How To root your San Diego

Guest benichou

OK done, replaced superuser & busybox in root folder with x86 superuser apk and your busybox.

Rooted and rebooted....that flashing screen worries me :lol:

second reboot, my screen is still flashing :unsure:

Not good the flashing screen is permanent now.

Factory reset again I think :lol:

Edited by Guest

Flashing screen??

Yeah it is what happened when we first rooted, after a reboot it stops, but putting x86 superuser & your busybox in rooting folder, replacing originals, makes the flashing persist.

It ok now, factory reset, good as new.

Edited by Guest

Ok I am a noob, I forgot to replace the su binary for x86 :lol: lets try that again.

Nope same problem, only a factory reset fixes it, but root is still retained.

Edited by Guest

Guest Simon O

If it messes up again then I believe this to be the busybox binary. As said already by rickywyatt, there is busybox in /sbin already set up on the system. The original exploit had the ARM version so this wasn't installed (it would be pushed but cannot run and install itself) which retains the original busybox.

When you use the x86 busybox I found, it gets pushed to the phone and installed - taking over from the /sbin busybox. It seems that the system doesn't like this for whatever reason and panics. I assume it's running some sort of integrity check?

Guest Simon O

Ok I am a noob, I forgot to replace the su binary for x86 vz58yY1liRYCAAFZfy6F4BF5syZM7uzPMVdEiioktM1FywyZ9asmR1lyd4KQEHV7KZJYJFZM2dMrC+O9wIJyvrU9qnDQV6UmzRQUMS2vAEhmBZqJggU5NXLqEIIRvrr8IAcL26dWQrkTp8OJKIDTcVYQd7kUHZMzYWoCw90UGSHBYhhcFxSYmxEiK8BLEBAQadp7hIU4GyiAQ86cCDzS6mpSfHDAxkLAAC0X1cVifZAbAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg== lets try that again.

Nope same problem, only a factory reset fixes it, but root is still retained.

Remove the new busybox and replace with the original ARM binary if you still have it? That should stop the issue and install the right superuser. With luck you'll retain root.

But surely if there was some check going on, when I overwrite busybox with xplore app with your busybox, I would have same problem right ? only it takes it fine and there is root still.

Sorry getting confused now lol. So I should put back the original busybox pushed to my device by the rooting exploit ?

edit: Ok I have replaced the busybox and I still have root.

Edited by Guest

Guest Simon O

There is /sbin busybox - the phones default busybox. Required by the system

Pushing busybox puts it in /system/xbin/ and attempts to run busybox -install to set up the symlinks. This will then overwrite the original /sbin busybox symlinks with symlinks for the new busybox. The phone doesn't like this and refuses to boot.

Pushing the original arm busybox doesn't matter because it doesn't execute on the phone so it doesn't take over - thus retaining the original /sbin busybox and it's symlinks.

Assuming the busybox x86 I found isn't bad then the problem can be resolved by not installing any other busybox, or pushing an ADDITIONAL busybox to /system/xbin to add any missing symlinks

If the busybox x86 I found IS bad (as in it won't run properly on the phone) then we need another busybox.

Sorry if this is unclear.. I'm making sense of it all and it's not an easy thing to write.

Yeah I understand, just been a bit to much excitement tonight :lol:

So what if I was to delete busybox in xbin ? or am I going down wrong road here.

Edited by Guest

Guest Simon O

But surely if there was some check going on, when I overwrite busybox with xplore app with your busybox, I would have same problem right ? only it takes it fine and there is root still.

Sorry getting confused now lol. So I should put back the original busybox pushed to my device by the rooting exploit ?

edit: Ok I have replaced the busybox and I still have root.

Yep that's right. Adding the original busybox back, which was ARM, means it won't be installed.

Can you open Superuser and use the option to check it's set up correctly (I forget what the option is called)

Yeah I understand, just been a bit to much excitement tonight

So what if I was to delete busybox in xbin ? or am I going down wrong road here.

That shouldn't cause a problem leaving it there.

Guest Simon O

'tap to check for updates' and it'll do a quick update test and check if the bin is installed correctly. Also try requesting root on an app that requires root.

Guest hecatae
I cannot see any option for that in superuser ?

There is some info on su binary if that is what you mean.

tap to check for updates and ask it to download the binary and reinstall su