How to flash to the standard UK ROM

Guest PaulOBrien

Hey guys,

just one question: I want to unroot/relock my german device so it can get OTA updates from Motorola in the future. I downloaded the appropriate image-file from here (xda). 

Can I just replace the files from the zip-file here or do I need other stuff to revert my device back to its original state? 

Guest clayts450

I found another reason to flash the standard firmware, if you have Tesco firmware you can't change the number setup for voicemail. 

Yes, just discovered this - bit of a pain in the proverbial, isn't it ?

Time to change it then, thanks to this brilliant guide :)

Problem: I have the global version bought in the US and tried Paul's method on a mac, while most of the steps seem working well, I got some pink lines on the phone while flashing, such as "jab check failed for system" and "Invalid PIV signed system image". 

Now the process is done but the phone wouldn't boot. It'll show a purple Moto sign and then go to recovery mode directly. Anyone know where went wrong? Thanks!

Guest MrFizzy

I found another reason to flash the standard firmware, if you have Tesco firmware you can't change the number setup for voicemail.

I don't have this problem. I just put my VM SIM in and when I hold 1 it dials the right number! All I've done is unlock the phone, no other jiggers pockery!

Guest chodu666

Hi

Can someone please confirm if I need to unlock the boot loader to flash the standard UK rom.

When I power up with volume down held down the phone goes into safe mode.

Is that the right mode I need to be in to flash the rom?

Thanks

Guest Meelouw

Hej !

I can't install any apk on this, I know that bug isn't unknow but they are any solutions for this ? :/ (want xposed :()

/e is good after check the topic !

Edited by Meelouw

The key issue is whether the Moto G with Tesco Stores Ltd ROMs will get the KitKat update the same time as models with the standard UK retail ROM - the jury's out.

The Tesco Moto G is listed on the Motorola site & says it will get the 4.4 update, I see no reason why the retail version will get the update any sooner than the tesco.

https://motorola-global-en-uk.custhelp.com/app/software-upgrade-news/g_id/1994/session/L3RpbWUvMTM4MTM0NzQwMi9zaWQvcDh6ak5uQ2w=/action/auth

Guest willdashwood

Thanks for this Paul. Just got a Tesco Moto G today and wanted to get it back on to stock right from the start. For anyone like me who wants a complete idiots guide from taking the phone out of the box on a Windows 7 (64bit) OS...

1. Download and install the Motorola Device Manager.
  2. Download and extract zip from Paul's first post (remember location)
  3. With USB cable not connected and phone currently powered off, hold volume down button and then power. You should get a plain text screen with "AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)" as the first option.
  4. Connect USB cable again
  5. Let ADB drivers install
  6. Open a command window by clicking on start menu, typing "cmd" in the search box and clicking on the only option that appears (cmd.exe).
  7. Change directory to the location of the extract zip file. For example: "cd C:\Users\User\Downloads\RETAIL-GB_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_cid7_CFC_1FF_svc.xml.modaco.r3\"
  8. Type "flash-windows.bat"
  9. Once that's finished (should take a couple of minutes) just select "Normal Powerup" from menu by pressing volume up.

I hope that's accurate. Feel free to suggest changes if I've remembered the order wrong. I'm no expert but always find these step-by-step guides for us noobs really helpful.

Guest gavinfabl

Has anyone who has had a Tesco version and done the above received the kitkat ota update yet? Nothing yet but probably just released for US customers perhaps?

Guest zerosignull

Thanks for this Paul. Just got a Tesco Moto G today and wanted to get it back on to stock right from the start. For anyone like me who wants a complete idiots guide from taking the phone out of the box on a Windows 7 (64bit) OS...

1. Download and install the Motorola Device Manager.
  2. Download and extract zip from Paul's first post (remember location)
  3. With USB cable not connected and phone currently powered off, hold volume down button and then power. You should get a plain text screen with "AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)" as the first option.
  4. Connect USB cable again
  5. Let ADB drivers install
  6. Open a command window by clicking on start menu, typing "cmd" in the search box and clicking on the only option that appears (cmd.exe).
  7. Change directory to the location of the extract zip file. For example: "cd C:\Users\User\Downloads\RETAIL-GB_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_cid7_CFC_1FF_svc.xml.modaco.r3\"
  8. Type "flash-windows.bat"
  9. Once that's finished (should take a couple of minutes) just select "Normal Powerup" from menu by pressing volume up.

I hope that's accurate. Feel free to suggest changes if I've remembered the order wrong. I'm no expert but always find these step-by-step guides for us noobs really helpful.

+1 on the above. Ran from WIndows 8.1 x64. I ran the command Window in Admin mode just in case

Guest thaicbr

Ok.. maybe a dumb question BUT. I live in Thailand, I'm getting a Moto G from Tesco. will i get the OTA over here in Thailand if i stay on the Tesco ROM.. I really don't know how it works . previous phones didn't have OTA.

Thanks in advance

Guest plewis1981

Hi all, Happy New Year:)

just a quick question, I see there is a recovery.img file included in the download, so just wanted to check whether this will wipe CWM? If so would I be able to swap the stock recovery.img file for the CWM one before flashing

Thanks in advance,

Edit, forgot to say my bootloader is unlocked, I know it would not work on a locked bootloader.

Edited by plewis1981

Guest thatsnotme

Hello, I know it says it will on here, but can anyone confirm that when the UK OTA is eventually released it will come to de-branded tesco phones? Or will we need to flash KitKat manually?

Guest seraphim2017

Thanks for this Paul and others, flashed my Tesco 8gb last night, nice work!

No Kit Kat yet and phone wiped all personal data but didn'thave much on it anyway as it's a backup phone for when I emigrate.  Hopefully will get Kitkat OTA.

P.S cos I'm such a noob as it were, I tried the paul way and the Dos box just flashed up and instantly dissapeared. Don't know excactly what did make it work but work it did. 

Only regret is I quite liked the wallpaper tesco had on it!

Now unbranded and living on 3 until I get to australia! :)

thought i'd check antutu and it scores around 17,00 which i assume is normal? not quite the advent vega (35,000!) but still very smooth!

Guest Fedroid

Hi everyone

After flashing I am getting this is error message each the I try to install an apk file "There was a problem parsing the package" these files actually worked fine on the tesco ROM

Tried check unknown source in setting unchecked verify app.... Clear cache .... Used apk manager and none of these seems to work

Any help/ suggestion most welcome

This is a well known bug of Stock Jellybean. Some people have received a little ota that repairs it. I'm suffering this bug too and without ota fix the solution is to install apks from google drive or Otg cable.

Greeetings