How to root your Hudl [updated: latest supported ROM 20131016.200812]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest XsponyX

Hi guys complete linux noob here. Im taking great interest in this as i have a hudl which is great but i have to root it (i cant help myself)

ive rooted every device ive owned but not on linux! following your method ive hit a wall , in terminal im trying to execute the the flashroot command but i get the 'sudo: ./flashroot.hudl.linux.sh: command not found' so am i doing something basically wrong? many thanks for any guidance!

Guest premkang

Hi

Has anyone had any luck using the Kingo tool with Windows 7 x64?  I ask because although the tool runs it does not detect the Hudl.  The Hudl is showing in Device Manager as 'Other Device' and has no drivers installed.  Is this because there are no 64-bit drivers?

Will Windows Xp work?

Many thanks for any guidance.

Paul

You need to install the driver from the RKTools in this forum in another thread. Definitely work, I've just rooted mine again this evening (I had used the chinese one but it was playing up a little)

Edited by premkang

Guest XsponyX

Kingo definitely works, I used it earlier today

did you have to download any additional drivers as kingo cant detect my hudl, what version of windows are you running?

did you have to download any additional drivers as kingo cant detect my hudl, what version of windows are you running?

See post above yours: Installing drivers from RKTools seems to work. Here's the download (from here).

Guest Pieronip

I tried the Chinese rooting software and this downloaded a driver for Samsung Mobile Phone - ROMaster Composite ADB Interface.  It then proceeded to root the phone with Chinese SU.  Despite my best attempts, I  have been unable to replace the Chinese SU with Superuser, which installs but will not 'take over'.

I then turned to Kingo and used it to unroot.  This suceeded and removed the Chinese SU and SuperUser.  I then used Kingo to re-root.

Now the strange thing is that all root apps work fine including Root Checker, but Superuser wil not update and shows no apps in its permitted list.  Output from superuser update is as follows

Downloading manifest – okay!

Parsing manifest – okay!

Latest version = 3.1.1

Checking installed version = 1.45:SUPERSU

Fixing database – okay!

Unpacking sutools – okay!

Checking current install path - /system/bin/su

Downloading new binary – okay!

Gaining root access – okay!

Copying su to /system – okay!

Changing su file mode to 06755- okay!

Making sure new su works – fail!

All ok until the last line!

Does anyone know what is wrong?

TIA.

Edited by Pieronip

Guest Roy Hudl
Now the strange thing is that all root apps work fine including Root Checker, but Superuser wil not update and shows no apps in its permitted list.  Output from superuser update is as follows

Downloading manifest – okay!

Parsing manifest – okay!

Latest version = 3.1.1

Checking installed version = 1.45:SUPERSU

Fixing database – okay!

Unpacking sutools – okay!

Checking current install path - /system/bin/su

Downloading new binary – okay!

Gaining root access – okay!

Copying su to /system – okay!

Changing su file mode to 06755- okay!

Making sure new su works – fail!

I have tried the Chinese VRoot program with the same results - hudl is rooted, but the su which is installed then won't allow itself to be  overwritten/updated (same log messages as above).    It will do for the time being, but I'm uneasy about running an unknown Chinese app at su level.   This might be a backdoor for anything. 

I tried booting a Ubuntu disk and doing it properly by Paul's method, but the complexities of linux defeated me.  Hopefully there will be an idiot guide soon, or a trusted Windows app. 

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Have a look at my method, that I posted a while ago... I threw it out there before even getting the Hudl. Now that I got one, I can confirm that it does indeed work. Its easy, listed how to do/use it... and bonus part, its all in English ;)

http://www.modaco.com/topic/365477-easy-root-tool-that-may-work-for-the-hudl/

Cheers, Lister

Guest Pieronip

Have a look at my method, that I posted a while ago... I threw it out there before even getting the Hudl. Now that I got one, I can confirm that it does indeed work. Its easy, listed how to do/use it... and bonus part, its all in English ;)

http://www.modaco.com/topic/365477-easy-root-tool-that-may-work-for-the-hudl/

Cheers, Lister

Yep - the Kingo app definitely works once your PC has drivers.  I think I need to play a game of 'Hunt the SU' to try to get rid of spurious installs.

Guest Pieronip

I have now got it working properly.  I used Kingo to un-root.  Then I searched for any surviving instances of SU.  It seemed to have been placed in /system, /system/bin and /system/xbin.  I removed all leftovers and rebooted.  I then used Kingo to root which succeeded.  Kingo injected SuperSU instead of Superuser and this seems to work perfectly.

In summary, I recommend Kingo for rooting but you will need the ROMMaster ADB Composite Interface drivers installed first.  I assume that is what installs from the RKTools package.

Edited by Pieronip

Guest XsponyX

Have you enabled USB debugging?

just a note ive extracted the file to the desktop, terminal does not recognise that as a directory,as im new to terminal commands what 

should i type for termnal to execute the sh file ? would it be close to  'home/desktop/hudl.system.withsu.20130923.020558.r2 sudo ./flashroot.hudl.linux.sh' ?

i thank you again

Guest XsponyX

i get this message when i try to execute the ./flashroot.hudl.linux.sh: file  - './flashroot.hudl.linux.sh: line 3: ./rkflashtool-linux: cannot execute binary file'

my hudl is in recovery mode as far as i can tell following the method anyone got a piece of advice? 

thanks again.

Make sure you are typing "sudo ./flashroot.hudl.linux.sh". From your post, it looks like you may have left out the sudo.

If that's not the problem, maybe try typing "chmod +x rkflashtool-linux". If that command doesn't work, try the same command with "sudo" at the start.

Guest XsponyX

Make sure you are typing "sudo ./flashroot.hudl.linux.sh". From your post, it looks like you may have left out the sudo.

If that's not the problem, maybe try typing "chmod +x rkflashtool-linux". If that command doesn't work, try the same command with "sudo" at the start.

will give this a try and update you thanks for the swift reply  :D

Guest jamesglanville

Has anyone tried rooting the new hudl firmware (got a replacement due to faulty mic, build number is JDQ39.20131016.200812)?

EDIT: kingo works fine for this.

Edited by jamesglanville

Guest TechWhizZ199

I am quite confused which usb driver i need to root the hudl using kingo or the chinese rooting program, anyone give me a step by step for windows , i am using windows xp, and my hudl is the right version.

Also when i select unknown device to update driver in device manager and i select the rktool driver folder it says the specified file doesnt have information of your device (the hudl is currently on at this point when i did this with usb degging on), anyone know how to fix this?

Edited by TechWhizZ199

Guest glossywhite

I am quite confused which usb driver i need to root the hudl using kingo or the chinese rooting program, anyone give me a step by step for windows , i am using windows xp, and my hudl is the right version.

Also when i select unknown device to update driver in device manager and i select the rktool driver folder it says the specified file doesnt have information of your device (the hudl is currently on at this point when i did this with usb degging on), anyone know how to fix this?

Come on - you're the "Tech Whizz" ;)

Edited by glossywhite

Kingo worked for me eventually, after I'd downloaded and unzipped the huge Android SDK (cut-down version apparently available) and when the next driver install failed as ever, pointed it manually ('have disk') at "sdk | extras | google | usb_driver" and within that to "android_winusb.inf" (...long anxious wait).  That worked on Win7Starter, I hadn't got drivers right on XPpro.  My previous failed efforts had loaded the elderly MTP drivers from Microsoft, and opened the sdk via Eclipse, either or both may be needed, maybe not.  Couldn't see what to do with RKtools, or Archos drivers.

The Linux method at the start of this thread didn't work for me on Mint32 or Mint64liveCD.  Terminal wouldn't run the instruction (with su, and extra chmod), even though dir confirmed directory content.  Got furthest on the 64-bit kit, using the bash lines from post #43 above, but then each line of the following script threw an error.  Not an expert in terminal!  And how does it know which USB socket to use?

The Chinese method counted %s first, then showed some sort of activity bar forever.  Not enough Chinese to investigate!

Persistence pays, and it's certainly educational...

Guest glossywhite

Kingo worked for me eventually, after I'd downloaded and unzipped the huge Android SDK (cut-down version apparently available) and when the next driver install failed as ever, pointed it manually ('have disk') at "sdk | extras | google | usb_driver" and within that to "android_winusb.inf" (...long anxious wait).  That worked on Win7Starter, I hadn't got drivers right on XPpro.  My previous failed efforts had loaded the elderly MTP drivers from Microsoft, and opened the sdk via Eclipse, either or both may be needed, maybe not.  Couldn't see what to do with RKtools, or Archos drivers.

The Linux method at the start of this thread didn't work for me on Mint32 or Mint64liveCD.  Terminal wouldn't run the instruction (with su, and extra chmod), even though dir confirmed directory content.  Got furthest on the 64-bit kit, using the bash lines from post #43 above, but then each line of the following script threw an error.  Not an expert in terminal!  And how does it know which USB socket to use?

The Chinese method counted %s first, then showed some sort of activity bar forever.  Not enough Chinese to investigate!

Persistence pays, and it's certainly educational...

Why wouldn't you just Google: "ADB driver installer", instead of downloading 400Mb+ of stuff you don't need... :S

http://adbdriver.com/

Guest jonoathome

Thanks, Paul - worked a treat. Although it's mentioned later in the thread, it might be worth editing the top post to indicate that the rkflashtool executable in your download link is 64bit (I had to compile a 32bit version for my use)?

Hey @~pmv could you share your 32bit version ?

Thanks in advance..

Edited by jonoathome

Guest slannesh

Why wouldn't you just Google: "ADB driver installer", instead of downloading 400Mb+ of stuff you don't need... :S

http://adbdriver.com/

Have to say I tried this, using the adbdriver and on my PC, I could not for the life of me get it to recognise the Hudl with anything but the microsoft driver. I am no slouch when it comes to PC's but no matter what I did to uninstall drivers etc it wouldn't work. Luckily for me, I have a laptop, which had never seen the Hudl.

I connected the Hudl, let it install the normal driver. Then I installed the driver on their from the adbdriver download. The adbdriver program showed the device as an "Android Composite ADB Interface" (for reference my PC showed Rockusb device - prob after several failed attempts to get the RKTools driver to work, even though device manager is showing the microsoft driver in use!).

As others have said once Kingo saw the device, it rooted with no issues at all.

Time to start playing  :)

Edited by slannesh

Guest glossywhite

Hey @~pmv could you share your 32bit version ?

Thanks in advance..

Since Paul is not responding, and hasn't for many weeks (even to PMs), I am creating a warning thread re-directing to his, which notifies hackers of the 64 bit arch of the rkflashtool.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

You can now root your Hudl! :)

YOU USE THIS TOOL AT YOUR OWN RISK! We take no responsibility for any problems caused.

Pre-requisites are as follows:

• A computer running Linux (a live CD should work) - I am currently looking at the Windows / OS X options
  • A Hudl running ROM version 20130923.020558 (check in Settings -> About -> Hudl Updates) - do NOT install on other versions
  • A microUSB cable to connect the Hudl to your computer
  • A pin to press the reset button
To root your Hudl...
  • download this package DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: f32f67b3d7942a0d0ec2da3323833813
  • extract the zip
  • plug the hudl in via USB and press the reset pin while holding volume up (the device will appear to stay off)
  • open a terminal window to the extracted directory
  • run 'sudo ./flashroot.hudl.linux.sh'
  • wait for it to complete
  • the device will now go into 'charging' mode, turn it on as normal
  • when the device has booted, install SuperSU from the Play Store
  • try a root app - it should work!
This is just an initial root - if this is too daunting or you don't have access to a Linux box, don't worry, we're working on alternative options. :)

Note that the process creates a backup of your stock system image... just in case... :)

P

PS ROM developers? This flashes a regular Ext4 system image. If you want to mod your device? You can, by modding the image and re-flashing! :)

Paul, the image is not EXT4, it's EXT3.

Edited by glossywhite

Got my 64gb SD card from Amazon as recommended in post #49 above.  Hudl wouldn't recognise it to format it (delivered 'RAW'; Hudl showed only a tiny card icon with an exclamation mark).  Linux wouldn't 'mount' it either.  So I used Windows to format it as FAT32, with 'guiformat.exe' - but Windows only formats to 27.47gb.  So, back into Linux ('mount'...) which recognised it this time, and happily formatted again (as 'FAT') to full 64gb capacity (...'unmount').  Then into Hudl, which at last showed full available space as per the advice earlier in the thread.  Maybe there's an easier way for cleverer people, but this one does work.