Hudl update ready for download.

Guest Rem1x

Well, obviously it'll unroot them. Maybe one of the "ota root keeper" apps would work to maintain root. Otherwise, root should certainly be possible after update. A new rooted system IMG would be needed for doing it that way, but flashing CWM recovery (possible with rkflashtools and the CWM img from inside that one custom ROM) and then installing a superSU.zip (easily found online) with CWM should work. Kingo may still work, or Tesco may have fixed whatever exploit(s) it uses.

Absolute worst case scenario, you can just reflash the stock ROM Paul posted to downgrade back to a rootable version.

EDIT: report that Kingo works: http://www.modaco.com/topic/365530-how-to-root-your-hudl/page-6#entry2170196

EDIT: Had an actual look at the update. It may actually not remove root by the looks of things.

Edited by SifJar

Guest glossywhite

Gonna sniff this update on wireshark - hold tight ;)

[uPDATE]:

## Well I can tell you this much; the file is called "ht7s3-ota-20130923.020558_v1.2rc3--to--20131016.200812_v1.3rc2.zip" whilst downloading.

## It stores this file in /cache, and renames it to "update.zip" once downloaded.

## Once the update is downloaded and self-renamed by hudl to "update.zip", I pulled it to my PC via adb, and then DELETED IT FROM /cache VIA "adb shell" to stop it updating.

## Once I have deleted it, I press restart and it tells me it cannot verify the update (obviously, since I deleted it :D)

[Download the 16MB update file "20131016.200812 v1.3rc2"] (ZIP)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e92glb1r2z2yhzl/update_aka_ht7s3-ota-20130923.020558_v1.2rc3--to--20131016.200812_v1.3rc2.zip?dl=1

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Does anyone know what changes this update actually makes to the device?

Yep - it converts Android to iOS 7 :D

Edited by glossywhite

Does anyone know what changes this update actually makes to the device?

A bunch of fairly small patches for a lot of apps, libraries and a couple of other things. Also a new recovery.

Guest glossywhite

A bunch of fairly small patches for a lot of apps, libraries and a couple of other things. Also a new recovery.

Pity they didn't use some common sense and make the recovery partition "CWM" :p

OK, I'm a sucker for a challenge - hudl previously rooted via Paul's method - checked for update, accepted update and on rebooting android update fails.

After resetting via pin hole at the back, hudl powers up again in perfect working order in previous build number, root and all previous mods still in place. I haven't yet updated my recovery image with CWM as I'm trying to work through doing this by itself i.e. via rkflashtool.

In short ota update just fails on pre-rooted hudls (with the above caveat i.e. Paul's way).

Edited by Guest

Hi glossywhite, I've also just got my partners red hudl, which will need setup etc probably forcing an update. But, I'll the Kingo(?) rooted method - which someone has said the previous build + Kingo root updated OK.

If that works would be able to the take an image etc etc i.e should then have an ota updatable hudl image - what do you think?

Guest TechWhizZ199

Hello. Guys can someone tell me how to install the USB driver for the hudl so I can root using Kingo android root or the Chinese mgyun vroot method? Anyone? Do I use the rktools driver and how do I install it, since my computer is showing unknown device and USB not recognised, I am on windows xp.

Edited by TechWhizZ199