GPS Lock Issue. Try This.

Guest Rico_89

Guest blaster99999

Having tried many things I was able to get the GPS locking on fairly quickly with GPS Monitor as previously mentioned. The problem I was then having was poor accuracy. When ever I would go past a junction it would get confused or if a road was running parallel with another road it would but me on the wrong one and do lots of re-routing.

A few days ago I took GPS Monitor off and tried GPS Status. This was no better, I then tried changing the "Sensor Filtering". Strong was very poor but I set it to weak today and had great results.

Its too soon to say if this will help in the long term and I will keep trying it but I was able to drive 10 miles through the middle of Doncaster without a single problem (using copilot).

I've just looked on Google play and there is 2 different apps called GPS status by different Arthur's, which one are you using

Guest sandriderman

I've just looked on Google play and there is 2 different apps called GPS status by different Arthur's, which one are you using

Gps status & toolbox

Had a similar problem with an MLAIS MX58 Air, tried the stuff suggested in this link http://www.gizchina....ediatek-phones/ and it does appear to be a lot better, so it might be worthwhile giving it a go.

Scratch that. GPS is still rubbish, any of the fixes merely seem to get you a locked position initially but once you start moving and you lose your position and the apps won't know where you are and wont be able to give you any useful directions.

Edited by SG8

• 2 weeks later...
Guest allanmac

Yes, the Bluetooth GPS app lets you pair an external BT GPS. You have to enable "Allow Mock Locations" in the Developer options. You can then keep the V5's GPS disabled and the Android location API will use the external GPS. There are other similar external GPS apps in the Play Store.

I tried it last weekend with an old Garmin GPS 10x. Apparently the Garmin uses the SiRF Star III chipset. It locks on very fast. The V5's LED lights up solid blue when connected to the external GPS.

The "GPS Test" app that everyone uses will show whether you have a GPS lock, etc. but doesn't show the signal strength bars. However, you can see all the GPS signal details and logging inside the Bluetooth GPS app. Bluetooth GPS also comes with a widget that shows signal strength, etc.

Regular location apps like Maps work seamlessly with the external GPS.

post-1018755-0-06465300-1377189456_thumb

post-1018755-0-21786700-1377189460_thumb

Edited by allanmac

Yes, the Bluetooth GPS app lets you pair an external BT GPS. You have to enable "Allow Mock Locations" in the Developer options. You can then keep the V5's GPS disabled and the Android location API will use the external GPS. There are other similar external GPS apps in the Play Store.

I tried it last weekend with an old Garmin GPS 10x. Apparently the Garmin uses the SiRF Star III chipset. It locks on very fast. The V5's LED lights up solid blue when connected to the external GPS.

The "GPS Test" app that everyone uses will show whether you have a GPS lock, etc. but doesn't show the signal strength bars. However, you can see all the GPS signal details and logging inside the Bluetooth GPS app. Bluetooth GPS also comes with a widget that shows signal strength, etc.

Regular location apps like Maps work seamlessly with the external GPS.

Thanks for that, might try and get my hands on one of them.

EDIT: Got one, and it does the trick.

New FIX linked here: http://www.modaco.com/topic/359664-offtopic-china-phone-discussion-20032013/page__st__2060#entry2157761

Have edited my build.prop and rebooted the phone, but have not had chance to check if it works yet, but fingers crossed.

Edited by SG8

• 2 months later...
Guest tallnutt

I have an iOcean X7 Youth Turbo, nothing on any of these posts works. MobileUncle will get a fix once, but then no other app can. Basically, this phone has no gps. Bluetooth gps is the way to go I think.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest whistler114

I bought my Vowney in July and installed the custom ROM (repack) by tillaz straight away.  GPS never worked but I didn't really miss it because I didn't use it that much.

I wanted to try an MIUI ROM so 2 days ago I installed Miui Ver 3.11.8 from needrom and GPS now works right out of the box!  It took 2 minutes to find a lock on the first attempt but I was in London yesterday and it found a lock on google maps within 20 seconds.  Plus MIUI is very nice :)