install those after you've installed the ROM itself. Yes, install all of them.

You flash ("install") ROMs through CWM (Clockwork Mod). The 'Rooting For Beginners' sticky tells you how to install CWM. After you've done that, you can use CWM to make a full backup of your current system, including apps, which you can restore to later at any time.

Guest Hisham.weshy

Wacky.ddw is saying in that topic that rooting to install custom rom is not true or needed. coz most roms got their SU rights.

So, do i still need to root?

Guest sui785

Wacky.ddw is saying in that topic that rooting to install custom rom is not true or needed. coz most roms got their SU rights.

So, do i still need to root?

No you just need TPT Helper and the Skate v2a, it flashes CWM as well so you don't need root anymore.

Edited by sui785

Guest Hisham.weshy

i flashed the Mokee and gapps successfuly. but when flashing the 13/6 then "reboot system now" then "power off" from CMW, when powering up normally again, it boots to CWM without using the volume up and menu keys !!

and after flashing "the stock-volum" update, then powering off from CMW, powering up gets stuck at that android logo.

EDIT:

I was doing a mistake. that i do the two wipes needed before the flashing the update and did it correctly. But when rebooting still stucked at andro. logo.

here is how i flash the update:

1. boot to CWM

2. flash the update (by choosing install from .....)

3. wipe Cach

4. wipe dalvik

5. "reboot system now"

6. and when it boot to CMW i choose "power off"

7. then power ON normally to get stucked with andro. logo.

is there any wrong steps i do?

Edited by Hisham.weshy

Guest omegavesko

Hm. So when you reboot it, it boots into cwm? That definitely shouldn't be happening.

Are you sure you aren't accidentally triggering the tpt again? Delete the image folder from your SD card to be sure.

Oh, also, you boot into the recovery using volume up, HOME and power. Using volume up, menu and power boots into the boot loader, which would trigger the tpt.

Edited by omegavesko

Guest Hisham.weshy

the problem now with me is when finishing the rom flashing, and it works well. when i update any file by the steps i mentioned above i get stucked at the android logo (as if it's bricked after the updates but still can log onto the CWM unlike being bricked).

Note that after i finish the rom flashing i dun remove the "Image" folder from SD, because when i do i become not able to log into CWM.

looks like i setup the update wrong, but i dunno where's the mistake !! :|

Guest Hisham.weshy

i was waiting for quick replies and when i found non i tried many things (just from my mind) :D

and this's what worked:

After i flashed the rom, before i do "reboot system now" from cmw, i just continued and flashed the rest of the updates, and did "reboot system now" after all to find the updates installed and the ROM booted successfuly.

look's like i'm not a beginner anymore, i'm the level below't !! :D

Guest Redstarr1

You were doing tpt's, not really accessing recovery. Your new method works, but before you were pressing the wrong buttons. Press volume up and power.

Guest Hisham.weshy

VolUp+Menu+power is working with my CWM. i dun understand when to use only VolUp+Power ?

Should this solve the problem of getting stuck at android logo after installing updates?

Guest omegavesko

VolUp + Menu + Power: Flashes a TPT from your SD card, if there is one.

VolUp + Home + Power: Boots into CWM.

Do not use the MENU button unless you're flashing a TPT. Use Home.

Edited by omegavesko