Huawei Y300 - Ext-SD Apps & folder behaviour

Guest jdwis

In Huawei Y300 we got Android ver 4.1.1, original EmotionUI used to put all apps on the main screens, no drawers facility.

Changing ROM to FusionX or Free your mind or Touch.... any I have noticed this behaviour.

Using Link2SD to move files to Ext-SD partition, just to save some extra space on internal SD card.

All light weight apps are moved to SD card.

Scenario-

Made a few short cut of those few apps (SD-card) on main screen, so that u can access it easily - a general behaviour.

Made at least one folder on Main screen and put one- or few apps (SD -card) shortcuts in there. - a simple use of grouping via folder.

Now when u connect the phone to your computer for transferring files to/from phone, as soon as internal and external SD card appears on the Laptop, on the Phone's main screen, the direct links and the links we made in the folder for Ext-SD card apps - disappears.

I understand that its not accessible at this point of time - but it just DISAPPEARS.

Now ejecting the mounted drives from Laptop for Int/Ext-SD cards, the phone would mount back the SD cards, but the DISAPPEARED links does not come back and remains empty in place...

My question is, is this the beaviour of the ROMs as its ported from original ROM or is the problem with Android ver which is 4.1.1?

Guest jackosterman

I keep most of my apps on an sd-ext partition and have had no issues with homescreen shortcuts, on stock or otherwise. I'm no expert, but as you've already tried different ROMs with (I'll assume) clean installs, I'd probably just backup, reformat and repartition your memory card.

Edited by jackosterman

Could please tell me how and what app do u use to move apps to SD-Ext?

I have done a full wipe, proper format the card, and clean install.

We have 1GB Internal SD-Card space - thats where I dont want to put and fill up the space.

I have 16GB card, partitioned 1GB as ext SD-card (Ext4).

I have set to use "External" in Link2SD.

But all my apps are moved to "SD-card" and not "SD-Ext" partition?

Guest jackosterman
But all my apps are moved to "SD-card" and not "SD-Ext" partition?
Also using Link2SD, with a ~1GB ext2 partition on my memory card. You'll have to set your default install location to 'Internal' to get your apps automatically linked to your sd-ext partition. Of course, make sure you've checked 'Auto link' in the settings. For your previously installed apps, use Link2SD to manually create your links (this'll work regardless of whether they're already in your internal storage or SD card). Remember that the link scripts essentially 'fool' your OS into thinking your apps have been installed to the internal memory, which is why the install location setting is 'Internal', not 'External'. If all fails, try recreating your mount scripts with Link2SD, reboot, then relink your application files/libs/dalvik and reboot once more (menu button/More). Edited by jackosterman

Also using Link2SD, with a ~1GB ext2 partition on my memory card. You'll have to set your default install location to 'Internal' to get your apps automatically linked to your sd-ext partition. Of course, make sure you've checked 'Auto link' in the settings. For your previously installed apps, use Link2SD to manually create your links (this'll work regardless of whether they're already in your internal storage or SD card). Remember that the link scripts essentially 'fool' your OS into thinking your apps have been installed to the internal memory, which is why the install location setting is 'Internal', not 'External'. If all fails, try recreating your mount scripts with Link2SD, reboot, then relink your application files/libs/dalvik and reboot once more (menu button/More).

ok thanks

will try it and check it out tonight

You'll have to set your default install location to 'Internal' to get your apps automatically linked to your sd-ext partition.

Ok, my phone is Huwaei Y300 and am using "Free your mind" ROM at the moment.

There are two places for setting default storage location

1) System settings > Device > Storage > "Default storage location" >> a) SD Card ... b) Internal Storage

2) Link2SD > Settings > Install location > a) Automatic.. b) Internal... c) External

where do I set this default  installlocation to "internal" please?

Guest jackosterman

There are two places for setting default storage location

1) System settings > Device > Storage > "Default storage location" >> a) SD Card ... b) Internal Storage

2) Link2SD > Settings > Install location > a) Automatic.. b) Internal... c) External

where do I set this default installlocation to "internal" please?

Hm. While the setting I was referring to was Link2SD > Settings > Install location, I just ran a test and it turns out that as long as Auto-link is checked (within the Link2SD settings), it doesn't seem to matter what you've chosen -- new installs will get linked regardless.

Are you able to manually link previously installed apps? (Tap on app via the Link2SD UI and hit 'Create link', then check all the items.) If not, try recreating your mount scripts.

Hm. While the setting I was referring to was Link2SD > Settings > Install location, I just ran a test and it turns out that as long as Auto-link is checked (within the Link2SD settings), it doesn't seem to matter what you've chosen -- new installs will get linked regardless.

Are you able to manually link previously installed apps? (Tap on app via the Link2SD UI and hit 'Create link', then check all the items.) If not, try recreating your mount scripts.

May be I m not able to understand some missing steps..

I have attached some pics here

Please look at it, I have tried uploading it step by step..

image-1 - system settings - default store location - set to sd card

img2 - link2sd - store location - set to external (the whole process I tried with Internal as well but have not taken the pic for ref)

img3 - link2sd settings - as u mentioned I have ticked all

img4 - link2sd storage info

img5 - App - Android sensor box moved to sd card

img6 - created shortcut for it on home screen

Now I connected phone to computer, to use files from sd card - (mounting sd card - for copy etc)

img7 - the app shortcut disappears - as soon as things are mounted and connected to PC

img8 - as u mentioned, I recreated scripts, as while partitioning in TWRP I had used ext4, so here also I used ext4...

Nothing works as u can see...

same process i tried with "Internal" as well as mentioned earlier.

what am i doing wrong?

post-660824-0-78500800-1381442678_thumb.

post-660824-0-63878900-1381442679_thumb.

post-660824-0-61645400-1381442680_thumb.

post-660824-0-74293400-1381442681_thumb.

post-660824-0-40558600-1381442683_thumb.

post-660824-0-59876100-1381442686_thumb.

post-660824-0-26153400-1381442689_thumb.

post-660824-0-32108000-1381442690_thumb.

Guest jackosterman

Regarding your homescreen shortcuts, hopefully someone else can chime in, as I've got no real idea. All I can tell you is that this isn't expected behavior. As a potential workaround, and since you've gone through the trouble of setting up your ext4 partition, have you tried manually linking apps yet? You've only moved Android Sensor Box to the main FAT32 partition of your SD card, not your ext4 partition. Open up Link2SD and tap on Android Sensor Box. At the bottom left, hit the 'Create link' button. Check the available options (application, dalvik and possibly library files) and hit OK. Now test if your shortcut sticks after an SD card mount.

Edited by jackosterman

Regarding your homescreen shortcuts, hopefully someone else can chime in, as I've got no real idea. All I can tell you is that this isn't expected behavior. As a potential workaround, and since you've gone through the trouble of setting up your ext4 partition, have you tried manually linking apps yet? You've only moved Android Sensor Box to the main FAT32 partition of your SD card, not your ext4 partition. Open up Link2SD and tap on Android Sensor Box. At the bottom left, hit the 'Create link' button. Check the available options (application, dalvik and possibly library files) and hit OK. Now test if your shortcut sticks after an SD card mount.

Brilliant...

Thanks man that sorted.

That was link, I created as you said and it did work, no more disappearance of the shortcuts..

thanks, really helpful :D appreciated!!