Stock Hudl ROM for RKTools [updated: latest available ROM 20131016.200812]

Guest PaulOBrien

Why don't you just wipe/factory reset you hudl via loading into recovery and start again.

Or via entering the boot loader (press reset with volume up pressed) erase flash and reflash original stock image and start again - the only issue you may have here is sorting out and windows drivers to ensure when in bootloder mode rktool in widows recognise your hudl.

If you don't want to carry out either 'slash and burn' techniques good luck to ya. Starting again may appear dramatic but it's the easiest solution IMHO.

.... it's virtually impossible to completely brick a hudl and judging from your previous posts your main issues seem to be windows driver issues - what do you want to ultimately do and what exact steps have you already taken to try and do this?

With more detail you stand a much better chance of someone on here helping you sort this.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jazman

OK, this is a long shot I know <_<

The issue revolves around Windows drivers & RKTools, the Hudl is recognised by Windows as a 'Hudl' but of course it is not recognised by RKTools as it requires rockusb drivers.

Ideally I need to uninstall the drivers and more importantly uninstall the driver package, because otherwise everytime I connect the Hudl after having uninstalled the drivers Windows simply fetches the existing drivers from the repository/driver store. I will also need to uninstall the binary files of the driver package.

I have tried updating the drivers but to no avail, I get either the message that Windows has determined that the driver software for your device is up to date or Windows could not find driver software for your device.

So at the moment I am unable to use RKTools due to this issue.

I have disabled automatic driver software installation

I am running Win8 64bit

Paul

If you connect the hudl to the PC (it recognises it etc) then reboot the hudl into boot loader mode while still connected to your PC, on my win7 64bit PC it finds new hardware and you had an option to search or specify the drivers?

OK, this is a long shot I know <_<

The issue revolves around Windows drivers & RKTools, the Hudl is recognised by Windows as a 'Hudl' but of course it is not recognised by RKTools as it requires rockusb drivers.

Ideally I need to uninstall the drivers and more importantly uninstall the driver package, because otherwise everytime I connect the Hudl after having uninstalled the drivers Windows simply fetches the existing drivers from the repository/driver store. I will also need to uninstall the binary files of the driver package.

I have tried updating the drivers but to no avail, I get either the message that Windows has determined that the driver software for your device is up to date or Windows could not find driver software for your device.

So at the moment I am unable to use RKTools due to this issue.

I have disabled automatic driver software installation

I am running Win8 64bit

Paul

Try this driver auto installer for windows 8 if you are still having problems https://www.copy.com...verAssitant.zip

Its from this website http://www.rockchip.nl/downloads/

Guest Jazman

Hello @CaptainMidnight & @rob4x4, thanks so much for your suggestions, unfortunately no joy I'm afraid.

I have decided to go down another route and that is by installing the Helios ROM; I have posted a query at Freaktab to seek some assistance with installing the Helios ROM via Linux, and I know that @CaptainMidnight is a visitor there <_<

Paul

Guest Thomas J Marshall

I have packaged up the full stock Hudl ROM (20130923.020558) into a package for flashing with the RKTools windows utility. MoDaCo member CaptainMidnight has also repackaged the newer version (20131016.200812) for your downloading please! :)

These should be useful if you want to return your device to stock state. I've flashed my device fine - you use this at your own risk of course.

• Image download (20130923.020558) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)- MD5: 530c3b6c69155e7ea0f2d1c6b995f845
  • Image download (20131016.200812) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)- MD5: f694ce21056260db8ae0e5cc9f1a4431
  • RKTools 1.7 download (drivers included) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)
To use, extract the tools and image zips, connect your device, press the reset pin while holding volume up and install drivers if prompted. Click the '...' button to load the image. Box 1 should be green as shown below, when it is, hit 'Restore' to flash your device.

P

I'm having difficulty getting this to work, can I flash the image from recovery rather than rktools?

Hi, as far as I'm aware, no, it must be flashed via RKTools in Windows or broken down back into the individual partition images and flashed in Linux via rkflashtool.

• 1 month later...
Guest Donnyguy

RKTools 1.7 wont work the pc is letting the Hudl connect as I can here the sound it makes a a usb has been plugged in but the RKTools 1.7 is not going green is there any other tool I can use to restore the stock onto my device

• 3 months later...

Updated ROM based on OTA v1.3.1

Ok - created a new updated stock ROM image 20140424.153851 single image - this will allow anyone to flash their hudl to the latest OTA ROM version in one go.

• Image download (20140424.153851) - DOWNLOAD (DropBox)- MD5: 26f10a3ee564115a69ea61ad3b1f92fe

(Thanks to sirius-c for the backup images used, my debian partition is still being re-built, Paul please update post title, cheers)  :ninja:

(2015-02-21 : Image re-upped now that I have more DB space and less download traffic.)  :wacko:

Edited by Guest

Guest sirius-c

Updated ROM based on OTA v1.3.1

Ok - created a new updated stock ROM image 20140424.153851 single image - this will allow anyone to flash their hudl to the latest OTA ROM version in one go.

• Image download (20140424.153851) - DOWNLOAD (DropBox)- MD5: 26f10a3ee564115a69ea61ad3b1f92fe

(Thanks to sirius-c for the backup images used, my debian partition is still being re-built, Paul please update post title, cheers)  :ninja:

Thanks for this Cap'n

praise.gif

*EDIT*

could I ask how you converted the files to IMG or is it simply to advanced to explain, if so could you point me in the right direction and send me on my way :)

Edited by sirius-c

I was going to make it via a kitchen, but in the end it's nothing as complicated. SifJar's tool thread shows you how http://www.modaco.com/topic/366230-tools-useful-tools-for-tinkerers/

It's just unpacking a previous .IMG file, replacing the 6x images and adjusting some config files for dates etc. (it's 6x partitions as the backup partition is in a sub folder etc. Nothing complicated, just more to learn.

Guest sirius-c

I made an IMG ROM using this exact method but didn't want to post as I wasn't sure what should be put in the config files, I don't think it matters does it?

I'm currently uploading my converted Linux backups to dropbox for all us micro$haft minions, it's going to take 4 hrs so I'm off to bed will post in a new thread tomorrow

Edited by sirius-c

Guest TC05

Hi Everybody, I'm new to the forum, & new to tinkering with Android files & rooting.

So I have a problem, I've been browsing through the answers to others in a similar situation on the forum but haven't found any solution for a problem quite like mine.

I have a hudl that I rooted with Kingo ROOT to add an extra 3GB of memory with Roehsoft RAM expander which has been working fine. The new update 1.3.1 came and I decided (foolishly) to try and update. I unrooted with SU which was successful and then did a Factory Reset. The reset worked and I entered the set up and email details which then automatically went to install new update.

Downloaded Update, it then displayed checking integrity then Restart to install Update.

Restarts the installing System Update then an ERROR! after a while hudl will resart with the screen "Problem connecting... Check your Wi-Fi connection. tapped the "Check Wi-Fi" button and the screen "Update Available" appears again.

So now I'm in a loop and can't go anywhere.

I can connect the hudl to the internet and view the files which all appear to be empty 

I have tried "rktools17" with "hudl.20131016.200812.stock.rktools"  &  "hudl.20130923.020558.stock.rktools" but it does not recognise the device

Am I snookered or is there a way out of this?

Any help would be highly appreciated

Thank you in advance.

Edited by TC05

I have tried "rktools17" with "hudl.20131016.200812.stock.rktools"  &  "hudl.20130923.020558.stock.rktools" but it does not recognise the device

Am I snookered or is there a way out of this?

Sorry TC05 but you really need to be more specific when asking for help - what do you actually mean by 'does not recognise the device' - does this mean?

Do you mean when trying to revert to a stock image using the details/guide in the sirius-c thread that the rktools software doesn't give you a green device light, even after you have installed the required drivers and the hudl is in bootloader mode?

Deciding to un-root before doing the upgrade, not really sure what benefit that gave you - if the upgrade had worked it would have probably just meant that you would have lost root access - I know because that's what happened when I upgraded a different hudl that had been rooted with kingo, all I then had to do was re-root after the upgrade.

Personally I'm happy to help try and sort out what's going on with your hudl but PLEASE open a new thread - forum admins don't seem to exist at the moment and I'd put money on some if not all your current issues with reverting to a previous stock ROM or the latest stock ROM available have already been covered i.e. driver issues.

Guest TC05

Sorry CaptainMidnight if I didn't explain myself properly, I'm not used to these terms.

I will start a new thread and hope that we can go from there.

Thanks

Guest maxxxivo

My problem is that i can't re-root my hudl with Kingo app after 1.3.1 update ( i've tried Kingo app on Win8 and WinXP - no result).

Is it shure that Kingo app works on 1.3.1 updated hudls?

Guest sirius-c

My problem is that i can't re-root my hudl with Kingo app after 1.3.1 update ( i've tried Kingo app on Win8 and WinXP - no result).

Is it shure that Kingo app works on 1.3.1 updated hudls?

Yes, it worked for me on win 7 pro x64, have you installed all drivers correctly before using Kingo method? Edited by sirius-c

Guest LesWT

Yes, it worked for me on win 7 pro x64, have you installed all drivers correctly before using Kingo method?

I can confirm it works on win 7 32 bit but you must use the latest version of Kingo. I tried to use the version I had on my pc from December

but it just hung the Hudl with multi coloured lines across the screen.

Guest maxxxivo

Sorry, yes that's a given - always use the latest Kingo version. Point noted

I have downoaded the Kingo app from their site and then tried to root it, but may be there is some problem with Win 8 .