I'm taking requests for my Nexus 7 video review...

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Hi there.

Google's PR have sent me out a Nexus 7 to review, and since there are SO many bland, copycat reviews already on YouTube, I thought I'd ask you folks if you want to know anything specific... anything obscure about the device which you want to know about, or maybe you own one but don't know the answer to something that's bugging you? Something in-depth... like rooting, OTG hacks or whatnot. I'll do my utmost to answer them, shooting them in HD as I go, if possible.

Please do ask - the video will come shortly after the device arrives, as soon as I've done some decent pre-planning and setup etc. I know I'm a few months "behind"(?) with the review - what can I say? Meh, so what :P

[EDIT]

### If your query relates to anything involving third party firmware ROMs, I won't be flashing alternate ROMs to the loan device, just so as to save you asking. ###

Edited by glossywhite

If possible:

Find the best custom ROM you can find and compare the improvements vs stock using conventional benchmarks. We already know the power of the device, but I want the people to see the difference i.e are custom ROMs for a powerful device worth the risk? (Not just for us tech-heads that flash them just because we can!)

TIA

Guest glossywhite

If possible:

Find the best custom ROM you can find and compare the improvements vs stock using conventional benchmarks. We already know the power of the device, but I want the people to see the difference i.e are custom ROMs for a powerful device worth the risk? (Not just for us tech-heads that flash them just because we can!)

TIA

I don't think I'll be putting custom ROMs on it for two reasons:

1/ The review would not be fair OR realistic if I did - the review is for the stock 4.1.2, and for everyone, including "Joe Bloggs" who won't know how to, or want to be doing this.

2/ I'm not sure whether it's ethical to completely replace firmware on a device that has been lent to me to *review*, and not much else. Let's face it - Google PR would be well within their rights to ask me to pay for the device, should a ROM damage the Nexus 7, as skilled as I am and unlikely as that may be, I don't feel it would be fair.

Rooting is one thing, but complete obliterating the OS and replacing it is another thing entirely.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Oh well..I perfectly understand your point..would still love to see one though.. ;)

And yes, it does look like a little late to do a review right now, and imho it's kinda hard to do a review that's different from the existing ones..

Oh yeah? :P - I don't have an American accent, sound resigned to my task when filming, and tend to show the things that bug me that others leave out. You may call me obsessive with detail - I certainly am pedantic, but that's how I get things done PROPERLY, instead of reading spec sheets online.

Possibly the best review I've yet seen is this one, as this lady actually knows how to take full advantage of a camera *properly*:

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Ooppsss..didn't meant it to sound that bad..I'm sure you could do a good review, but what I'm trying to say is that it may be hard to find anything that has not been shown yet..

Heh, I didn't take anything you said as bad or offensive! :)

Guest glossywhite

And I was just trying to help you do a review that would set it apart..haven't seen one review of a custom rom on an N7..and from someone who knows what he's doing.. ;)

Yes, but the word "review" means just that. If I installed a custom ROM, it would need to be called "Review of the Nexus 7 with custom ROM comparisons" - yuck!

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid. :P

Edited by glossywhite

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Elvis Sawdust

That's probably the most useful and professionally made review I've seen on the Nexus 7, and swayed me to get one.

I've just ordered the 32gb version of the Nexus 7 and an OTG micro usb cable to connect my 64gb memory stick for movie storage, also ordered a micro usb to hdmi cable in case I should ever want to watch movies on a big screen.